Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Darkechilde

Old July 11th, 2015, 12:34 PM
I have used Tablesmith (http://www.mythosa.net/tablesmith.shtml) for a long time, and would love it if something like this were incorporated into Realm Works - able to generate content for tables using simple text, with the ability to interlace the tables for increasingly complex results; by clicking an icon within Realm Works, the table would generate results.

It'd be great for random generation of names, traits, wandering encounters - nearly anything.

For your consideration - thanks!
Darkechilde is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
JustinThomason

Old July 11th, 2015, 01:53 PM
I use a similar program - Inspiration Pad Pro from NBOS software.

IPP uses text documents with a specific file extension (.ipt). I attached one of the generator files to a topic as a "Foreign Object" snippet. Once done, I can launch the generator straight from the snippet by clicking on the Play triangle.

If Tablesmith uses files with a specific extension that is associated with the program in Windows, I think that should work for you as well.

I've wanted integrated tables as well, but seeing how quickly and easily this option worked, I think I'll be fine just including tables as Foreign Objects from now on.
JustinThomason is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Darkechilde

Old September 1st, 2015, 07:43 PM
That's a great tip, thanks. Tablesmith just uses .txt files, and draws them from specific folders within the program. I'll check out NBOS's program as an alternative - thanks!
Darkechilde is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old September 2nd, 2015, 09:19 PM
The ideal way to handle this if RW were to create the functionality w/in the RW application is to have a button that when you click on it, it give a list of random generators that you have created. When you select one, the results would be displayed in a dialog box with an option to copy them to your clipboard or to paste the results into the topic that is in focus where your cursor is located.

For now, there are a few ways to integrate randomizers into your workflow. I've used all of them but am increasingly staying old school. I'll start with that.

1. OLD SCHOOL
For very simple random tables or tables that will only be used once for a specific scene, just use a formatted table or unformatted list and roll a dice.

2. OLD SCHOOL PRE-ROLLED
Save space in your topics by pre-rolling your random encounters, treasure, etc. and just put what they are in the topic. If you are selling an adventure to others in the content market, you may very well need to provide the formatted table. But if you are just preparing for your own session using your own content. Roll ahead of time. Save space in your topic and time at the table.

3. Link to a Web-based Randomizer
There are so many on-line name and encounter generators. You can just past in a URL into a text snippet and click on it in game to pull up the generator in your Web browser. I do this a lot because I'm lazy. But there are disadvantages to this approach: (1) only works if you have an internet connection, (2) you need to open another application, (3) if you want to save the results in RW or wherever you are keeping session notes, you need to copy and paste.

4. Add a "Documents and Media—>HTML Page (Complete)" snippet to include an HTML form with scripting for your generator. This way need not leave RW to generate the random whatever. You do still need to open it over the current tab or in a new tab in RW. And you still need to cut and paste to record the results for future reference. There is a great discussion on how to do this here: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=50225

Personally the reward isn't worth the time for me, though it is fun to play around with. What may change my mind, however, is the upcoming Web version of RW. IF the HTML (complete) snippets with randomizer scripts carry over to AND WORK IN the Web version of RW, that would be awesome and I would consider this approach. It would allow me to create my own randomizers and have them available from any computer with an internet connection.

5. Add a Foreign Object snippet and link to an Inspiration Pad file (or file for a similar product). If you already use something like inspiration pad and have invested time into creating random encounter and name generators using it, then this is a great option. But you have to be using RW on a computer that has the other software installed. You also have to manage multiple applications and copy/paste results if you need to keep them.

6. Phrase Express or a similar universal-macro program

Phrase Express makes it easy to randomize large lists and to combine multiple randomizers to create names, encounters, treasure, etc. Also, it will put the results wherever your cursor is, or you can have it put the results into your clipboard. For large, custom, frequently used lists, this is my preferred method. No need to leave RW or even the active tab and I can save the results in RW easily. Active Words is a similar program that I've used and recommend. There are some free, open source alternatives as well, though I don't have much experience using them.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old September 2nd, 2015, 09:42 PM
This sounds like an opportunity for an entrepreneur on the Marketplace. They get a few dollars and we get functionality with minimal impact on calendars.
AEIOU is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old September 3rd, 2015, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
This sounds like an opportunity for an entrepreneur on the Marketplace. They get a few dollars and we get functionality with minimal impact on calendars.
Yeah, someone with coding knowledge could put together some great randomizers in HTML complete pages, all as snippets in a single Mechanics Reference Article. And of course just integrate them into adventure topics.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
dmbeliar

Old September 22nd, 2015, 11:23 PM
+1 to this, but even the ability to create tables manually from Realmworks would suffice for me. Currently there is no such content type
dmbeliar is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Grey Mage

Old September 23rd, 2015, 12:54 PM
+1 to this
Grey Mage is offline   #8 Reply With Quote