Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

kbs666

Old February 19th, 2019, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydevil43 View Post
Oh I dream of being retired !...Who doesn't, but I totally agree... I am only putting in Adventure Paths - haven't even contemplated started on bestiary's and associated content - probably don't need it with today's internet.

I like doing it. I do something a little different each one I do.

The first one is a mess, there is stuff everywhere, but I learned, I improved.

Combined with that I can now run it on my surface pro for a whole session thanks to 64bit without it crashing I am a happy camper.
I'm almost done with bestiary 1 and 2, not the statblocks, I've got HL for that stuff, but the fluff and a set of knowledge snippets for each creature that I can feed my players rather than always trying to come up with what to tell them on successful knowledge rolls. Plus now that 64 bit is a thing I'm getting the images in at as a high a resolution as I can so they look good on my 4k display I use as player view.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #41 Reply With Quote
Happydevil43

Old February 20th, 2019, 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I'm almost done with bestiary 1 and 2, not the statblocks, I've got HL for that stuff, but the fluff and a set of knowledge snippets for each creature that I can feed my players rather than always trying to come up with what to tell them on successful knowledge rolls. Plus now that 64 bit is a thing I'm getting the images in at as a high a resolution as I can so they look good on my 4k display I use as player view.
I never thought of that to be honest... can you give me an example ? My guys do that too all the time, and I just try and make somethign up on the fly from the bestiary entry online.

4K display - maaan... we have just started using arkenforge (which is awesome) - which they love too.... no more drawing maps for this black duck!
Happydevil43 is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 20th, 2019, 04:45 AM
Ok. Let me find one of the better ones.

Giant Spider (every line is a snippet)
Some giant spiders are poisonous!​
Giant spiders cannot be affected by things that affect minds​
Giant spiders can spin and throw webs.​

There are a few more common creatures with more than three entries but realistically how often do your players make more than 3 knowledge checks on the same creature type in the same campaign?

I've been using CC3 to draw maps for about a year since there was a really great deal on Bundle of Holding or one of those sites.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw

Last edited by kbs666; February 20th, 2019 at 04:52 AM.
kbs666 is offline   #43 Reply With Quote
Happydevil43

Old February 20th, 2019, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Ok. Let me find one of the better ones.

Giant Spider (every line is a snippet)
Some giant spiders are poisonous!​
Giant spiders cannot be affected by things that affect minds​
Giant spiders can spin and throw webs.​

There are a few more common creatures with more than three entries but realistically how often do your players make more than 3 knowledge checks on the same creature type in the same campaign?

I've been using CC3 to draw maps for about a year since there was a really great deal on Bundle of Holding or one of those sites.
That's ingenious... I am going to look at that... I have the pathfinder bestiary in csv format, but its got so much stuff in there I don't need, but I can use it to build something like that. My lot never remember to do knowledge checks, but every now and then they do and I have to scramble.

I have been playing with Arkenforge, and really like where that is going, plus the devs have said it will have RW integration at some point in the future, they were hoping late this year, but I guess that depends on how other releases go
Happydevil43 is offline   #44 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 20th, 2019, 01:47 PM
I think Arkenforge have said they will integrate Realm Works with no real plan on how to do so. Without an API on the Realm Works side i'm not sure how much they will be able to do.

For any CC3+ users looking for a community there are heaps of us in HERE. Very helpful group of people with all levels of experience. Forums are also a great source of help as Monsen hangs there and he knows more about this application than any other person.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #45 Reply With Quote
Happydevil43

Old February 20th, 2019, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
I think Arkenforge have said they will integrate Realm Works with no real plan on how to do so. Without an API on the Realm Works side i'm not sure how much they will be able to do.
I am not sure they have had any conversations with LWD yet, and I am guessing that Arkenforge will do that at some point... but you are right I am not sure how they will do it, unless LWD develop some sort of API, which may or may not be in the works already - but thats pure speculation.

The beauty of Arkenforge unlike FG, Maptools etc etc is that you only need one application open to do your maps, your DM and Player view is just a toggle switch away. sure it doesnt have all the functionality of maptools and some others, but it is improving all the time, the Devs and community are very active, plus he's Aussie, how much more awesome is that! :-)

The downside, is you need a laptop with a dedicated graphics card - its pretty graphics intensive.
Happydevil43 is offline   #46 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 20th, 2019, 04:35 PM
I've got it. They were kind enough to give me a copy so I could review it for them

I like the direction but not necessarily the functionality currently. Like I said to them though, I am not the core demographic that they are trying to hit. I'm an advanced and heavy user of digital tools. I don't need my tools to be easy to use, I want them to be able to do what ever I need to do with them. Arkenforge is aiming to be easy to use.

In that regards CC3+ > Arkenforge for map making. CC3+ can make publishable maps and have many advanced features.
In regards to VTT, MapTools is more efficient to use imo. I like the hot-keys and the responsiveness of the program. It also lets me put the player screen where ever I like.

But I am watching closely. Because I LOVE those animated symbols.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #47 Reply With Quote
Happydevil43

Old February 20th, 2019, 09:15 PM
Quote:
I've got it.
We all have our preferences - I like the simplifed tools. My players love it so far.

Oh yes... I personally love the lighting and shadow effects.

The Dynamic dungeons stuff is awesome.

One little tip that somebody came up with yesterday... highlighting hidden things on the map.... by adding a lighting effect to an invisible item (aka secret door), when the players notice it, you can just make it visible and the lighting effect appears.

I did the same thing for a chest hidden under a bed... players went ooooooo

And that makes me as a GM happy.

I must go back and have another look at CC3 .. but too many other toys to play with :-)
Happydevil43 is offline   #48 Reply With Quote
dmbritt

Old February 22nd, 2019, 04:37 AM
Quote:
I've got it. They were kind enough to give me a copy so I could review it for them

I like the direction but not necessarily the functionality currently. Like I said to them though, I am not the core demographic that they are trying to hit. I'm an advanced and heavy user of digital tools. I don't need my tools to be easy to use, I want them to be able to do what ever I need to do with them. Arkenforge is aiming to be easy to use.

In that regards CC3+ > Arkenforge for map making. CC3+ can make publishable maps and have many advanced features.
In regards to VTT, MapTools is more efficient to use imo. I like the hot-keys and the responsiveness of the program. It also lets me put the player screen where ever I like.

I love CC3+ BUT I found something far better. Wonderdraft. The main factor is the amount of time it takes to do a decent map in CC3+ versus Wonderdraft. OMG, Wonderdraft can do a near professional quality map in a fraction of the time of ANY other mapping program I have found. It can be customized and many people make symbols for it. It has map themes that can be changed on the fly... a procedural coastline brush that can detail your coastline in real-time as you draw the map... Not to mention you can get it DRM free and load it 100% local. It is SO FAST for making maps I can't imagine slogging through CC3+ anymore ...too much time and effort wasted versus the result. Check it out, you 'probably' wont be disappointed.
dmbritt is offline   #49 Reply With Quote
Lexin

Send a message via Skype™ to Lexin

Old February 23rd, 2019, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbritt View Post
Wonderdraft. The main factor is the amount of time it takes to do a decent map in CC3+ versus Wonderdraft.
Brilliant looking program. I will buy that as soon as I'm paid again. Only shows overland maps on the website, so may have to retain CC3+ for dungeons and internal buildings.

--
Lexin

GM from Gwynedd, Wales - seriously old school - playing RPGs since 1980!

Tools: Realm Works, HeroLab, Campaign Cartographer 3+
Lexin is offline   #50 Reply With Quote