Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - User Projects

Notices

ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 6th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodrin View Post
Once you've tagged the sources correctly Shadow any chance of sending me the updated files please. I'm still missing sources on a few of the custom data. Thanks.
Yep no problem. Though not necessary to ask. We will be first putting this up as a download from Cheifweasel's site. We are also hoping to start using a feature called the Secondary Update URL. This would allow people to directly download the file from Cheifweasel's site and have it automatically install itself directly through Hero Lab. Very similar to how you install official updates now.

So yes the main goal of this project is to have an easier and complete d20 data set for the community and show off all the GREAT work that Lawful_g has done. So no fear I have no plans to keep this for myself. Heck I have little need for this myself actually as my games are all Pathfinder now.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old October 6th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I haven't been working on my data files much in the last few weeks. Do you remember the date I sent you that batch, I could check to see if I have changed much. Current project is the Draconomicon feats, which will entail replacing the Dragon Disciple's and Half dragon's breath weapon to forward a user tag for pre req purposes. Also have to mod the dragon races I made to do the same.

C stands for Completed (or near enough), U stands for Uncompleted (needs more work), NM stands for Not Mine (a file I have not changed significantly).

I think the 1.X type is fine, though I am curious about how multiple people will collaborate on making files and updating. You mentioned a website or tool but I can't recall the name.
Lawful_g is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old October 8th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawful_g View Post
I haven't been working on my data files much in the last few weeks. Do you remember the date I sent you that batch, I could check to see if I have changed much.
You sent them to me on 9/19/2010 at 4:41pm CST. Yea just keep track of what changed so we can sync them back in is all. We can consider that 1.1 changes.

Quote:
Current project is the Draconomicon feats, which will entail replacing the Dragon Disciple's and Half dragon's breath weapon to forward a user tag for pre req purposes. Also have to mod the dragon races I made to do the same.
Nice. Is the Dragon Disc and half-dragon in the files I have or is that base HL?

Quote:
C stands for Completed (or near enough), U stands for Uncompleted (needs more work), NM stands for Not Mine (a file I have not changed significantly).

I think the 1.X type is fine, though I am curious about how multiple people will collaborate on making files and updating. You mentioned a website or tool but I can't recall the name.
Thanks for the info. I had assumed, but wanted to make sure. I had sort of mentioned a few ideas to help out. Not sure what will be the easiest actually. As you will always be doing the most it may work best to have you in charge of it or in control of the CORE software.

Another idea was I could host an FTP server that different people could access and use some type of check in /check out process from it. I had recently found a new software that is free called DropBox. It allows people to actually collaborate by having a central shared folder that auto syncs it self to each persons computer.

Now it mentions that if I changed a document and you changed the same document that it would merge them back together. I would want to see that in action to see if it was useful or not.

So if we went this route we would each get a free account at DropBox. Install this little software and share a single folder to all our IDs. Then I would drop in all the d20 files when I am done and the software would simply sync a copy to a folder on each of your computers. Then if I changed a file it would be updated back to everyone else and vise versa. This is just an idea is all.

If someone has a simpler method I am all ears. Maybe just emailing changed stuff to Lawful_G to correctly incorporate into the date set? Personally I won't be do much new stuff in d20 actually. My group is moving towards 100% pathfinder and that is where I need to focus on when this is done. So while I have the Healer 99% done I doubt I will have many other additions actually. Plus once done with the d20 I want to move on to the pathfinder files and do something similar.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old October 8th, 2010, 08:43 AM
So I am getting allot done. I was able to create a Regular Expression that does a pretty good job of putting in Sources with about a 90% accuracy. So that is helping speed things along. Takes some time to figure out the Dragonlanc book as I am not familiar with them but in this case Google is my friend.

With the different books showing up in the sources section of the Configure Your Hero it really shows how many books Lawful_g has actually done. I mean wow!

