Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Fuzzy

Old July 21st, 2012, 12:29 AM
So in my house campaign, we have a few house rules dealing with initial character creation. First, we have a Social Standing rule, where depending on which of the six social classes you were raised in, you will gain a +1 on a particular ability score.
Code:
Standing	  Ability Bonus
--------	-----------------
 Serf		 +1 Strength
 Outlaw		 +1 Dexterity
 Noble		 +1 Constitution
 Middle Class	 +1 Intelligence
 Freeholder	 +1 Wisdom
 Royal		 +1 Charisma
We also have a bonus feat that you get based on where you grew up. This is a choice of one of three available feats for that region.
Code:
Region			Feat Choices
------			-----------------
Barrier Mountains	Endurance, Great Fortitude, Iron Will
Black Empire		Athletic, Endurance, Great Fortitude
Cold Forest		Improved Initiative, Point-Blank Shot, Stealthy
etc......
I feel the best place to implement these items would be in the Factions category. The initial problem I came up against was how to limit to just one selection of each type of faction (one Social Standing faction, and one Region faction). Here is how I implemented it:

First, I had to tag each faction with what type it was. This was done with a simple user tag (Custom.SocStand, and Custom.Region).

Second, I had to make sure it wouldn't allow two of the same type to be selected. I implemented this with the following Pre-reqs script:
Code:
var soccount as number
soccount = 0
foreach pick in hero where "Custom.SocStand"
     soccount += 1
nexteach
if (@ispick <> 0) then
     validif (soccount <= 1)
else
     validif (soccount <= 0)
endif
the Pre-req script is run in two different conditions. It can be run on a pick (an already selected faction) to validate exiting picks, or it can be run on a thing, to build the list of valid choices when adding a faction. I want it to return a pick as valid if there is only one pick on the hero of that classification (having the Custom.SocStand tag). I also only want it to list a faction as an option to add if there are 0 factions of that classification currently picked.

I then run a similar Pre-req script for the Region factions.
Code:
var regcount as number
regcount = 0
foreach pick in hero where "Custom.Region"
     regcount += 1
nexteach
if (@ispick <> 0) then
     validif (regcount <= 1)
else
     validif (regcount <= 0)
endif
There may be a better way to do this, but this was the way I did it. I really like these types of settings as factions, because it means they stay on the Backgound tab, where they belong.
Fuzzy is offline   #1 Reply With Quote