Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Exmortis

Old October 3rd, 2016, 08:36 AM
Just so every everyone who posts whining about it, it is just as tiresome. I am ecstatic about what RW does for me, what offers me, and what the future holds.

So we are going to have to just live with each other and agree to be on opposite sides.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #161 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old October 3rd, 2016, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathorus View Post
Just so every apologist here knows, it's getting just as tiresome to have complaints dismissed about a project that hasn't even delivered all of its key functionality after having been funded for three and a half years, as it is to see those complaints.
I'm not dismissing your complaints. I just do not understand why you aren't using RW as it is. The more I use it the more indispensable it becomes.
kbs666 is offline   #162 Reply With Quote
Kathorus

Old October 3rd, 2016, 01:23 PM
I, specifically, am not really complaining, am a Dire Wolf backer, use the product sporadically trying to make it work for me, and hope the things I'm eager for get resolved and implemented so that I can really start using it, and come on the forum from time to time to see what's brewing.

When someone complains about something on this forum and a non-employee answers that post with "it's very complex, be glad they are still working on it and not snorting coke like other kickstarter's, you'll get your stuff eventually, if you read this disclaimer they never really said they'd give you anything for your money, etc..." ad nauseum, it leaves a bad feeling with me for the company.
Kathorus is offline   #163 Reply With Quote
Grey Mage

Old October 3rd, 2016, 01:55 PM
Have to jump back in here...

I do agree strongly with the idea that using RW in the now is very important. It has its flaws and even its undelivered features; but with all that said it is still the best tool out there for really managing a campaign. And it has a learning curve... the time spent just mastering the present features will always be a +1.

IF a GM is only doing one offs and such, it can quickly become the core reference they need. Especially for less popular game systems. I mean for PF and 5e, there are websites and wikis dedicated to giving them easy reference tools, saving so much time in not having to dig through PDFs (or even worse dozens of paper references).

For the GM who has a massive homebrew campaign (based off a popular system or not), it allows him or her to put away the notebooks, binders and even boxes of file cards away (once all of that material is inputted into RW of course) and really focus on the pleasure of running the game.

Folks, I have done it all; from binders (full of xerox'd pages from Dragon because bringing the entire mags would have meant dragging a footlocker to the game every week) and 3"x5" cards (several thousand of them at one time) to PDFs and wikis on a (memory) stick. I could never go back after using RW. Simple as that. There are just too many things it already does that make my life as a GM and a player easier. And it promises to just get better and better.

Sure it has features that remain undelivered (years later), yes it has suffered from misplanning and management at times, but it is not vaporware!!!! LWD is delivering what they promised. And putting up with a bunch of repetitious whining while doing it. I sometimes joke with my players/friends that if just half the time people spent bitching about stuff here was given over submitting bug reports and helpful messages, RW would be the best campaign management/gaming software on the planet... then we all end up laughing and saying "But wait a minute... it already is!"

I mean seriously, if it is so bad, who do the complainers and nay'sayers keep using it? Because they spent $40 or $50 bucks in a KS and 'want what they paid for?' If that is only time you have felt hard done in spending a bit of money, I am impressed. I have seen dozens of times where vaporware was promised and then never came to fruition. Anyone remember Tools that were bundled with the PHB when D&D 3.0 from Wizards came out? Or their promised online character generator? Or online mapping tool? I almost shudder as I type "GleeMax?"

Seriously, let's let LWD do what they need to do (ie., create great software) and try to dial back the whining and complaining. After all, for those of us in the US of A, we have something far better to whine and complain about... the current election cycle!

This is longer than I had intended, and it was not my intention to tweak anyone's nose (well maybe a little bit). Just a bit weary of the constant negativity of late. I would close with the suggestion that you take a walk with your dog (always works for me), call a friend and yak about a great gaming session you had a few years back (ok, decades back for some of us) or jump into your current game when the next session comes around and just let go of all the crap and feel the joy that the game and its camaraderie brings to you. So much better than focusing on anything negative in your life... especially the current election cycle!
Grey Mage is offline   #164 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old October 3rd, 2016, 09:43 PM
Looks like we might know something by late next week.

Quote:
Realm Works Update
As you might have noticed, the last month has been very quiet for Realm Works. While it may seem as if there’s little going on, we’re actually putting in long hours to bring you many of the major components you’ve been patiently waiting for.

We aren’t quite there yet, and you know we shy away from giving dates these days, but—just this once—keep an eye out on our forums and watch for a special news announcement late next week! We expect to have exciting information regarding our imminent content market, key new features, and even release details!

Our heart-felt thanks to all our supporters who have demonstrated incredible patience while we worked through bugs, enhancements, and seemingly every complication under the sun. At long last, we’re almost there…

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #165 Reply With Quote
Gwydion

Old October 4th, 2016, 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Looks like we might know something by late next week.
Yep. Saw that to in my email. Anxious to see the announcement!
Gwydion is offline   #166 Reply With Quote
Dhrakken

Old October 4th, 2016, 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
Yep. Saw that to in my email. Anxious to see the announcement!
Aren't we all? I'm going to hold off manually inputting any more content (started from scratch 2 days ago) until I see what the word is on the content market.
Dhrakken is offline   #167 Reply With Quote
Tharmiones

Old October 4th, 2016, 05:50 AM
My bet on the potential "content" of the announcement is:
"We are almost ready for the release of the content market. We are making great progress so stay tuned for the next update in the followin weeks"
Tharmiones is offline   #168 Reply With Quote
Inglorin

Old October 4th, 2016, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharmiones View Post
My bet on the potential "content" of the announcement is:
"We are almost ready for the release of the content market. We are making great progress so stay tuned for the next update in the followin weeks"
You are forgetting: "This new release (headed your way really soon) won't show many user facing additions to the software, but we did something very important in the background. This is all gonna help in the long run. Be prepared. Soon."
Inglorin is offline   #169 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old October 4th, 2016, 07:35 AM
The community manager position is no longer vacant, sorry guys.

Jokes aside, LWD communicated a lot in past. It's good that they concentrate on the things ahead and present the CM in one of the upcoming releases. So I am intrigued how it will look like...

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #170 Reply With Quote