Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

zandraxon

Old December 26th, 2018, 01:19 PM
Maybe someone could chime in on this...?

My desktop at home is where I do all my campaign work as well as run my game. 1st weekend in January our group rents a hotel with a suite and games for 48 hours. I use my laptop for that.

Desktop Win10 64bit
Laptop Win7 32bit

Now that I've already made a bunch of additions to the Realm while preping for next weekend, I realize I might have made a mistake. Can I access my realm that is now modified at 64bit on my 32bit laptop running an older version? Scared to try it and destroy years of work. Any thoughts or suggestions?

TIA... Rob
zandraxon is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old December 26th, 2018, 01:29 PM
Upgrade your lappie to a 64 bit version of Windows. Unless the laptop really is more than a decade old it can run a 64 bit os.

Otherwise you're stuck. Your only other option is revert to a version of your db before you upgraded, losing all your changes, and reinstall the 32 bit version on your desktop until after your gaming weekend.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 26th, 2018, 04:31 PM
I'm fairly sure that the installer will give you either the 32 or 64 bit version of Realm Works; rather than it becoming a 64-bit only application.

See "There is now full support for running as a 64-bit application. If your computer supports 64-bits, the product will automatically run in 64-bit." in http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....46&postcount=2

As evidenced by post #3 in that thread, where it says "The 64-bit build of Realm Works no longer displays a warning when importing an image larger than 4096 x 3072 pixels. This warning only applies to 32-bit Realm Works, which still shows the warning."

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal

Last edited by Farling; December 26th, 2018 at 04:34 PM.
Farling is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old December 26th, 2018, 05:04 PM
249 works fine on my 32-bit Windows 10 tablet. You shouldn't have any new problems with using it on your laptop unless you've added some giant bitmaps.

Parody is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old December 27th, 2018, 05:58 AM
I think the OP's question is more ... in a mixed environment of some PCs being 32-bit and some 64-bit, is the data usable on both, or does an upgrade of one require an upgrade of all?

The answer is probably "the data is transparent", but the OP won't know until it is tested.

A big reason why I suspect that it is transparent is that the intent of RealmWorks is for Players to view the data on their own PCs, and LWD has no way of knowing when or if a Player will update his/her PC to 64-bit if it was 32-bit.. and forcing the Player to upgrade the PC just because the GM upgraded RealmWorks to 64-bit would be a really bad approach.
Silveras is online now   #5 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old December 27th, 2018, 06:12 AM
I use it between my two systems (one 64-bit, one 32-bit) by syncing through the server, FWIW.

Parody is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old December 27th, 2018, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
I use it between my two systems (one 64-bit, one 32-bit) by syncing through the server, FWIW.
Unless I am mis-reading it, the OP's question is "Is it ok to have 32-bit and 64-bit machines synced through the server, or did I screw myself over by upgrading one to 64-bit?"

So yours seems to be the answer he was looking for.. it works.

On the other hand, if the 64-bit machine is running ver 248 or ver 249 and the 32-bit machine is running ver 245 .. that remains unknown if it works. While trying to roll back the upgrade, the db on one machine had been adjusted to ver 248 and could no longer be used with ver 245. I don't know that that passes through the server -- I expect it won't, or the scenario I mentioned above would happen with players.

See, there's really 2 issues... 32-bit vs 64-bit, and "old" (ver 245) db structures vs "new" (ver 248 / 249),
Silveras is online now   #7 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old December 27th, 2018, 12:43 PM
There should be no issue to use 32 and 64 bit version on different machines if the version of the application is the same.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
BubbaDave

Old December 30th, 2018, 01:01 PM
Heck, if I knew I were running for 48 hours in a hotel, I'd just pack the desktop and run it from that.
BubbaDave is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old December 30th, 2018, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaDave View Post
Heck, if I knew I were running for 48 hours in a hotel, I'd just pack the desktop and run it from that.
Unless there's a plane involved....

Gary
Assistant Calendar Champion (retired)

GM: D&D 3.5 homegrown Local/Small Scale campaign
GMing blog: http://www.undiscoveredworlds.com
weogarth is offline   #10 Reply With Quote