Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - 4th Edition
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

l8knight

Old March 19th, 2012, 10:02 AM
First, I know this is the Hero Lab forums, but not sure where the problem is so I'm trying from both sides.

I create some NPCs in Hero Lab, export for D20Pro, but they do not import correctly into D20Pro. Stats are altered (STR,INT,WIS, etc), languages don't import, AC isn't right, FORT/WILL/REF don't import.

I read somewhere that Powers need to be renamed to "SpecialAbilities" in order for those to import but I went with the other work-around which is to just input those manually on the D20pro side. Having all this stuff not import though is making me question why I bought Hero Lab I thought it would be a much better way for me to create characters and monsters for use in D20Pro.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong or D20Pro needs to fix something on their end?

Quote:
Imported from Hero Lab(4e) on Mar 19, 2012

Speed: 6

Importer Error Log:
Unable to find strategy for domain: languages
Unable to find strategy for domain: languages
Error Adding attack for: Basic Melee
Damage of: -+3
Error Adding attack for: Basic Ranged
Damage of:
l8knight is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 21st, 2012, 03:13 PM
I think this is a question for the d20pro guys - you can find them at http://www.d20pro.com/ . They should be able to give you the details to get 4e importing working.

Hope this helps!
Colen is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
l8knight

Old March 21st, 2012, 04:50 PM
Actually I did talk to them also and they're saying some changes need to be made to the export in Hero Lab (see below):

Quote:
Thanks for bringing this up to our attention. There are some errors that need to be fixed in the herolab 4e export tool in herolab. Here is what I've found that needs work. I'll pass on the information. (and I'm still downloading 4e info for hero lab)

Current Importer Errors:

Armor Class - misc bonus not added

Code: Select all
<defense id="defAC" name="Armor Class"><keyvalue id="Misc" name="Misc Bonus" value="10"/></defense>

No strategy for languages

<languages><keyvalue id="lanDwarven" name="Dwarven"/><keyvalue id="lanElven" name="Elven"/></languages>

Basic Melee

<power name="Basic Melee" usage="At-Will" weapon="Longsword" attackvalue="6" attackmod="0" attackstat="Strength" damage="-+3" damagemod="0" damagestat="Strength" damagetype="" defense="Armor Class"/>

Basic Ranged

<power name="Basic Ranged" usage="At-Will" weapon="none" attackvalue="0" attackmod="0" attackstat="Dexterity" damage="" damagemod="0" damagestat="Dexterity" damagetype="" defense="Armor Class"/>

Shows up as:
Curtis
I've tried different things but the same fields always seem to have this problem. Speed and Description also don't go to their appropriate fields in D20Pro. Just frustrating as I've spent many days now trying to get this working instead of getting the campaigns ready
l8knight is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
TehBagder

Old March 21st, 2012, 05:33 PM
I've just exported some stuff from Hero Lab to d20Pro, and it works fine for me (apart from having to rename the exported file to remove the additional .* in the name). I'm guessing that this is for Pathfinder? Have you made sure you have the most up to date class.txt, spells.txt, feats.txt etc files in the campaign folder?
TehBagder is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
l8knight

Old March 21st, 2012, 07:23 PM
No, this is for D&D 4e. I have downloaded the lastest export from DDI (Mar 18), I have the feats/spells/classes/Skills files for D20Pro from here (http://help.mindgene.com/advanced/other-rulesets/4e-d-d) and I'm running Hero Lab v3.9b.
I can successfully import DDI characters into D20Pro but when I'm doing Monsters/NPCs created in Hero Lab I am unable to successfully import all the fields.
I've attached my export, renamed to .txt and the image removed to reduce size.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Dagult_Neverember.txt (6.4 KB, 5 views)
l8knight is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
TehBagder

Old March 21st, 2012, 07:39 PM
Hmm. That is strange. I can verify that I have the same problem with this file. I'm going to build a 4e character in my HL and export it and see if I get the same problem.
TehBagder is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
TehBagder

Old March 21st, 2012, 08:04 PM
Some interesting results here from me making a character and attempting to load it into d20Pro from HL.

If you have weapons for the character, you need to add them to the attack types under SPECIAL in HL. If you don't select a weapon there, the attacks, including any attacks that are based upon a weapon will not be imported properly and you'll end up with an imported character with broken attacks. They'll be listed in the Attacks in d20Pro, but it won't have the proper values. Unarmed Strikes don't seem to import at all. Powers that are attacks imported correctly for me.

I've attached my 4e files for d20Pro here if you want to try it with them, as a zip of the Manually Specific folder.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ManuallySpecified.zip (74.5 KB, 1 views)
TehBagder is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
l8knight

Old March 21st, 2012, 08:21 PM
Are you doing NPCs or PCs? I'm trying with NPCs. If you notice from the file I sent, this is Dagult Neverember from the Neverwinter Campaign Setting.
He has boosted stats like STR: 17 (+6), but the +6 becomes a +3 (which it should based on the Stat). I'm guessing this is more a D20Pro issue.
BUT, the AC, Speed, Languages, Description not being properly imported has me scratching my head.
I've pulled your zip and will try again with that and see if the results are different.

Thanks for your attention to this, your help is much appreciated.
l8knight is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
TehBagder

Old March 21st, 2012, 08:31 PM
I made a PC, but I'll try an NPC. Will be tomorrow though before I can try. Been a long day and I need ugly sleep.
TehBagder is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
l8knight

Old March 21st, 2012, 08:55 PM
I'm headed to bed myself. I tried with your files, results are the same:

So I think I have that set as you described.

After import, you can see the AC is 13 but I had it set for 23. Initiative is not set, Speed is incorrect, stat bonuses, etc.

Frustrating
l8knight is offline   #10 Reply With Quote