Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Sevisin

Old March 23rd, 2016, 04:25 PM
Yep, Kenders. Oh, the joy and headaches these lovable hell spawns can bring to a campaign. Though they're in the dragonlance settings, the kender weapons are not in the weapons section. I was going to work on making them, but realized that there is a thing where the system doesn't separate ranged and melee attacks for hit and damage.

For example, a hoopak (can be known as a staff-sling) deals 1d6+1/1d6+1 melee damage, the sling deals 1d4 damage. A level 1 rogue kender (0 BAB) with a 10 str (+0) but an 18 dex (+4) should have a +1 to hit (+0 BAB, +0 from str, +1 from size), 1d6+1/1d6+1 damage in melee (since it's a double weapon), +5 hit (+0 BAB, +4 dex, +1 size), 1d4 damage.

Any thoughts? Not really urgent. Just something I noticed.

-S
Sevisin is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 23rd, 2016, 06:20 PM
If I add a Spear a melee/thrown weapon I clearly see a Melee attack and a Ranged attack on the "Weapons" tab. The summary tab has no room so you will only see melee. The printed character sheet clearly shows both values....

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old March 24th, 2016, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevisin View Post
For example, a hoopak (can be known as a staff-sling) deals 1d6+1/1d6+1 melee damage, the sling deals 1d4 damage. A level 1 rogue kender (0 BAB) with a 10 str (+0) but an 18 dex (+4) should have a +1 to hit (+0 BAB, +0 from str, +1 from size), 1d6+1/1d6+1 damage in melee (since it's a double weapon), +5 hit (+0 BAB, +4 dex, +1 size), 1d4 damage.
First, I do not see the hoopak or a staff-sling in the community set, so I cannot confirm whether it was created properly.

Second, in order to see the damage for a double weapon as two pieces, you have to wield it as a double weapon. For example, if I have the Axe, Orc Double weapon unwielded, it shows "1d6" for damage. If I select "Dbl" then it shows "1d6/1d6".

Otherwise, I think everything is working as intended. I do think it would be nice though, if you have a weapon that can be used as either melee or ranged that you could select something that would show you the alternate damage.
Sendric is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old March 24th, 2016, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
I do think it would be nice though, if you have a weapon that can be used as either melee or ranged that you could select something that would show you the alternate damage.
If the weapon does totally different damage as a ranged weapon vs melee it would be best to setup as two separate weapons. And set the IsWeapon.? tag (to be the melee weapon) on the ranged weapon. Then set the Helper.NoSelect on the ranged weapon. The gamer will have to add both ranged/melee weapons to a character (so put a note) but at least feats and stuff will only need to select the Melee weapon and both weapons will get the bonus.

That would be the best way to handle different "damage" for melee/range. I miss-read earlier and thought it was about attack.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old March 25th, 2016, 06:29 PM
Biggest thing my kender character ever borrowed was a barge full of cut masonry meant to construct a castle my fellow PCs were building. In my defense, I hadn't met them yet, and the game died not too long after that. I shudder to think how rocky that would have made our eventual team-up!
Aaron is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
kwiqsilver

Old October 6th, 2016, 11:04 PM
@ShadowChemosh
Are you talking about creating a custom item in the game editor?

I have a flying blade swashbuckler with the same problem: Hero Lab doesn't show the ranged damage for my dagger...and that's my primary attack.

I'm beginning to get annoyed with all the things I have to do to work around the many flaws of Hero Lab.
kwiqsilver is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Illyahr

Old October 6th, 2016, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiqsilver View Post
@ShadowChemosh

I have a flying blade swashbuckler with the same problem: Hero Lab doesn't show the ranged damage for my dagger...and that's my primary attack.

I'm beginning to get annoyed with all the things I have to do to work around the many flaws of Hero Lab.
Daggers do the same damage whether they are used as melee weapons or thrown weapons. 1d4 + Strength modifier.
Illyahr is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old October 7th, 2016, 09:13 AM
Quote:
@ShadowChemosh

Yep. d20 does not have a break out that displays ranged vs melee values if they are different.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
kwiqsilver

Old October 7th, 2016, 04:19 PM
@ShadowChemosh
Thanks for the workaround idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illyahr View Post
Daggers do the same damage whether they are used as melee weapons or thrown weapons. 1d4 + Strength modifier.
Wrong on every part.

My thrown daggers do 1d3 + Dex Bonus + Swashbuckler Weapon Training Bonus + Swashbuckler Precise Strike Bonus + Point Blank Shot Bonus + Deadly Aim Bonus.

If they did the same damage in melee, why would I have asked?
kwiqsilver is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Illyahr

Old October 7th, 2016, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Wrong on every part.

My thrown daggers do 1d3 + Dex Bonus + Swashbuckler Weapon Training Bonus + Swashbuckler Precise Strike Bonus + Point Blank Shot Bonus + Deadly Aim Bonus.

If they did the same damage in melee, why would I have asked?
Wait, you came to the 3.5 thread to complain about Pathfinder stuff that you ported in to 3.5? Point Blank Shot is situational. Even Power Attack, which Deadly Aim is based off of, doesn't show the damage since you decide the damage each time you use it. The rest of it isn't from 3.5 so what did you expect?

Don't blame Hero Lab for things you are doing yourself. The devs do their best whenever something new comes up.
Illyahr is offline   #10 Reply With Quote