Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Anubis-Scales

Old April 30th, 2014, 07:37 AM
I know this program is not available for the mac, yet. You should know that I'll be snapping this up probably twenty seconds after Realm Works becomes available for the Mac. so keep at it.

I'm pretty stoked for this.
Anubis-Scales is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old April 30th, 2014, 09:28 AM
many people will, but in the meantime, you could always dual boot, or run vmware of parallels on a windows 7 (this is what i do).
mirtos is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
huntsfromshadow

Old April 30th, 2014, 01:55 PM
I'd also suggest VirtualBox.

I have had great luck with it.
huntsfromshadow is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
EberronKnight

Old April 30th, 2014, 05:15 PM
I use Parallels for my Mac, never had a problem. Of course, I would love a straight Realmworks software for my Mac.

EK
EberronKnight is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old April 30th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Same here, but parallels in coherence mode works fine.
mirtos is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old September 6th, 2019, 09:17 AM
Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I am thinking of buying a Mac Air to replace my Dell XPS.

For anyone who has run RW on a Mac using parallels, what has been your experience? RW is the one fairly resource-intensive, windows-only program that I would run on it.

Does running RW in Parallels cause any issues? Any features not work correct? E.g., will player's view window still open in a new window? Will RW player view still work with multiple screens? Do you notice performance issues compared to running in windows if you have experience with both?

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old September 9th, 2019, 05:31 AM
I would say the main problem will be the requirements of the Windows OS towards your virtual hardware and virtualization application. The base Mac Air, unless upgraded with more RAM and bigger SSD for better performance of the storage subsystem, might not be the best option if you will run Windows 10 guest.

RW... is not really putting any load on the OS in terms of CPU and Memory according to my observations and usage. But again I never used humongous maps that reach the limits put in place by the developers.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old September 10th, 2019, 01:18 PM
Thanks Valyar. I'm thinking of getting away from ultralights and going back to getting a thinkpad. The Mac Books don't seem to be worth their price for me.

Selecting a laptop is always tough for me because I travel a lot, but also am a heavy user and most laptops I've purchased don't make it more than and two or three years. I've been very impressed with every apple product I've bought however, they just seem to last and be useable for so much longer. Also, I have never had power-management issues with Macs and at high DPI, they do a much better job when connected to non HDPI screens.

I'm leaning towards a Lenovo Thinkpad T480 to replace my Dell XPS 13. I'm just a little shy because my last Thinkpad's keys didn't last. Every since Lenovo switched from the excellent Thinkpad keyboards to the new chicklet style keys they've been unimpressive. Same with my Dell XPS, the keyboard was never great and is having problems after a few years.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 10th, 2019, 06:05 PM
I've had several XPS 13's and while the keyboard isn't the best the touchpad is above average and the build quality is very good. For thin and lights I think you can't really do much better. If you are willing to tote around a "normal" laptop you can find many with better features but they get expensive very quickly.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Lj Stephens
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 16th, 2019, 01:11 PM
I prefer my laptop, personally, because I prefer a full-sized keyboard for note-taking. Do you all find it easy enough to type on a tablet?
Lj Stephens is offline   #10 Reply With Quote