Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - User Projects

Notices

mirtos

Old April 9th, 2013, 09:28 AM
the OGL stuff for D20 is a lot less open than people think. its important to remember what stuff in the core books falls under OGL and what stuff falls under published WoTC stuff.

much of the D20 stuff actually doesnt fall under the OGL. the various core books are (for the most part, except for flavor content, which is why you lose things like "Heward's" in "Heward's Handy Haversack", but many of the add-on's arent. This is why back in the day, that companies that were doing generations for the "splat" books had to pull them from their oferrings when they used to have data files for those books. Before I ever used hero lab, this was a big issue with some of the generators that were dealing with WoTC draconian policies. (back in the day of their "E-tools", and eventually PCGen).

But I agree with chiefweasel's point "you are probably ok" if you're just going to try to share it, and not sell it. Its just that its incredibly unlikely (and unrealistic) for WoTC to come after you if they arent being hampered financially. If you were to try to sell a data file, that would probably be a different story.

This is why the d20 repository, which is community supported, and not LoneWolf supported, can do a lot of what it can.

All this is my opinion, and not based in any facts (other than some knowledge of the history of WoTC)
mirtos is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old April 9th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Thats true, I should have claerified myself. The core books fall under the OGL.

Also since the d20 (minus 4th edition) are dead properties in the sense that Wizards is not making anymore information for them, they really shouldn't be too concerened with free materials being made from their existing information.

I have been curious to ask a Wizards manager at Gen Con some year to try and get a true answer. I did ask via email a few years back but the reply I got didnt help at all so I didnt go anywhere with it.

If anyone has a friend who works at Wizards maybe they could pass it along and have them follow it up.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old April 9th, 2013, 11:21 AM
My experience with Wizards as a company and software has been nothing but bad. While I agree with you in theory that they shouldnt be concerned with free materials coming from their information, i wouldnt be surprised that if it became prolific enough they might get involved. But then gain, maybe not. d20 and 3.5 is in a weird state now. When 4th editioncame out, they demanded stores to destroy (yep, destroy) all the books. So 3.5 books became a premium on places like amazon. Then the reprint. If WoTC sees a way to make money, they will. In my opinion, they just arent a trustworthy organization.

I think you're safe for free stuff.
mirtos is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old April 10th, 2013, 11:55 AM
I agree Mirtos as well. I have had a few dealings with Wizards in the past, and little of it has been what I would call good.

They are a big company and make a lot of money, they don't do so by playing nice.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #14 Reply With Quote