Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

djc664

Old September 3rd, 2014, 03:15 PM
Thank you for incorporating Dropbox into the iPad app. That is sure to save a bunch of time and headaches!

I'm trying to get a single folder in Dropbox to be shared among my gaming group in Dropbox, then using that to share the portfolios. When you link the account in the app, it creates a new folder every time... I had shared a folder with the same name, so it just added (1) to the end and kept them separate.

I assume this is due to the dropbox api, but I wanted to note the request for the management capability to alluded to as a future update. Unless I'm doing something wrong or there's a better way to get what I'm after right now...

Cheers!
djc664 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dimwhit

Old September 3rd, 2014, 07:56 PM
I'm curious...do you get to decide where on Dropbox you store the file? In your testing, can you freely open/edit the file on the iPad, then on your desktop, with all the changes saving properly?
Dimwhit is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 4th, 2014, 11:13 AM
djc664: Unfortunately, as I understand it, this isn't possible with the Dropbox API. The API only lets us write to one folder - Dropbox\Apps\Hero Lab, and that folder (based on what we've encountered in our testing) can't be shared between people.

Doing what you describe sounds cool, but unfortunately isn't possible based on the limitations that Dropbox imposes at this time.
Colen is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 4th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Dimwhit: Dropbox will create the folder for you. It's the folder Colen outlined above. If you Open and edit the portfolio on the iPad, the saved changes will be reflected when you open the character from that folder on the Desktop. The same goes from desktop to iPad. Does that answer your question?
liz is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Dimwhit

Old September 4th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz View Post
Dimwhit: Dropbox will create the folder for you. It's the folder Colen outlined above. If you Open and edit the portfolio on the iPad, the saved changes will be reflected when you open the character from that folder on the Desktop. The same goes from desktop to iPad. Does that answer your question?
That does, thanks.
Dimwhit is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Ladyofdragons

Old September 4th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
djc664: Unfortunately, as I understand it, this isn't possible with the Dropbox API. The API only lets us write to one folder - Dropbox\Apps\Hero Lab, and that folder (based on what we've encountered in our testing) can't be shared between people.

Doing what you describe sounds cool, but unfortunately isn't possible based on the limitations that Dropbox imposes at this time.
I'm glad to see that the old "pre-official" method still works. We have a shared dropbox folder with a LOT of characters from different campaigns in it, divided into campaign-specific folders. You can still open characters this way by going into dropbox on the ipad, picking the .por file and using the share icon and picking "open with", then choosing Hero Lab.

Sharing portfolios definitely trumps the quick-open in hero lab for our group.

-------------------------------------
"...You're going to backstab him with a ballista?"
Ladyofdragons is offline   #6 Reply With Quote