Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

zandraxon

Old November 4th, 2016, 02:04 PM
quick question hoping someone can assist with. I create in RW on desktop, then sync to my laptop for games at another location. Eager to try HL after down-under DM posted the videos showing all the linking. BUT... can I move any and all created things in HL from my desktop PC to the laptop, as easily as the syncing is in RW?

If I get a yes on this, I buy HL tonight to be ready for tomorrow's game. No sleep then which will be tough after hanging out with 5 million of my closest cub fan friends this morning, but anything for my players...

Thanks!
zandraxon is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old November 4th, 2016, 02:35 PM
Google Drive works wonders here. All my characters are saved on Google Drive and sync seamlessly.

The only thing that does not sync is custom files created using the editor. This is generally not too much of an issue though as most people would rarely create custom content out of the community packs which sync automatically from a server.

What system are you looking at? Will help us provide better answers.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old November 4th, 2016, 02:37 PM
Important to note, since your using Realm Works. NPCs, Monsters, even Heroes can be saved in Realm Works allowing that to handle the sync. Just means you launch the content from Realm Works instead of through the standard file system.

Again though, custom *.user files need to exist on both machines.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
zandraxon

Old November 4th, 2016, 02:45 PM
Running 3.5 with some house rules. Mostly concerned about a single prestige class that I'm using/swiping from Fiendish Codex that I figure I'll have to enter manually.

If RW will handle syncing up NPCs and monsters, that would probably take care of most of it, although I REALLY want to use the encounter builder and tactical console too.
zandraxon is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 4th, 2016, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zandraxon View Post
Running 3.5 with some house rules. Mostly concerned about a single prestige class that I'm using/swiping from Fiendish Codex that I figure I'll have to enter manually.
If you are doing d20 3.5 you need to look at the 3.5 Community Pack download. I don't' know if the specific PrC you need is done. But allot is done by the community.

Quote:
If RW will handle syncing up NPCs and monsters, that would probably take care of most of it, although I REALLY want to use the encounter builder and tactical console too.
The Encounter Builder in d20 is lacking right now as very few monsters have been made into stock files. Sendric is actively working on fixing this but its a work in progress.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
zandraxon

Old November 4th, 2016, 03:01 PM
Hummm... that is a bummer if the monsters aren't there. I was really impressed with the ease of transition between RW and HL in 5.0 for the combats and was looking forward to trying it out.

Greatly appreciate all the pointers...!
zandraxon is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old November 4th, 2016, 03:09 PM
Probably important to note. In my RW video's where I show the transition from RW to HL with the monsters. I don't use the encounter builder there.

You create the monsters in RW using HL snippets and simply build the monsters via the process shown. That enables the transition from RW to HL. The Encounter builder is there though with 375 options.

I just loaded up the 3.5 set in demo mode and there's 135 races. Adding the community pack mentioned by Shadow above bumps that to 467!

Check out the demo mode, see if you like it.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old November 4th, 2016, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Hummm... that is a bummer if the monsters aren't there. I was really impressed with the ease of transition between RW and HL in 5.0 for the combats and was looking forward to trying it out.
To be "clear" and on the same page. The monsters exist. ALLOT of them. But the "Encounter Builder" which was invented YEARS after d20 was done. Makes use of stock files to allow easy searching and building. The community never really made allot of use out of Stock files before so they where not done. Now that the Encounter builder is here it makes sense to add them.

So if you open HL and select race "Owl Bear" its there and can be used. The difference will be you open a "Goblin" and the "default" weapons will not be on the race but you can simply add them.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old November 4th, 2016, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
I just loaded up the 3.5 set in demo mode and there's 135 races. Adding the community pack mentioned by Shadow above bumps that to 467!
Wow that is allot more than I thought they had done. Nice!

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #9 Reply With Quote