Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

Aabh

Old August 26th, 2020, 06:26 AM
I'm having a devil of a time with this. The one thing I hate more than anything is doing all the damn math in RPGs (I'm also one of those folks that always tends to forget to add the +2 to BAB because of my strange, backwater feat... or whatever). That's all. I need to roll up a character for my Starfinder campaign (I was the GM and now I'm letting someone else GM so I need to make one of my NPCs a real character). I'm totally willing to pay $5 or $10 to have some program automatically populate all of the little ins and outs that are inherent with Pathfinder/Starfinder.

I got the Demo account and it wouldn't let me enter my characters' XP until I upgraded. Since she needs to be starting at 8th level to match the other guys, this is important and that's totally understandable. So I purchased the "Apprentice license" (I assumed that this should be fine since I just need to have one character rolled up, I'm not doing a whole campaign here just yet)...

But it still says I need to upgrade in order to enter XP...

Okay, maybe it's because I need to prove that I own all of the books. Cool. Totally understandable. So I link my Paizo account (I have both a physical and digital copy of the Core and I have digital copies of most of the other books as well). I link the accounts...

No dice.

What am I doing wrong here? Anyone have any ideas?
Aabh is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
WatersLethe

Old August 26th, 2020, 09:44 AM
You need to buy a full license of Herolab, and all the add-ons associated with the books you want to be using.

For just the Core Rulebook, you're looking at something like $30 (I can't recall exactly) the additional add-ons are like $10-15 each.

If your GM has a Patron account, you can join their campaign with an apprentice account and use their books.
WatersLethe is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
dacoobob

Old August 26th, 2020, 12:19 PM
an "Apprentice" account requires you to be a part of someone else's HeroLab Campaign in order to advance beyond 1st Level (and that person has to have a "Patron" account).

it sounds like what you need is "Standard" account instead. that will let you make characters of any level, without relying on anyone else's account. if you upgrade from Apprentice to Standard it should apply the money you already paid toward the price of the Standard acct.

linking your Paizo account to your HLO account doesn't actually do anything yet; that is a placeholder for future functionality that they haven't implemented yet. why it's even an option when it does nothing is beyond me, but that's the situation for whatever reason.

also be warned, your base Standard account will only include content from the Starfinder Core Rulebook-- if you want to use feats/equipment/whatever from other Starfinder books you will need to pay to add those on to your HeroLab Online account. book content is a one-time fee per book, not a subscription like the base Standard account. it doesn't matter whether you own the "real" books from Paizo or not, adding them to your HLO account is a separate transaction.
dacoobob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Ryan F
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 27th, 2020, 10:55 AM
Slight correction to what dacoobob said,

The Paizo Account Linkage function is NOT there for future functionaltiy for Hero Lab Online in any way, shape, or form.

It exists to support the Realm Works Content Marketplace products because many of those options require the User own the PDF on the Paizo store before they can purchase that Content Market offering.

Now, this is possibly subject to change down the road but nobody should be holding their breath for free Add-ons for Hero Lab Online based on what they've purchased from Paizo directly.
Ryan F is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
dacoobob

Old August 27th, 2020, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan F View Post
The Paizo Account Linkage function is NOT there for future functionaltiy for Hero Lab Online in any way, shape, or form.

It exists to support the Realm Works Content Marketplace products because many of those options require the User own the PDF on the Paizo store before they can purchase that Content Market offering.
Oh, ok. But if the "Link Paizo Account" feature does nothing for HLO users and never will, why on earth does it even appear as an option in the HLO account management page? I don't have a RW account and never have, yet the site still prompts me to link my Paizo account. Seems needlessly confusing to me.
dacoobob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old August 27th, 2020, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoobob View Post
Oh, ok. But if the "Link Paizo Account" feature does nothing for HLO users and never will, why on earth does it even appear as an option in the HLO account management page? I don't have a RW account and never have, yet the site still prompts me to link my Paizo account. Seems needlessly confusing to me.
I see the "link Paizo account" on the Lone wolf account screen, there isn't a "HLO" account screen to the best of my knowledge.
Toblakai is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Ryan F
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 27th, 2020, 04:25 PM
That's because that isn't just a Hero Lab Online Account Management system or webpage, both Realm Works and Hero Lab Online use the same modern Username Account Administration method, unlike the much older License Admin system which Army Builder and Hero Lab Classic use. Both of those products can and are best handled when associated with the same Account.

Also, the webpage where you proceed with that Linkage tells the user exactly what it is for and why in a brightly colored header that takes up about half of the webpage.

That being said, it does occur often enough that people get confused by it despite the description of the Linkage function before proceeding, most likely because lots of people are conditioned to skip over reading ToS, Privacy Policy, and other related legalize text but there is honestly not much we can really do about that.
Ryan F is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
dacoobob

Old August 28th, 2020, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan F View Post
but there is honestly not much we can really do about that.
i'm no web developer but couldn't you hide or gray out the Link button for those who don't have RW accounts? i'm guessing the vast majority of HLO users don't use RW.

heck, just adding the text "(Realm Works users only)" to the "Link Paizo Account" button would do the trick.

Last edited by dacoobob; August 28th, 2020 at 09:13 AM.
dacoobob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote