Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Madmaxneo

Old January 7th, 2016, 11:09 PM
Sorry that is a little vague but he title would have been to long otherwise.
I am adding the creature stats to add the Monsters/Enemies section and I am having an issue in trying to figure out how to add this snippet or what have you.
I would like to add a few things to the Statistics section like Level, Size, BMR (Base Movement Rate), DB (Defensive Bonus), # Encountered, and Outlook to name a few. The problem I am running into is there is no title for each entry I add. Basically all it is is a text entry. If I enter a number like for the BMR and then add a number for the DB how does one tell them apart because after I type something in there is no description to say what the number is for.
Here is another example I would like to add to stats but have to create a section of it's own:
In the game I run they have RR's (Resistance Rolls). There are 3 RR types, Stamina, Will, and Magic. Each one of those has a number that adds to the roll. How would I add all that as either part of the statistics or some other section definition? Basically the section would have the title RR's and have 3 sub snippets (or what have you) of the RR types with a text entry for a number to be entered. I can't figure out how to do this?

EDIT: I get how to add sub sections and what not, but that honestly takes up so much space by the time I am done adding everything. Is there not an easy way to add sections Like Hits and then have a space for text directly next to it instead of below it?

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.
Programming experience: Java and Javascript (Maptools and PDF programming).
Madmaxneo is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old January 7th, 2016, 11:31 PM
For numbers, you could use a Numeric Value snippet (under Advanced Types).

Otherwise, it sounds like you want Text with Titles.

In the meantime, you could manually add a title in front of your text if that works for you.

Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old January 8th, 2016, 01:02 AM
I do one of three things:

Handwritten headings
1.Handwritten-headings.png
This looks good but is tedious as you have to write it each time (and remember to do it).

Tag headings
1.Tag-headings.png
Create a new tag category and make the necessary tags. In your case call your tag category STATS and then have Level, Size, BMR, DB, etc. as tags.
Choose the tag required and write the data in the annotation field.
It works fairly well - at least it serves me fairly well in the calendar department.

Subsections
Using subsections - but your amount of info is too small for a subsection IMHO.

Apart from that, as Parody says, it has been discussed and a feature solving this has been requested.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old January 8th, 2016, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
I do one of three things:

Tag headings
Attachment 4328
Create a new tag category and make the necessary tags. In your case call your tag category STATS and then have Level, Size, BMR, DB, etc. as tags.
Choose the tag required and write the data in the annotation field.
It works fairly well - at least it serves me fairly well in the calendar department.

Subsections
Using subsections - but your amount of info is too small for a subsection IMHO.

Apart from that, as Parody says, it has been discussed and a feature solving this has been requested.

I will go with your option 2 above as that fits what I need for now. I did some as numbers and was able to make some use tags but there are some that neither work for. For example # encountered usually indicates a range like 2 - 20.

I don't understand why they can't just add a text entry to the the behavior dropdown much like they have a Numeric entry.

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.
Madmaxneo is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old January 8th, 2016, 08:44 AM
My general rule of thumb is to not use snippet types as a means of creating formatting when I can do the formatting within the snippets themselves.

I've played with a number of options, but other than tag snippets for attributes that I want to frequently filter on, I find it easier to just have an HTML table with my statblocks. I looks nicer when viewing, allows me to use a familiar format, and is easy to fill in.

One reason some folks might not do this is that there isn't a great built-in clipboard type feature or prepopulated snippet feature in RW.

My solution works better for me than I think even adding such features to RW would be.

I use a text-expander program, which has utility in every application on my computer where I can type text or use keyboard shortcuts. I use PhraseExpress, but there are others (ActiveWords and some free, open source options as well).

It makes data entry in RW sooo much easier. It continues to perplex me why text-expanders are not more widely used. It must be ignorance, because almost everyone I've demonstrated ActiveWords or PhraseExpress to has had an A-HA moment and once you start using one, you'll wonder how you lived without it. The functionality really should be a built-in functionality of modern operating systems.

Not to be a selfish jerk about features, but I would rather RW focus on unique challenges like custom calendars and adding expected functionality that third-party software can't solve, like export and printing, rather than spending time developing features that are readily available in third-party software. Especially when so many of the solutions seem to create a lot of customization and data-entry work with little benefit.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old January 8th, 2016, 09:17 AM
But how hard would it be just to add a text entry to the behavior dropdown? Seems like it would not be to hard.

Madmaxneo is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old January 8th, 2016, 12:05 PM
Don't know how hard it would be. How hard would it be to add the ability to print...turns out it presents a beast of a problem. Maybe this adding the text field would be trivial and they just need to get around to. Maybe there is more too it. Only the developers can shed light on this.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old January 8th, 2016, 12:28 PM
In the linked suggestion thread there's a whole discussion on labeling text snippets, including posts from the developers.

Parody is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old January 8th, 2016, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
My general rule of thumb is to not use snippet types as a means of creating formatting when I can do the formatting within the snippets themselves.

I've played with a number of options, but other than tag snippets for attributes that I want to frequently filter on, I find it easier to just have an HTML table with my statblocks. I looks nicer when viewing, allows me to use a familiar format, and is easy to fill in.
I agree - partly. No doubts it looks better and is easy to work with.

However, if you want to be able to reveal parts of the information (they learn she has green eyes, but not her height or body build, for instance), it becomes somewhat troublesome.

I haven't decided yet which approach I will use in which cases :-)

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old January 8th, 2016, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
In the linked suggestion thread there's a whole discussion on labeling text snippets, including posts from the developers.
I have and posted in there.

Madmaxneo is offline   #10 Reply With Quote