Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

seanabrady

Old March 10th, 2007, 10:51 AM
I did a quick search and could not find my answer so I thought I would post. I have been having fun making characters, converting my existing characters over to Hero Lab etc, and have really only encountered a few things I have questions/suggestions on. Hope someone can help.

1. Can someone point me to instructions that would allow me to change my Paladin's mount to a Boar? I see the editor, but I am not really sure where to start. The program does not seem to keep stats for the mount, just a name and type, so I guess I just need to create a new type.

2. Is it possible to modify a file to add a generic counter to the In-Play tab? I would like to create one for Action Points. Maybe something that I can type my own title into.

3. Is it possible to not display some skills? There seem to be some that are default, and I would like to hide some of them if I can.

4. Is there anyway to resize the summary columns? Also, If I have hidden some columns is there a way to get them back other than restarting?

5. "I did actually find this answer, hope it makes it in soon". I would like to assign some of my gear to my mount, and to my wagon. Is there a way to assign gear to other things? How about to something like a bag of holding?

Anyway, thanks for any help. I like the product, glad I purchased it.
seanabrady is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 10th, 2007, 11:40 AM
1. Open the file srd_paladinmounts.dat in notepad (or an XML editor). Then, cut and paste one of the entries. It looks like they haven't added editor support for those yet.

2. In srd_races.dat, go to the specials tab, and look at rGnSpeak - the Gnome's speak with animals ability - that has charges - so, make a copy of it, add the correct number of charges, and change the name and text. Next, go to the races tab, and click on the bootstraps for the gnome race - look at how rGnSpeak is added. Add your new special ability to either the races or classes you want to have it.

3. A long way to accomplish this would be to make new versions of each of the skills you want to hide, make sure to fill in the "Replaces ID" field, and check the "Must add manually" box - that will put the skill in with all the specific knowledges and performs. I don't know anything simpler.

4. In the file menu, select "Switch Game System" and select d20 - that will get the hidden columns back a little faster than restarting, but I haven't come across a better way.
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
seanabrady

Old March 11th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the reply. I will give these things a try.
seanabrady is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 12th, 2007, 12:14 AM
At 12:51 PM 3/10/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
3. Is it possible to not display some skills? There seem to be some that are default, and I would like to hide some of them if I can.
The easiest solution is to use the "hidden" mechanism. This is described in the chapter on Data Files wihtin the Authoring Kit documentation.

You'll find a walk-through on how to accomplish this in a thread from about 6 weeks ago. The title of that thread is "How do you remove races, languages etc......" and I outline how to hide a race. The process for a skill will be virtually identical.

Quote:
4. Is there anyway to resize the summary columns? Also, If I have hidden some columns is there a way to get them back other than restarting?
The width of the summary columns is currently fixed. What sort of resizing did you have in mind?

Colen and I had discussed unhiding summary columns via the View menu, but it appears that hasn't been added yet. I'll have to ask Colen about the status of this one.

Quote:
5. I would like to assign some of my gear to my mount, and to my wagon. Is there a way to assign gear to other things? How about to something like a bag of holding?
Your wish is our command. :-) This capability has been added in the new V1.0i release that just came out tonight!

-Rob
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
seanabrady

Old March 12th, 2007, 02:02 PM
I am fortunate enough to have access to a laptop with a 19" widescreen monitor. Gives me lots of room to play with. If I could hide a couple of columns and make others wider i could get an "in play" screen that contains just what I want, and not have to worry about things being cut off. It really is just aesthetics.

I just downloaded the i release and am checking it out now.

Thanks
seanabrady is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
phantomwhale

Old March 12th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob
At 12:51 PM 3/10/2007, you wrote:
Colen and I had discussed unhiding summary columns via the View menu, but it appears that hasn't been added yet. I'll have to ask Colen about the status of this one.
+1 for a View menu to bring back summary panels (or similar control). Resizeable columns would be useful too - I'm crafting my heroes on a wonderful 24" widescreen beast, and want to make as much use of my screen real estate as possible. That said, it looks pretty good as it stands at the moment.
phantomwhale is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 27th, 2007, 01:50 PM
At 07:16 PM 3/12/2007, you wrote:

>rob wrote:
>At 12:51 PM 3/10/2007, you wrote:
>Colen and I had discussed unhiding summary columns via the View
>menu, but it appears that hasn't been added yet. I'll have to ask
>Colen about the status of this one.
>
>
>+1 for a View menu to bring back summary panels (or similar
>control). Resizeable columns would be useful too - I'm crafting my
>heroes on a wonderful 24" widescreen beast, and want to make as much
>use of my screen real estate as possible. That said, it looks pretty
>good as it stands at the moment.

Currently our columns resize so that they take up as much space as
possible, but they try harder to get as many columns in as possible.
So to get more space for each column, you'd need to close other
summaries. Does that achieve what you're looking for?

--
Colen McAlister (colen@wolflair.com)
Chief Engineer, Lone Wolf Development
http://www.wolflair.com/
Colen is offline   #7 Reply With Quote