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old October 9th, 2010, 08:16 PM
All sounds great.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old October 13th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Don't have much progress to report right now. Been swamped at work and had to DM over the weekend so have not gotten anything done in days now.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old October 18th, 2010, 10:49 AM
  • Finished adding sources to everything down and through the P .user files. So about 85% done now actually.
  • All file extensions where changed from .dat to .user.
  • Removed all dates that where part of the file name and moved into the File Version section of the XML.
  • Enhanced the Warlock Eldritch Blast script to use the Value from itself when setting the d6 values instead of the local Variable Bonus. This allows other scripts to adjust the value and have the new adjusted value display on the character sheet.
  • Healer class from the Miniatures Handbook added.
  • Added new Conjuration(Healing) CL Thing to handle any magic item and feats that give a caster level bonus to that specific school of magic. Located in Custom - SpecificSchoolCL.user file.
  • All healer Cure spells calculate themselves with a generic script that has its values changes by setting Tags on the spell.
  • Added the wavecrest gnome from Stormwrack to the Stormwrack races .user file.
  • Added the Warlock Scepter to the MIC magic items .user file.
  • Added scripts to several Magic Items and Feats to adjust the Value of the new Conjuration(Healing) CL Thing so that the correct CL is used for calculating the the Cure Spells for the healer.
So Lots are done and it looks really good to be able to just pick the books you want to use from inside of HL and just have those Things show up. Wish I could say that I will be done this week, but super busy again this week and I have to DM all day on Saturday.

So will see what I can finish but I am still thinking two weeks to finish this up. Then we will need to have a few people test this data set to make sure I didn't miss anything. Then we can go ahead and release this bad boy to the community. Should make allot of people happy as there is allot of good stuff done in here from Lawful_g and it will be easier for everyone to see that when they see the Books actually listed in the Configure Your Hero window.

Later

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old October 19th, 2010, 08:29 AM
So I finally finished all the changes last night. I have all the .user files marked up with a their book Sources. I have also created a new hl import file and wrote a xml file for my website. I have the import file loaded to my site just for now for testing. So looking for those Testers now to try this out and see if they find any issues.

Some things to keep in mind. If you already have Lawful_g .user files or files from Cheifweasel's site in your d20 data folder they will need to be removed. This is VERY important those files MUST be removed. If you don't they will cause duplicate Thing errors.

This is only required for this first install ALL future installs will take care of this problem by overlaying the files with new versions. So this only has to be done this one time. If you are just downloading the Hero Lab d20 data set for the first time you will NOT need to do this step.

Steps to get this to work:
  • Remove old Lawful_g .user files. You don't have to remove any .user files you have created your self.
  • At the top Menu enter the Secondary Update URL(Settings->Basic Settings->Specify Secondary Updates URL....) with the following:
    Code:
    http://www.shadowsoftware.net/shadowgameworld/pathfinder/herolab/d20.xml
  • Press ok and then ok again for the message about restarting HL.
  • Restart HL and at the game selection window click on the blue button on the right to Get Downloads.
  • Look in the list for 'Lawful_G d20(v1.0)' and click the blue button Download.
  • After it finishes downloading(its almost 4 megs) you will be prompted with a new window that will list what is going to be imported and that it will be imported to your d20 data folder. Click the blue button marked Start Import.
  • After the install you will be able to select the 3.5 d20 Game system and on the Configure your Hero window you will have several new sections under the User Data branch. These are 3.0 Books, 3.5 Books, Dragonlance Setting, Forgotten Realms, and Eberron Campaign Setting.
Please feel free to test this process out. Once working the stuff will be switched over to Cheifweasel's site. Also check to make sure that their are no errors when just selecting a single source. Keep an eye open for any thing marked to the wrong book. I think I corrected all the ones I found but their could still be more.

Please post any issues or questions to this thread.

Thanks

Hero Lab Resources:

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; October 19th, 2010 at 07:24 PM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old October 19th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Shoot me a copy. I'll create a test environemnt for it and test it.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old October 19th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefweasel View Post
Shoot me a copy. I'll create a test environment for it and test it.
The instructions above will get you that copy. I would like to test the whole process to see if it all works.

In your case when you do the import their is a button to change the folder location you are going into. So instead of going to d20 you can put it into say d20TEST or what ever you call your test environment folder. The folder name must exist in the herolab\data location.

I don't have any access right now to the .user files but when we get this finished I can send them in a zip file to Lawful_g so he can start work then on v1.1 by incorporating his latest changes into the data set.

You can also follow this LINK to download the .hl file manually. Though then you will have to double click on it to have it start HL and start the import then.

Hero Lab Resources:

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; October 19th, 2010 at 10:00 AM. Reason: spelliing sucks!
ShadowChemosh is offline   #20 Reply With Quote