Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Barahoote

Old October 29th, 2017, 09:48 AM
I have introduced a mechanic in my game for socketing magic into an item.
I can get into the rules of it in detail if people are interested, but the short of it is standard magic items do not exist in this low magic item campaign. The craft item, weapon, rod, staff and the like feats do not exist. Craft scroll, potion, construct and wand do. As well as one called craft socket.

Socket stones are a bit like materia in that they add abilities to the item the character can then use. Not schools of magic or anything, but they would add things like flaming, bashing or distance as a Type I Level 1; speed, invulnerability or wild as a Type I Level 3.

Craft Socket allows you to modify weapons and armor to hold socket stones as well as to craft the socket stones themselves. Basically for a simple example take a regular steel longsword. As a medium weapon it can have up to two sockets. Character takes his sword to a Socket Smith and pays him gold to have a single socket added. What i thought of is in my .user file adding a new "Item Power" based on the tier he paid for that adds a container element to the sword. I would then have the "socket stones" as ioun stone type items that can only be added to the sockets that were added.

Is what I am trying to do even remotely possible?
Is there advice anyone has on the process?
Barahoote is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
TheIronGolem

Old October 29th, 2017, 11:31 AM
From what you're describing, it sounds like you could accomplish this by making new item powers to hold the effects of your "socket stones". You could even just use existing powers in cases where a stone's provided power is mechanically the same as its traditional equivalent (things like Keen or Flaming, for example).

If you want HL to track the number of slots a given item has, you could also make an item power called "Slotted", with a flat GP cost instead of an enhancement-equivalent cost, and use the "Allow user text" option to give the user a place to note the number of slots (or you could create multiple "slotted" powers, with different numbers of slots noted in the name).

If you're looking to do stuff like track what power goes in what slot for what weapon...well, that's possible, but it would be a LOT of work, much of which takes place pretty deep in the weeds. Using the existing item powers system would get you 90% of the functionality you want, for 5% of the effort.
TheIronGolem is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Barahoote

Old November 4th, 2017, 05:58 PM
Well that sounds a bit like what i did.
I created a item power that are currently Armor Socket Level 1 and Armor Socket Level 1.
What this does is allow them to socket powers into the item that have a +1 bonus cost.

I will make more for up to the +3 bonuses, and i guess to keep it simple I can just require one of these for each ability they want to add to the item. But the issue there is the cost that was suppose to be associated with the sockets and the stones. Is there a way to track that? or would i need to create new powers and costs for each of them. Like a new power called "Flaming Stone" and "Speed Stone" etc etc etc.

Is there a way to track the number of sockets, or is it just better to do that visually in the por file?

Is there a way to make an item power that grants feats?
Barahoote is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 5th, 2017, 03:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barahoote View Post
Is there a way to track the number of sockets, or is it just better to do that visually in the por file?
If you are using the "contains" mechanism to hold the stones installed in an item, then maybe provide a Warning if the number of contained items exceeds the allowed number of items.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #4 Reply With Quote