Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works in Action

Notices

BigSkyRPG

Old January 17th, 2017, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
You can specifically export the game system settings so it should work. What system are you using?
Primarily D&D5e and then thinking of imputing Shadows of Esteren as well.
BigSkyRPG is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old January 17th, 2017, 03:32 PM
Ok my suggestion would be to take a look at the way they have setup the 5e game system currently and even consider waiting. They have announced that large changes are coming to the 5e game system in the next 1-2 weeks. This could change the answer for you.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
BigSkyRPG

Old January 17th, 2017, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Ok my suggestion would be to take a look at the way they have setup the 5e game system currently and even consider waiting. They have announced that large changes are coming to the 5e game system in the next 1-2 weeks. This could change the answer for you.
Ok thanks bro. I was just reading that huge post from Rob in the other forum where he was discussing this. I think I will resist the urge and wait a little bit.
BigSkyRPG is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old January 17th, 2017, 10:59 PM
I just put all my monsters in alpha order under dangers. I use tags to sort by type, challenge rating, environment, and other attributes that I find important.

Same with spells.

I find that I do a lot more categorization by foldering in with topics than I do with articles. I just browse, search, and reference them differently.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
BigSkyRPG

Old January 18th, 2017, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
I just put all my monsters in alpha order under dangers. I use tags to sort by type, challenge rating, environment, and other attributes that I find important.

Same with spells.

I find that I do a lot more categorization by foldering in with topics than I do with articles. I just browse, search, and reference them differently.
Did you structure them under a main topic like A,B,C,D,E, etc.. or did you name them so they all are ordered alphabetically in one long list?
BigSkyRPG is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old January 18th, 2017, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyRPG View Post
Did you structure them under a main topic like A,B,C,D,E, etc.. or did you name them so they all are ordered alphabetically in one long list?
One long list. I do use aliases so for some the same monster may appear more than once in the list. Like Eye of Grummsh will also appear as Orc - Eye of Grummsh.

If I start importing the entire MM, Volo's Guide, Kobold Press's Tome of Beasts, etc. (assuming I can buy from the content market), I may want to create contains: Beasts A, Beasts B, Beasts C... etc. Just so I don't have to scrool so much. Then again, that is what search is for. :-)

MNBlockHead is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
mazzy

Old January 18th, 2017, 11:30 AM
The long lists type of layout is one thing that gets my OCD twitch going, lol. My preference is having everything organized within containers and if need be, sub-containers. I organize that way more for aesthetics, I like seeing my topics/articles in a compact format.

There's really no "right" way of organizing your information, I've had to change my strategy several times and I'm sure I'll end up changing it many more times until I find what works for me. Though, I am super grateful to all those who shared their videos with us, as they gave me an insight into how others do things and good starting points. If not for those videos, I'd probably still have an empty realm
mazzy is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 18th, 2017, 01:00 PM
For something like an orc specific prestige class I either wouldn't have an entry at all, too much work, or if I intended to have the PC's encounter a lot of orcs I'd have it be contained by the orc topic.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old January 18th, 2017, 01:05 PM
You know... If I was to remove all the content... I'm pretty sure we could get away with sharing the articles with just the names. This would save people a fair bit of work.

As far as monsters go I have the following entered:

MM, Volo's, Fifth Edition Foes and Tome of Beasts

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old January 18th, 2017, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzy View Post
The long lists type of layout is one thing that gets my OCD twitch going, lol. My preference is having everything organized within containers and if need be, sub-containers. I organize that way more for aesthetics, I like seeing my topics/articles in a compact format.
Ah, if you really want to scratch that OCD itch, use tags. :-)

With something like monsters, once you have hundred of them, no amount of foldering is going to be satisfactory. You'll use search to pull them up by name or will want to filter by CR, type, environment, etc.

MNBlockHead is offline   #20 Reply With Quote