Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Goreshade

Old August 22nd, 2016, 03:38 PM
Intro
I am going thru the authoring kit Savage Worlds examples again after abandoning it a long time ago due to school and life in general. Frustration with the authoring example did play a hand back then but it wasn't the deciding factor, more like the icing on the cake. I am back to work on now it with some more programming knowledge and skills this time around, however I have already come across a few unclear points early on in the walkthru.

Question
Is there a compiled list of problems that trip newcomers up like a FAQ here on the forums or common questions that keep arising with the walkthru?
Goreshade is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old August 22nd, 2016, 03:59 PM
Nope, just ask your questions, there are a few that are always happy to answer! Unfortunately the wiki is extremely out of date and there isn't a lot of chance to update it.
AndrewD2 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Goreshade

Old August 22nd, 2016, 04:54 PM
Thank you for answering.

I am currently working on the following page http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....raits_(Savage) but the tutorial is somewhat unclear as to where you edit (or paste) the script samples provided. EDIT- I worked thru some of it by having a copy of the source file onhand to locate the proper place to put it.

Further down it says...
Quote:
Once everything is in place, reload the data files and test everything out. The sample attribute should display as "d4" on the Basics tab. If you adjust it up and down, it should properly display the next die type, capping at "d12" at the upper end and "d4" at the lower end.
...but it doesn't in the main interface, it does display in the floating info windows under Develop Tab>Floating Info Windows>Show Selection Fields.

Last edited by Goreshade; August 22nd, 2016 at 05:02 PM.
Goreshade is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 22nd, 2016, 06:13 PM
Have you found where the traits component is defined?

If not, look through the file list - see any files that are related to traits?

Just to double-check, in the "Initial Changes" part of that walkthrough, you followed the "Create the Game System" instructions? Or are you trying to edit the savage worlds source (which is not in a folder that Hero Lab will read as a game system).
Mathias is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old August 22nd, 2016, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goreshade View Post
Intro
I am going thru the authoring kit Savage Worlds examples again after abandoning it a long time ago due to school and life in general. Frustration with the authoring example did play a hand back then but it wasn't the deciding factor, more like the icing on the cake. I am back to work on now it with some more programming knowledge and skills this time around, however I have already come across a few unclear points early on in the walkthru.

Question
Is there a compiled list of problems that trip newcomers up like a FAQ here on the forums or common questions that keep arising with the walkthru?
There is this thread:
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=33740
EightBitz is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Goreshade

Old August 23rd, 2016, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Have you found where the traits component is defined?

If not, look through the file list - see any files that are related to traits?

Just to double-check, in the "Initial Changes" part of that walkthrough, you followed the "Create the Game System" instructions? Or are you trying to edit the savage worlds source (which is not in a folder that Hero Lab will read as a game system).
Yes. I am not going thru the tutorial by itself, I have the authoring kit reference wiki in another browser tab so I can read the instructional entries for each element and attribute in the XML files. For example, if I am working on a component in the structural files I use another browsing tab to go to http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....Element_(Data) and use the links to focus on whatever I am focused on at the time, such as fields or eval elements. At the same time in my editor I have the files I am working on in the tutorial side-by-side with the source files for savage system(in read only mode so there are no accidental editing) so I can see where the changes for the skeleton files go. It is slower going, but provides a much more solid understanding. Anything I see that looks interesting I can go right back to the browser and "dive in" to whatever it is I am looking into, for instance http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....Element_(Data) which links from the Component page.

As to the game system, yes. Created the whole thing, followed all steps. I also named the directory in a way to not confuse it with the normal savage folder HL uses.
Goreshade is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Goreshade

Old August 23rd, 2016, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
Thanks. That looks to be useful.
Goreshade is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Goreshade

Old August 26th, 2016, 02:01 AM
Still not finding where this isn't working. Been trying to find out what is going wrong but no luck. Its got to be something incredibly simple that I am just not seeing. The problem is that the trait numbers between the incrementer arrows still display as "2-6" instead of the die type "d4 thru d12".

Followed every letter in the tutorial page here up to "Bonuses and Penalties" section. The tutorial says it should display as the die type but it doesn't. It DOES display in both fields correctly when you open the Floating Info Windows>Show Selection Fields
trtFinal = "2" and so on
trtDisplay = "d4" and so on
Really looking forward to moving past this part...

Last edited by Goreshade; August 26th, 2016 at 02:21 AM.
Goreshade is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old August 26th, 2016, 02:23 AM
I'm not an expert on this, and maybe you've already worked through what I'm going to say, but if I recall correctly, the d4, d6, etc are bmp files. Somewhere, there should be a portal type defined that specifies using these bmp files. Then in the basics tab, you define that as the portal type for the attribute score.
EightBitz is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Goreshade

Old August 26th, 2016, 02:55 AM
Thanks for the fast reply. I'm not even at the bmp stage of it, that part comes a bit later in the tutorial. This is the page I am working/following.
http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....raits_(Savage)

The block of code right before the Bonuses and Penalties section is where the problem is. At this point in the tutorial it should just be displaying the text form.
Goreshade is offline   #10 Reply With Quote