Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds

Notices

flyingcircus

Old February 11th, 2010, 04:42 AM
I wish they would include all the Archetypes so I don't have to sit there and build them. BTW all the new feats & powers from Mecha & Manga and Warriors & Warlocks are not in the system yet, when will they be included, if its there were are the Martial arts powers "Chi Sense, Devestating Blast, Chi Disrupt, etc?"

This is very frustrating as these books have been out for awhile now.
flyingcircus is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 11th, 2010, 12:11 PM
The archetypes and new feats have been written up and submitted. My understanding from speaking with Colen is that the CoC release delayed things. Furthermore, the feats are kind of oddly situated in that Pet and Mecha feats should only applies to Pets and Mechas. Also, the Pet feats are, to not put it too bluntly, messed up. They took two feat, Minions and Sidekicks, and turned them into four feats which require various levels of "this feat must have ranks bought up to X or no effect occurs". Personally, I have no problem with posting the file to the boards, but since it technically contains proprietary information (from Ultimate Power), I don't know if it's kosher to do so or if it might get Wolf Lair into trouble.
Duggan is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
dartnet

Old February 14th, 2010, 08:23 PM
I know that Colen and a few of the others are working on this. Just remember that if you count all of Lone Wolf and the volunteers like my self there are still only less than a dozen folks working of all of the system that this software supports.
Duggan if you want to help writing up feats you can send in the stuff to Colen or post on the board for him to add. That's how I do it.
dartnet is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old February 15th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dartnet View Post
Duggan if you want to help writing up feats you can send in the stuff to Colen or post on the board for him to add. That's how I do it.
^_^ I have. That's what I posted above. They are written up and submitted. But the Pet feats and Mecha feats (and, to a lesser degree, the Martial Arts feats) are very particular to certain genres, meaning that they may have to get into some of the more funky settings to allow people to build their characters without one or the other, and the Pet and Mecha feats start blurring the lines in that there are drawbacks that can only apply to the PC, drawbacks that can only apply to the Mecha/Pets, and some both. Lastly, the Pet feats are very oddly set up. Rather than using the existing Minion

Och... and I need to send an update to what I sent before because I realized a number of minor errors when working on a character last night. Minor things like some of the power feats not being set to Unique such that they can be added multiple times, Climbing Kick not drawing extras and feats from Strike (primarily Mighty), and two of the Chi Sense power options still being set to Super Senses instead of Chi Senses. I may have the weapons written up in the same update, although they may be more hindrance than help given most are very minor tweaks to existing weapons that are given exotic names.
Duggan is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Drascin

Old February 16th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
^_^ I have. That's what I posted above. They are written up and submitted. But the Pet feats and Mecha feats (and, to a lesser degree, the Martial Arts feats) are very particular to certain genres, meaning that they may have to get into some of the more funky settings to allow people to build their characters without one or the other, and the Pet and Mecha feats start blurring the lines in that there are drawbacks that can only apply to the PC, drawbacks that can only apply to the Mecha/Pets, and some both. Lastly, the Pet feats are very oddly set up. Rather than using the existing Minion
Yeah, I actually just registered into the forum to ask about the Pet stuff (since I bought HeroLab+supplements only yesterday) but I have to say I understand what you mean. Pet feats are probably going to be quite a headache to implement.

I'd say we'd really have to add another tab, much like for Mecha, for the pets and the buying of Menagerie/Loyalty/Bad Apple/other weird pet feats for it. Pet Interpose and such other Trainer feats though, could be perfectly normal feats.

Or model Pet by allowing options, making it into basically an almost-power. You buy Pet, which creates a minion entry in the dashboard, and can add options to it, ala Weather Control or Immunity. Said options would be things like Improved Loyalty and stuff... yeah, I think this could work, but I don't know how hard it'd be to implement into the actual program. As said, I'm still pretty new with it - just trying to help.
Drascin is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
dartnet

Old February 16th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
Yeah, I actually just registered into the forum to ask about the Pet stuff (since I bought HeroLab+supplements only yesterday) but I have to say I understand what you mean. Pet feats are probably going to be quite a headache to implement.

I'd say we'd really have to add another tab, much like for Mecha, for the pets and the buying of Menagerie/Loyalty/Bad Apple/other weird pet feats for it. Pet Interpose and such other Trainer feats though, could be perfectly normal feats.

Or model Pet by allowing options, making it into basically an almost-power. You buy Pet, which creates a minion entry in the dashboard, and can add options to it, ala Weather Control or Immunity. Said options would be things like Improved Loyalty and stuff... yeah, I think this could work, but I don't know how hard it'd be to implement into the actual program. As said, I'm still pretty new with it - just trying to help.
That is a very good idea. I think that an extra tab like how they do mecha is the way to go.
dartnet is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old February 16th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Eh, I still feel like most of the Pet confusion could be alleviated by taking the various feats that require "buy up to X ranks where X is your rank in Pets" and just set up Pets to be like Minions or Sidekicks. But yeah, then we get into the various Pet-specific items that should only be buyable if you have Pets (fairly easily to check) or only apply to Pets like the Drawbacks. I don't think it will be too difficult for Colen to put together, but it will take some time.

*bites lip* If I haven't heard back by tomorrow, I'll just post the package as is. Since parts of it depend on UP, people without the additional dataset package shouldn't be able to use it.
Duggan is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
dartnet

Old February 16th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Do it. I would love to look at it.
dartnet is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 17th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Ah, therein lies the problem that templates are not really very buildable in the editor. Or rather, you can build them, but you can't apply them. Colen has stated in one of his earlier posts (can't remember exactly where) that this is indeed something that they are working on.

As a side note, Colen, were I to write up the templates as characters in a portfolio, would that help you at all once this does become implementable? Or will the formats be different enough as to make this effort futile?
Writing them up as characters wouldn't help at all, unfortunately.

One of the two core template problems is that for a template for an elf, for example, I'd want to say "The elf gets Pointy Ears (i.e. the Feature power at 1 rank)". However, if the user wants to customize the template more, they might want to delete that power (but not the rest of the template). Or, they might want to delete the whole template, and get rid of the Pointy Ears automatically.

Right now, Hero Lab can either let you delete things, or not delete them. It can't maintain a kind of "weak association" where you can delete it, but it's also connected to the "parent" template, allowing everything that got chained in to be deleted all at once.
Colen is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 17th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Eh, I still feel like most of the Pet confusion could be alleviated by taking the various feats that require "buy up to X ranks where X is your rank in Pets" and just set up Pets to be like Minions or Sidekicks. But yeah, then we get into the various Pet-specific items that should only be buyable if you have Pets (fairly easily to check) or only apply to Pets like the Drawbacks. I don't think it will be too difficult for Colen to put together, but it will take some time.

*bites lip* If I haven't heard back by tomorrow, I'll just post the package as is. Since parts of it depend on UP, people without the additional dataset package shouldn't be able to use it.
Sorry about the delay, guys. I have a pile of stuff in my inbox from Duggan and others that I need to attend to, plus getting Call of Cthulhu ready for launch, the associated stuff we want to get included in Hero Lab 3.6 (currently over 50 enhancements and bug fixes), plus working on additional data packages for other game systems, and then other updates for Mutants & Masterminds too. And that's just one of our products!

Duggan, since you entered the content yourself, if you wanted to post it somewhere for people to download that's fine. Just bear in mind that if you download it, you might need to delete it once I incorporate it into the core data files.
Colen is offline   #20 Reply With Quote