Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Farling

Old April 13th, 2019, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhar View Post
It would be different if we could have more than one realm open. Then we could link to the content in another realm.
The second sentence is a whole step more complicated than the first sentence

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old April 14th, 2019, 09:14 AM
@Farling That is very true. And I'd imagine that the structure of RW makes that nigh impossible at this time. At least one of RW's competitors can do this seamlessly and totally painlessly, even linking content by other creators as long as you have access rights. It's definitely something RW needs to consider. But it would likely take an engine retooling.

I'd love to have a master world realm, campaign realm and game system realm in RW. Each is focused and recyclable. I'm not holding my breath for RW to do this.
AEIOU is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
Cammagno

Old April 15th, 2019, 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhar View Post
Basically, I see the realm (the adventure) as an organized three-ring binder. My impression was that I could buy the Bestiary, take three "pages" that have the monsters I need to for my game from that binder/realm, and add them to my adventure binder/realm. Apparently not.
You can, but in a very not-optimal way: you have to add all the Bestiary and then delete all the unneeded pages.
Cammagno is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
Kathorus

Old April 17th, 2019, 09:50 AM
Perhaps I'm missing a vital piece of info, but here's my use case.

I'm preparing a 5e campaign, I've imported the SRD, Midgard Worldbook, Heroes Handbook, and Tome of Beasts.

In Realm Works all of this is stored in the World Almanac and Mechanics Reference.

I rename the "Story Almanac" to "Dornig" which is where the game is taking place, then add all that I need from the World Almanac to the new view. Then I make a Mechanic view called "My Mechanics" and add all of the SRD to it, a few races that I am allowing from the Heroes Handbook, some spells, monsters, etc... from the various other sources. The new views are my 3-ring binder.

So now I have everything I need from all sources in two views, I stop using the World Almanac and Mechanics Reference altogether. I've deleted nothing, so that if I want to add another monster from the ToB or an area from the campaign world, I can easily do that.

In Addition, I can add all the various views and tools from the Ribbon to the the Quick Access toolbar and then minimize the Ribbon so I'm not seeing the World Almanac or the main Mechanics View and just use the Quick Access Toolbar to navigate between the various items.

I realize this doesn't cut down on import times or the amount of data in the database, if that's what the issue is, but it does address only needing to see certain items within the software itself as I'm using it. Also, any custom items I add, even if it is a picture and description to a monster in the SRD (per daplunk's post towards to beginning) can be exported out of this realm, and into another realm with the SRD and it will merge with the existing record.
Kathorus is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old April 18th, 2019, 02:15 PM
@Kathorus

I've never used the quick-access toolbar, so using that with the ribbon minimized is a good tip.

Creating specific views in a Realm is certainly one way to recycle content for different campaigns, but the problems is that the reveal history is not view specific. You could copy topics and articles and organize them by campaign, I suppose but that seems to even more work than reimporting the SRD, etc. into each campaign.

I am not running concurrent campaigns in the same setting and I don't run many different campaigns, so I don't really have any issue with the current import/export functionality.

But for those who do, I *think* what may be particularly helpful is a feature many have been asking for: individual player reveal. That way you can run multiple groups through the same setting concurrently, without having to make and maintain multiple realms for the same setting/adventure.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #35 Reply With Quote