Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Viking2054

Old October 10th, 2015, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
But that's part of the fun!

Though, I do agree, it will be cool when it is possible.
It was fun when I was in my 20's and I had several friends that wanted to get together in order to paint miniatures. Some old D6 Star Wars miniatures I still have from way back turned out pretty nice, but not so much the fantasy ones I tried to paint. After a couple years of painting miniatures on and off, I gave up.

I'd much rather purchase painted plastic miniatures. Although once color 3D printers become available, I'd be happy to buy the model file and maybe define the color scheme myself (skin color, hair color, eye color, clothing color, etc.). Provided those colors can be changed easily and quickly.
Viking2054 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old October 10th, 2015, 07:53 PM
In high school I was good enough to win some competitions at my local game store, though I seem to have lost much of my knowledge and dexterity. Also, I think that miniature painting for RPG has gotten much more professional, I doubt I would win competitions if I had started now.

I don't know that I will take the time and spend the money to try to get to the skill level that I see in the Gale Force 9 videos, but even half-decent painted mini makes a difference at the table.

What a 3D printer will allow me to do, is print, say 50 zombies. Maybe 10 each of 5 posed. Then I would bulk spray the base coat on all of them. Then bulk painting additional layers, bulk applying the wash, etc.

I love metal minis and will still buy some for characters, bosses, or just the occasional unique model. But it is prohibively expensive to try to build large groups of similar monsters that way, even with Bone's mini's, it is too expensive. Also when spending money on an expensive mini, I'm afraid to mess up the paint job. With a 3D printer, I can take more risks because I can always print another. Also, beside saving money on the minis, by being able to paint in bulk, I get more efficient use out of my paints, further saving money.

If/when 3-D printers can also apply highly detailed paint jobs, I still think that I may still paint them. The imperfections and small variance add character to the minis. Then again, I suppose you could program some randomness into the paint jobs.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old October 10th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Sadly, you just can't use metal minis with unknown players nowadays. Too many folks have never seen a metal mini before, and they will pick them up and throw them around like a plastic mini. Ruined paint jobs or broken parts are too likely.

It's funny that the prepainted plastic minis are the ones that are almost completely immune to damage. (Unfortunate, but funny. :(

Parody is online now   #13 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old October 10th, 2015, 10:41 PM
I guess that's a benefit of my cheap homemade pogs made from images printed on card stock, punched out, and glued to 1" wood and metal blanks.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #14 Reply With Quote