Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

xenomega

Old May 18th, 2016, 06:19 PM
I replaced my HP with a Mac laptop. I didn't do much with RealmWorks before so I'm not worried about transferring my data or anything. I just want to be able to run it without having to boot into Windows. I have an older version of Parallels and Win7, but I wonder how well it will run just for RealmWorks. I was looking in the App Store and there is an app called WinOnX that is only $8, but it doesn't have the best reviews.

Anyone have success with this?
xenomega is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old May 18th, 2016, 11:04 PM
WinOnX is based on Wine, which will not work for Realm Works. You need to use actual Windows, whether via virtual machines (like Parallels or VirtualBox) or dual-booting. Performance-wise I doubt you'll have problems with any of the current virtual machine solutions; in that sense Realm Works isn't very demanding.

Last edited by Parody; May 18th, 2016 at 11:07 PM.
Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old May 19th, 2016, 06:20 AM
I run it in parallels and windows 8 and have minimal issues.
adzling is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Vampyre

Old May 27th, 2016, 07:50 AM
To be honest, it works very well on my Mac (Macbook Air 2014) with Parallels and Win 7. It works better than Fantasy Grounds (it makes the laptop slowly heat), while RW doesn't.

No problems if you have parallels !
Vampyre is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
JustinThomason

Old May 27th, 2016, 09:10 AM
I used to run the program in Parallels before I got my Windows laptop - it always worked fine for me as well.
JustinThomason is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ThatOneMike

Old May 27th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Do you need your own server or Windows 7 to run Parallels?
ThatOneMike is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old May 27th, 2016, 10:23 AM
you would run windows 7 (or any later version) within parallels on your mac.

or install windows as it's own partition on your mac and boot into windows

or do both (only one install)!

no server required.....
adzling is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Bobson

Old May 29th, 2016, 07:05 PM
I've got an old 2008 Mac Pro tower, and it runs Realmworks in Parallels (running Win 7) just fine.

I really wish that there was a mac-native version, just because of the overhead of the emulation, but I get by with this. I use Dropbox to sync my folder of game-related files, so that I can edit an image on the mac, save it, and by the time I've flipped over to Parallels, it's just finished syncing and is ready to import into RealmWorks.
Bobson is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Tekwych

Old May 29th, 2016, 07:37 PM
I was a KS backer but have never used RW because I will not use the Windows environment. I have chosen the Mac platform for specific reasons and Windows platform negates most of them. The moment their is a native version of RW I will gladly pay full price for it and instal it as it is a wonderful product, the backend, however, may never allow that option.

That said, as a system engineer. Parallels is a great product with low system requirements. There are two ways to install it. The first was is to create the virtual system in a folder within the Mac user environment. The up side is the Windows system is inside the Mac environment and any backup, including Time Machine, automatically backs up the entire virtual system, settings and all. The down side is you are running two OSs at the same time (Beef up your RAM and its not that bad), and a 10GB virtual system will add 10GB to your backup drive every time you so much as open Windows.

The better option is to use Boot Camp to create a second partition on the drive in a NTFS format and install windows on this second partition. After that is done go back to the Mac side and, from the admin user environment, install Parallels and let ir subsume the new Windows partition. With this install you can run either in Windows or in Mac and you can launch individual Windows apps form the Mac desktop. It takes fewer resources on the system and allows you to run what you need all at once or boot to Windows and apply all assets to those tasks. The down side is most Macintosh backup utilities do not recognize the NTFS partition.

VM Ware Fussion is a more robust virtual machine but is not as easy to use and maintenance free as Parallels.
Tekwych is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
xenomega

Old May 31st, 2016, 11:10 AM
What about VirtualBox? Anyone ever used this?
xenomega is offline   #10 Reply With Quote