Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Farling

Old December 13th, 2017, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
I actually bought realm works for the content market, planning on using sort as a pseudo-vtt. I am hoping they announce real soon which VTT they are working with, because I just bought a TV for my table and need some VTT software, may go FG and not worry about the CM any more, but I want to support Lone Wolf, because HeroLab is great and a VTT with good integration between HL and RW would be fantastic.
I used MapTool (and the Mote branch) to do the map side of map-revealing for a while. A lot of VTT have all sorts of things to help with mechanics, but those functions are not needed for playing at the same table.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #171 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old December 13th, 2017, 11:44 PM
Quote:
(...) a VTT with good integration between HL and RW would be fantastic.
Absolutely, +1.

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #172 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old December 14th, 2017, 03:49 AM
Amen. Give me one suite of tools that works together and I'll be a very happy GM.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #173 Reply With Quote
gaffneyks

Old December 14th, 2017, 05:26 AM
Quote:
I actually bought realm works for the content market, planning on using sort as a pseudo-vtt. I am hoping they announce real soon which VTT they are working with, because I just bought a TV for my table and need some VTT software, may go FG and not worry about the CM any more, but I want to support Lone Wolf, because HeroLab is great and a VTT with good integration between HL and RW would be fantastic.
Not to hijack the thread. But it kinda already has been.

I use Realm Works to DM both online and tabletop games.

For online, I use Fantasy Grounds. I have found that FG and Realm Works are two totally separate products that work very well together. (I have run POTA and Lost Mines for 5e online). I planned on just going with Fantasy Grounds to run those modules and not use Realm Works since I could purchase the official WOTC content for Fantasy Grounds but not Realm Works.

That did not work, FG does not provide the campaign management that RW does and quite frankly I found running the story from FG quite clunky. I ended up entering all the data by hand for LMOP and POTA into Realm Works and run the story from Realm Works(the players have the players copy and prefer that). The only issue I have, other than the data entry, is the players want me to sync RW during game play and the current way to sync requires me to exit the realm which kinda sucks.

For Tabletop I use Realm Work and not a VTT and display the image on a 2nd monitor via Realm Works smart image. I kinda go back and forth between showing a dungeon on realm works and using dungeon tiles, but Realm Works keeps crashing on me when i show smart images. So I might just bail on that idea and use dungeon tiles. Realm works is awesome for running the campaign.

It would be great if LWD for the content market somehow teamed up with a VTT or map tool so I could use Realm Works to run and adventure and just use the VTT for the maps. Even if LWD were able to get a license with WOTC to sell product, I am not sure I would want to pay for the content twice, once for Content Market and then pay Fantasy Grounds for the VTT maps. Actually 3 times since I always seem to want to have a book or PDF to read over prior to running something.

Last edited by gaffneyks; December 14th, 2017 at 05:28 AM.
gaffneyks is offline   #174 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old December 14th, 2017, 07:30 AM
Just so my question doesn't get completely buried/lost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidhc O Casain View Post
I know CM isn't ready, but is there anything you can share about the status of the Kickstarter content?
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #175 Reply With Quote
Jay_NOLA

Old December 14th, 2017, 09:44 AM
I honestly hope they work Realm Works to work with Fantasy Grounds in the future, but I'm seeing more content available for Fantasy Grounds that i would have expected to have seen Realm Works get first.

Integration of Realm Works into Fantasy Grounds I do know is something that others have wanted or some sort of linking of the two.

They paying for content two or thee or even 4 times is also a concern I'm having with Realm Works content market. You get a PDF, Hero Lab version, Realm Works version, and Fantasy Grounds version.
Jay_NOLA is offline   #176 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old December 14th, 2017, 11:11 AM
Yeah I get what LWD are saying in that Hero Lab and Realm Works are two different tools with two very different efforts required to create the content for each.

But that doesn't really matter. IMO they have created a single solution using two tools that would be better packaged (for the dm) as a single service and content sold as a single content pack.

Selling the same content in Hero Lab and Realm Works to allow the Dm to use their tools together is going to irritate users and make alternative tools look more attractive.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #177 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old December 14th, 2017, 11:54 AM
I have Hero Lab support integrated for MapTool in my fork and plan on integrating Realm Works if they ever release an api or URI scheme or some such...

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #178 Reply With Quote
Dhrakken

Old December 15th, 2017, 06:18 AM
Quote:
I also built my own TV tabletop and use roll20.net to display the maps. It's pretty easy to use and it has the added benefit of being able to easily display spells conditions like web, black tentacles etc...

So to round out the tools I use at my table, roll20.net as a VTT (GM view on my laptop and player view on the TV), Hero Labs for combat and initiative management and realm works for the campaign and story management. I've entered all my own data in Realm Works and now have no real need for the content market any more so I honestly don't care if or when it comes out. (unless of course they put out some content that knocks my socks off...)
Dhrakken is offline   #179 Reply With Quote
Dhrakken

Old December 15th, 2017, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_NOLA View Post
They paying for content two or thee or even 4 times is also a concern I'm having with Realm Works content market. You get a PDF, Hero Lab version, Realm Works version, and Fantasy Grounds version.
This is quite ridiculous.
Dhrakken is offline   #180 Reply With Quote