Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

King Chicken

Old September 30th, 2015, 06:00 PM
I have searched the forums for an answer to this, and I have decided it's either such a bad idea no one has tried it, or it's so simple I have overlooked it.

I am trying to create a custom category for my D&D 5e monsters. I want to place their attributes in a table. You know, the standard 6 prime attributes. So whenever I create a snippet in the category, I select a text snippet and try and paste in a table I created in the mechanics reference. The table coding is stripped and all I end up with is:
STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA

A workaround I've figured out is I can create it once, add the table after I create it in the Mechanics reference, and then duplicate it until I'm blue in the face. Down side of this, besides duplicating, is that if I were to simply revise all the categories for my Monster Manual data entry-fest, then most of my work would simply move to a placeholder entry and easily be moved where it needed to be. If i duplicate I'll be going back and forth between two tabs, and that's just a pain in the ar$e.

Small edit: reading this before I post, I realize a small workaround would be to create the Category (without the table), revise my entries and then simply add the table over and over again. Inelegant but more efficient.

Has anyone got any ideas of how to code/input a table into a default custom category in the Manage>Custom Category> Article Category menus?

Last edited by King Chicken; October 1st, 2015 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Trying to add an example
King Chicken is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old October 1st, 2015, 11:20 AM
Category definitions can't have default contents for Text Snippets. (IIRC, only Tag Snippets have default contents; no other current Snippet type has a spot for defaults.)

If you want a template that includes formatted text, tables, or other such items then you need to make a Topic/Article using that Category and create your template items there. Once you're done, duplicate the template when you want a new Topic/Article of that type.

Aside: You should be able to copy/paste tables between Text Snippets in actual Topics/Articles. It worked in my quick test.

I think I'm restating what you've already discovered, but hopefully it helps anyway.

Last edited by Parody; October 1st, 2015 at 11:37 AM.
Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
King Chicken

Old October 3rd, 2015, 07:45 AM
Unfortunate. I was hoping the custom category could be fully realized prior to actual data entry. That said, using the "almost there" category and dropping in a pre-made table from another saved snippet doesn't take much time at all. Test run proved to be workable. Thanks for the response.
King Chicken is offline   #3 Reply With Quote