Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Exmortis

Old October 5th, 2017, 01:40 AM
Just took the Paizo survey, and Hero Lab was the only example of a character generator.

Pretty sweet when you are considered the only example worth mentioning.

/tip o the hat.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Winterfyre

Old October 5th, 2017, 08:38 AM
I believe Hero Lab is the only company that pays Paizo to officially license there material.

So the fact Paizo only listed the character creator they get money from isn't a fair indication as to the quality of the character creator, but more an indication they don't want to advertise free alternatives and lessen the revenue stream they get from HL
Winterfyre is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
LazarX

Old October 5th, 2017, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfyre View Post
I believe Hero Lab is the only company that pays Paizo to officially license there material.

So the fact Paizo only listed the character creator they get money from isn't a fair indication as to the quality of the character creator, but more an indication they don't want to advertise free alternatives and lessen the revenue stream they get from HL
They also don't want to advertise PCGen and then get all the backlash from the folks complaining that PCGen is incomplete, and a resource intensive Java hog.
That and the fact that Lone Wolf pays for the license deserves them consideration. You don't set up competition for the company that's actually your sole licensee.
LazarX is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Roadie

Old October 5th, 2017, 04:33 PM
I'm not surprised. PCGen is "okay" at best (and has the basic flaw of ugliness that a lot of open-source projects share), and for character generation with Pathfinder's bajillion books, there's nothing else out there good enough to even come up in a distant third place.
Roadie is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Pfhoenix

Old October 10th, 2017, 09:24 AM
It's important to also note that Paizo works strictly with LWO by purposeful decision. They refuse licensing opportunities that might compete with HL.
Pfhoenix is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 10th, 2017, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
only example of a character generator.
I took this survey and it was an "example" of a type of character generator and nothing more.

The question was "Do you use any character generation software (ie Hero Lab).". This is similar to question of "Do you use a smart phone (ie iPhone)".

The smart phone question does not mean only iPhones exist (or the company is getting paid off) it just means the most common name known is iPhone. Same with the HL name. Paizo is using it as a common name useful for providing an example. Adding more meaning than that to the survey is not needed.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old October 10th, 2017, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhoenix View Post
It's important to also note that Paizo works strictly with LWO by purposeful decision. They refuse licensing opportunities that might compete with HL.
I didn't know there was an exclusivity deal. Do you have a source for that?
Toblakai is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old October 10th, 2017, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
The question was "Do you use any character generation software (ie Hero Lab).". This is similar to question of "Do you use a smart phone (ie iPhone)".
Pro tip: "ie" is used to refer to a singular element, and "eg" is used to refer to an example from multiple possibilities.

So you could say something like: Do you use any character generation software (e.g. Hero Lab)?

Or you could say something like: Do you use LWD's character generation software (i.e. Hero Lab)?

The method I use to remember the difference is by thinking of "e.g." as "example given", which is actually close to the Latin (i.e. the language from which these abbreviations were derived).

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/edu...r/ie-versus-eg

EDIT: OK, I stated an error regarding the usage of i.e. It's not necessarily a single item so much as a finite list. "I like RPGs, i.e. Pathfinder and Shadowrun," means that of all the RPGs, those are the only two you like.

"I like RPGs, e.g. Pathfinder and Shadowrun," means those are just two examples of the RPGs you like, but you do like others as well.

Last edited by EightBitz; October 10th, 2017 at 10:27 AM.
EightBitz is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Pfhoenix

Old October 10th, 2017, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
I didn't know there was an exclusivity deal. Do you have a source for that?
Personal experience from talking with Paizo about licensing.
Pfhoenix is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 10th, 2017, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
Pro tip: "ie" is used to refer to a singular element, and "eg" is used to refer to an example from multiple possibilities.

So you could say something like: Do you use any character generation software (e.g. Hero Lab)?

Or you could say something like: Do you use LWD's character generation software (i.e. Hero Lab)?

The method I use to remember the difference is by thinking of "e.g." as "example given", which is actually close to the Latin (i.e. the language from which these abbreviations were derived).

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/edu...r/ie-versus-eg

EDIT: OK, I stated an error regarding the usage of i.e. It's not necessarily a single item so much as a finite list. "I like RPGs, i.e. Pathfinder and Shadowrun," means that of all the RPGs, those are the only two you like.

"I like RPGs, e.g. Pathfinder and Shadowrun," means those are just two examples of the RPGs you like, but you do like others as well.
If you can't deal with the way I write then here is a very nice set of other letters for you STFU!

Of course I mean that in the nicest way possible.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #10 Reply With Quote