Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Farling

Old June 23rd, 2019, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaX View Post
Are the various additional packages cheaper with the new server charges having a main cash flow for the company, or is it the same as before, with an added expense, for the Online product?
You could try comparing the price of the Starfinder modules to the Pathfinder (1st edition) modules to see how they compare to each other.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #131 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old June 23rd, 2019, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaX View Post
Are the various additional packages cheaper with the new server charges having a main cash flow for the company, or is it the same as before, with an added expense, for the Online product?
All I know right now is what's posted on the main web site, which is what I mentioned in my post. Farling says that additional core systems will be $25.00, and that appears to be true. I currently have access to Starfinder, and it would cost me $24.99 to add Pathfinder 2.

That's all I know right now.
EightBitz is offline   #132 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old June 23rd, 2019, 04:26 PM
Oh, and there's this (just saw this):
http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....59&postcount=9
EightBitz is offline   #133 Reply With Quote
ScottGamer

Old July 11th, 2019, 09:14 AM
I'll wait for P2e to become available for HLC. I am not going to HLO. I don't want my ability to play character to depend on Internet access, and I don't want Lone Wolf knowing every time I use their product. (Yes, my firewall blocks HLC; I unblock it if I want to check for updates.)

Last edited by ScottGamer; July 11th, 2019 at 09:18 AM.
ScottGamer is offline   #134 Reply With Quote
thaX

Old July 13th, 2019, 09:14 PM
you will be waiting for a long time. Classic will only ever have the systems on it that it has now, any new systems, including new editions, will be on HLO.

For me, it is disappointing that they have moved to this format, but even more so since a lot of the offline use you could have with HLC is simply impossible with the new version. This is on top of not being able to print a proper character sheet (though the PDF print is a lot better than the previous offering), inability to save the character (the character is saved in real time and assumed to be played off the generator), and the limited way offline use will be available once implemented.

It has a long way to go to equal the previous product. One should improve and have a better product, not a different one that is trying to do different things.
thaX is offline   #135 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old July 14th, 2019, 12:42 PM
Once there's full classic HL support on HLO (for our group, that will include The Community Package and Spheres of Power/Spheres of Might, before we consider migrating), I'm pretty sure HLO will be fine.

The bandwidth requirements of a HL portfolio isn't much, and phones have lots of data these days. I get 10 GB in my package, and my provider is now offering packages with unlimited data.
Ualaa is offline   #136 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old July 14th, 2019, 02:26 PM
And that's fine, for you. I prefer to buy my cars and not lease or rent them, but that's because I keep my cars for a long time and a sense of equity makes sense to me.
Azhrei is offline   #137 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old July 15th, 2019, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhrei View Post
And that's fine, for you. I prefer to buy my cars and not lease or rent them, but that's because I keep my cars for a long time and a sense of equity makes sense to me.
Ditto for me. (With cars that is) When it comes to HeroLab Classic, I'm quite happy with a license to use the product, even though I don't own it.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #138 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old July 15th, 2019, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dami View Post
Ditto for me. (With cars that is) When it comes to HeroLab Classic, I'm quite happy with a license to use the product, even though I don't own it.
Haha, touché!

You're right, of course. When it comes to software, I'd prefer something more like a book or DVD (where I can resell it when I'm done with it), but that ship has sailed. (Wow, really mixing metaphors now!)
Azhrei is offline   #139 Reply With Quote
thaX

Old July 15th, 2019, 07:25 AM
The slipfall of ownership of a "Program" vs. the renting of an "app" is the slippery slope. That the overall permanence of having a program on the computer is slowly giving way to temporary licenses that allow the use of the program that is never owned by the user at all.

When we buy a car, we have a physical object, likely owned by the bank until it is payed off, or traded away for a new lease. The reason for this is because it costs a lot of money that the normal person will not have sitting around.

This is not the case for programs, but with the license fee that a lot of companies are going to, following Microsoft's lead with Office, the cost of the "App" is getting higher, and we end up paying more for the app than when we did paying a one time cost for the program.

Now, I don't think HLO is getting that bad, yet. I would hope that the content licenses for the additional content within the system license would be discounted now that HLO has a monthly/yearly fee for server access, but thus far I don't see that happening. If the trend continues as it has for other apps of this nature, the cost will only go up.
thaX is offline   #140 Reply With Quote