Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

HiKaizer

Old March 28th, 2014, 05:07 AM
Is there a way to duplicate or have entries viewable in both? I think I can appreciate the intended differences between the two almanacs, but there are some important NPCs I want to have in the Story Almanac and in the World Almanac, but as far as I have found so far I am forced to chose one or the other.
HiKaizer is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
woobyluv

Old March 28th, 2014, 11:42 AM
I was noticing this too. My situation is a little different, though. For my adventure area is Cheliax (Pathfinder Setting), more specifically, Westcrown (Council of Thieves AP). In the world almanac I have entries for Cheliax with Westcrown contained within. I went to story almanac to set up entries and it wants me to overwrite existing entries in the world almanac. Wouldn't it be possible to have the world almanac entry be linked into the story almanac without having to rewrite or copy it over?
woobyluv is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
gloranphile

Old March 28th, 2014, 12:11 PM
My work since the Almanacs were introduced is the following:

*Anything that is outside the influence of the immediate adventure is in the World Almanac.
*Anything that is directly involved with the PCs or the adventure goes in the Story Almanac. This includes immediate plotlines, quests, etc., but also includes the part of the world in which the PCs participate. Even though other parts of the world affect them, those are left in the World Almanac.

For your particular issue, I would move the NPCs from World over to Story when they're going to be involved in the next game.
gloranphile is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old March 28th, 2014, 12:19 PM
I'd even be interested in a view that shows both at once.

A "My Realm" view that shows all topics, regardless of which almanac they are in.

That way I can have some topics in each "bucket" for easy session management, but when I want to research and work on later sessions I can see everything at once.
MaxSupernova is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 28th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Important Note: The World Almanac and Story Almanac are the SAME collection of topics that are all interwoven together. All that's really going on is that your topics are being split into two separate groupings for easier navigation. They two almanacs are intended as a CONVENIENCE, but there is no requirement to use them.

Please take a read of the FAQ entry on this subject, as it does a good job of outlining the role of the two almanacs. The FAQ entry is entitled "What’s the point of having both a World Almanac and a Story Almanac?" and will be found on the FAQ page here:
http://www.wolflair.com/realmworks/s...ked-questions/

Once you read this FAQ entry, I'm sure you'll have additional questions that I'll be happy to answer. However, the FAQ entry should help clarify a bunch of things that are probably not obvious about how things work, so it should help put us all on the same page regarding the basics and we can build from there.
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 28th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSupernova View Post
I'd even be interested in a view that shows both at once.

A "My Realm" view that shows all topics, regardless of which almanac they are in.
I'll add this idea to the ever-growing todo list.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 28th, 2014, 01:26 PM
It would be great to see an "all" view that also noted whether the item was currently located in story or world. And to build on that, add a checkbox or let us click on story/world to toggle topics quickly and easily from one interface to the other.

While you are at it, allow us to select items from the all-data-view to export to our own world or to the public. Gray out items that are copyright from a purchase made through RW and allow us to toggle on copyright for things we hand enter that shouldn't be shared or have restrictions we wish to impose that need to go with the content like "not for commercial use".

I see a really nice interface coming eventually that will make 10,000' view management of campaign materials easy.
AEIOU is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 28th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
And to build on that, add a checkbox or let us click on story/world to toggle topics quickly and easily from one interface to the other.
You can currently right-click on a topic in the topic list view on the left and select "Move to Story Almanac" (or vice versa).
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 28th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Yes, but you can't see everything at once and not everything move over. You see one or the other. It's a forest vs trees issue for me.

It becomes a greater issue when we start using containers that hold material in both Story and World. For instance, I created an Entity called Deities. It is the container for all the gods. I then decided to move most of the gods I didn't need to World. The topic Deities now exists in two places; however, it is not a container in World, it's just one of a dozen topics under Entity.

If we could see EVERYTHING in their proper container structures with notation to the right of where it is that we could toggle, it would be much simpler.

I'm only playing around with RotRL right now. I have a feeling I would find it difficult to keep track of story/world in an actual campaign setting with convoluted plotlines, organizations and NPC's. But I'm only a few months into this journey and the tool continues to evolve rapidly, so maybe this is much ado about nothing?
AEIOU is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old March 28th, 2014, 05:26 PM
To see everything, just put them all into one Almanac and don't use the other.

A Topic in one Almanac that is a container for a Topic in the other, such as a Deities group in the World Almanac that is a container for a specific Deity in the Story Almanac, appears in both "tree" views (because the tree could not be built otherwise, I imagine).

I find it helpful to think of them as just filters.. "active" and "inactive"; or "foreground" and "background"... in place of "Story" and "World".
Silveras is offline   #10 Reply With Quote