Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Joe
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 9th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDD View Post
Yes. But by that argument, why are there the six special, privileged top-level containers by default? We could have done without them just by containerizing, too.
Yes you certainly can. However, you're thinking about it from the perspective of an experienced (and probably technically savvy) user.

One of the reasons the simple groupings were added were to make Realm Works seem simpler to approach for new users, or those who don't feel comfortable heavily customizing the software they use. Having a handful of familiar looking groupings (People, Places, Equipment, etc) is far less intimidating to work directly with than nearly 70 different (sometimes oddly specific) categories.

That said, the state of categories, grouping, and hierarchy in Realm Works has morphed over time. This happens with any good, modern software product, especially as we come up with better ways to display complex information, and as we see how people actually use the product. This means our current approach isn't set in stone and we'll of course be taking feedback like this into account as we plan future evolution.
Joe is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
ZZTRaider

Old August 25th, 2015, 09:29 PM
I would also like to see the ability to customize simple grouping categories.

Honestly, as a new user (purchased today), I've spent the last hour and a half trying to figure out how to do it before stumbling across this thread telling me that it's not possible. I find it completely unintuitive; the documentation makes a point of telling me that one of the selling points for this software is that the structure is very customizable, yet the top level of organization for that structure is set in stone.

On a related note, I really feel like the Navigation View setting should be specific to e.g. the World Almanac and Mechanics Reference, rather than being global. I'm generally happy with the simple groups for the Almanacs, but not so much with the Mechanics Reference. From this thread, it sounds like the current workaround is to switch to purely Category grouping and use that to create my desired top level groups. However, since the Navigation View setting is global, not only do I need to set up the top level categories for the Mechanics Reference like I want, but I also need to create containing categories for the Almanacs to retain the top level organization that is already provided by the existing simple groupings.
ZZTRaider is offline   #12 Reply With Quote