Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

TheIronGolem

Old January 9th, 2018, 05:06 PM
Some class specials grant a bonus feat at a certain level. The classic example is the Ranger with Endurance. In Hero Lab, this means bootstrapping the feat from a class special with a condition of "count:Classes.classID >= X", so that the feat only appears live on the hero once they have the requisite number of levels. However, if the character doesn't have the requisite number of class levels it's still possible to add the feat to the character by hand, and prerequisites are handled normally by HL.

I'm trying to implement a class feature that does this, but with my custom component for Spheres of Power (a "talent", which if you're not familiar with that system works a lot like a feat). I've found that if I make a talent Add Once instead of Unique, the user can add a conditionally-bootstrapped talent "prematurely", but in the menu it appears with a validation error saying "this ability (or an equivalent) has already been added to the hero", like so:

I'm trying to figure out how to make my component's behavior in this respect mirror that of feats, so that a user with levels in this class have the option of taking the talent before it's granted by the class, without seeing that validation error. This is because the class feature in question gives the hero a bonus talent at the appropriate level if they already have the talent in question.

I know I can simply grant a bonus talent and then use an eval rule to yell at the user if they don't have the talent in question. But I'm hoping to automate this so that required action on the user's part is minimized.

I also realize this issue doesn't actually stop the user from adding the talent if they want to, but I'd really like to find a solution that doesn't require me to tell users "it's fine, ignore the error" - especially since most users would probably not even ask me about it and will instead incorrectly assume that they can't take the talent.
TheIronGolem is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old January 9th, 2018, 05:29 PM
You can assign a level as a bootstrap condition. Look at the bottom of this page for a code example:

http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index...._Element_(Data)
EightBitz is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old January 9th, 2018, 05:30 PM
You can also look here for the syntax of other conditions:

http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=47611
EightBitz is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
TheIronGolem

Old January 9th, 2018, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
You can assign a level as a bootstrap condition. Look at the bottom of this page for a code example:

http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index...._Element_(Data)
I know; I'm already doing that and the conditional bootstrap works just fine.

The problem I'm trying to solve is the case of when the user tries to manually add the ability in question at an earlier level. HL handles this fine with feats; try adding Endurance to a level 1 or 2 Ranger and you'll find you can do it with no issue. But if you do the same thing with my component, it gives that validation error. I'm trying to figure out why that is.
TheIronGolem is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 9th, 2018, 06:28 PM
Are all your components totally made by you or are you including LW components in your component set?

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
TheIronGolem

Old January 9th, 2018, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Are all your components totally made by you or are you including LW components in your component set?
Several LW components are included: Value, Ability, Tracker, DescInfo, Domain, Activated, UserSelect, SetName, SpecialTab, StatblName.

I tried adding in the other components that feats use as an experiment, but no joy.
TheIronGolem is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old January 9th, 2018, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronGolem View Post
Several LW components are included: Value, Ability, Tracker, DescInfo, Domain, Activated, UserSelect, SetName, SpecialTab, StatblName.

I tried adding in the other components that feats use as an experiment, but no joy.
Actually I expect one of those to be the one giving the error. The error message is NOT a HL core feature. I am 99% sure its coming from a pre-req script on the LW component Ability.

I just tested using a Rogue Talent and a Endurance feat bootstrapped to an Adjustment. Both the Rogue Talent and the Endurance feat give the "exact" same error message about the ability already being added.

Noname.jpg

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old January 9th, 2018, 07:15 PM
Quote:
I'm trying to implement a class feature that does this, but with my custom component for Spheres of Power (a "talent", which if you're not familiar with that system works a lot like a feat). I've found that if I make a talent Add Once instead of Unique, the user can add a conditionally-bootstrapped talent "prematurely", but in the menu it appears with a validation error saying "this ability (or an equivalent) has already been added to the hero", like so:
Re-reading this. Maybe I am confused. I think your saying the issue is your bootstrapped talent which is not yet "LIVE" is causing an error in the list? Are you 100% sure the talent is not live on the hero?

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
TheIronGolem

Old January 9th, 2018, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Re-reading this. Maybe I am confused. I think your saying the issue is your bootstrapped talent which is not yet "LIVE" is causing an error in the list? Are you 100% sure the talent is not live on the hero?
Pretty sure, yeah. As it happens, this talent is one that increases the damage done by a different ability, so I can tell whether it's live pretty easily just by checking the damage listed in that ability's livename:

Level 6:

Level 7:

I also tested the talent with a notify statement, just to be sure.

I'd be inclined to agree that the Ability component is the culprit, except that feats also have the Ability component and the Ranger's Endurance bonus feat doesn't have the same issue. I really hope that isn't the problem, because I definitely can't remove Ability from the compset!
TheIronGolem is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old January 9th, 2018, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Ranger's Endurance bonus feat doesn't have the same issue. I really hope that isn't the problem, because I definitely can't remove Ability from the compset!
Well it does as soon as a ranger is level 3+ because the endurance feat becomes live on the hero.

Based on what your saying I agree with you on why you have confusion because I have it now also. Until the talent is live (which the bootstrap condition is preventing) it should NOT be causing an error message to appear.

I just created a very simple test user file. An adjustment that bootstraps the rogue talent "Acrobatic Assist" and sets a simple condition requiring level 2+ rogue. At level 1 "Acrobatic Assist" has no warning about an equivalent ability. As soon as I hit level 2 I get the warning......

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #10 Reply With Quote