Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

AkosPrime

Old November 15th, 2016, 01:14 PM
So, I'm building a custom Faction for a home-game PF campaign. I'm using a Faction rather than a Mechanic or Adjustment because there will be different advantages depending on which island someone comes from, ergo Faction. Since islanders can be of various races, I felt a Faction was the best method for doing this.

I was able to find what I was looking for for some things, but I cannot find an example of the following type of mechanic:

At every character level, a character gets a bonus skill point that must be assigned to a Profession skill.

Can someone point me in the direction of such an example?

I've checked out these threads but haven't found anything that works for me, so I HAVE checked the forums before asking this question:
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=49502
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=44679
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=38747

Thanks in advance!
AkosPrime is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 15th, 2016, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkosPrime View Post
At every character level, a character gets a bonus skill point that must be assigned to a Profession skill.
I can't think of any way to do this. You can easily give an extra skill point to characters. But no way to Track that "THIS" skill point was used in a Profession skill. For now you will need to either trust players or manually verify they are increasing a profession skill each level.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 15th, 2016, 01:50 PM
Ok one idea would be to build an ability bootstrapped to a mechanic that does a validation test. That test would be to total all the rank in "Profession" only skills and see that the ranks are equal to or greater than the character level. If this test is not true then put out a validation error that says something like "not enough ranks in profession skills." to remind the player that they used a rank for a non-Profession skill.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
AkosPrime

Old November 16th, 2016, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
I can't think of any way to do this. You can easily give an extra skill point to characters. But no way to Track that "THIS" skill point was used in a Profession skill. For now you will need to either trust players or manually verify they are increasing a profession skill each level.
I'm okay with trusting the players, I can always do an audit of the sheets manually if necessary.

Can you point me in the direction of an example of this that would stack with favored class skill point? I tried using that mechanic first, but found that if that is chosen when advancing only one additional skill point is given, not two. I tried emulating the mechanic in the 'Finding Haleen' trait, but whatever I'm doing is not allowing the skill points to 'stack', I'm only getting one bonus point not two for example when a character has that trait and also has the Faction.

Last edited by AkosPrime; November 16th, 2016 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Spelling error
AkosPrime is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
CorzatTheGray

Old November 16th, 2016, 06:03 AM
Try taking a look at the human skill bonus, maybe?

Seeing as they get an extra skill point per level already seems as though that would be a good place to start in trying to find a script to do this.

Currently Playing: Pathfinder - Skull & Shackles AP
Current Character: Legendary Gunslinger 11
Currently DMing: D&D 5E - AAW Games A-Series
CorzatTheGray is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Minous

Old November 16th, 2016, 06:38 AM
You could also create a drop down option at each level listing the professions, and use that to assign the point. (See rogues edge ability)
Minous is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old November 16th, 2016, 08:01 AM
There are a couple fighter archetypes which do this, if I recall correctly. They use a validation error to check that the minimum number of skill points have been spent in the target skills and complain if there aren't enough.
Aaron is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 16th, 2016, 08:04 AM
The Lore Warden archetype is an example of what Aaron's referring to.
Mathias is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old November 16th, 2016, 08:09 AM
I guess Lore Warden is the only example I can find easily, I am sure there are others but they might not be archetypes.
Aaron is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
AkosPrime

Old November 16th, 2016, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
The Lore Warden archetype is an example of what Aaron's referring to.
Awesome! I'll take a look at that tonight when I get home. I guess my problem is figuring out whether I need to just create a validation script, or if I should create a new <something> that I can call via a bootstrap. I tried the bootstrap option and just calling the already created thing (i.e. favored class skill bonus) and that's why they don't stack since it's a duplicate I guess. I'll see how that Lore Warden does it and see if I can emulate that. Thanks again.
AkosPrime is offline   #10 Reply With Quote