Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Madmaxneo

Old January 9th, 2016, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
My general rule of thumb is to not use snippet types as a means of creating formatting when I can do the formatting within the snippets themselves.

I've played with a number of options, but other than tag snippets for attributes that I want to frequently filter on, I find it easier to just have an HTML table with my statblocks. I looks nicer when viewing, allows me to use a familiar format, and is easy to fill in.
How do you create HTML tables?

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.
Programming experience: Java and Javascript (Maptools and PDF programming).
Madmaxneo is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old January 10th, 2016, 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmaxneo View Post
How do you create HTML tables?
In realmworks, in the formatting tab, there is a table-creation button and, when editing a table, you'll see options for adding/deleting/formatting rows and columns.

Another option is to create in something like Google Docs and copy paste it in to RealmWork.

I think what most people do is have a topic/article that contains the formatted statblocks and other heavily formated snippet templates and they will have that open in one tab so they can copy from it and past into the tabs they are creating. Others may have such preformatted tables in a Google Document, an MS Word Document, Evernote or some other tool that they can copy from and paste into RW. Many find this to be a bit inconvenient, which is why some have called for some kind of text-snippet or permanent multi-item clipboard functionality.

I use a separate program call PhraseExpress. It is a text-expander program that allows me to use a hotkey or enter a short word and have whatever text I want interested in whatever program that accepts text that I'm working in. PhraseExpress allows you to created formatted text snippets. So, when I want a statblock in RW, I simply type "statblock" and it is replaced with a formatted table.

PhraseExpress offers a Freeware version that is free for personal use.

AutoHotKey is a free, open source program that can do text expansion and universal macros.

ActiveWords is what I used before PhraseExpress.

There are others. Mac OS Lion has text-expansion capabilities built into the operation sessions (look for titled text under preferences) but I don't know if it supports formatted text. For more features, Mac users can check out aText which support formatted text and only costs $5. TextExpander for Mac is popular, but at $35 it is much more expensive than aText and isn't worth the cost if your needs are basic.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 10th, 2016, 07:58 AM
I'm not as smart as MNBlockHead so I open an entry with the kind of table I've already created, copy/paste and change the content (usually a copy/paste for each cell). Most tables for me are stat blocks for NPC's, mobs, traps, diseases, etc or they are random encounters so I can almost open any similar topic of mine and grab one that will provide the correct formatting.

I prefer large cells with multiple lines over a for STR and a cell for INT and .... Call me lazy but the extra work wouldn't give me any extra information.
AEIOU is offline   #13 Reply With Quote