Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 10th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Just to raise this old specter again, hopefully in time to get things fixed before the latest Beta version goes live.....

This time I'm attaching a PDF to demonstrate, please read the Notes on each power.

I've included a thrown weapon as it has special rules and is doing the calculation correctly and I like how the information is shown on the sheet.

Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Range Display.pdf (141.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; September 10th, 2010 at 09:19 AM.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old September 10th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I resubmitted the .user file seen on the second page to Colen, and he said that there's a good chance of it making it in (as well as the code to make the areas account for increased and decreased area feats). Contrary to your proposed sheet, though, it shows the maximum range of (2) to be 500 ft as per Ultimate Power's description of what Improved Range and Progression (Increased Range) do. Similarly, it shows for (3) that there's a maximum range of 2500 ft. I don't remember if I have it showing the multiupler as well.

Increased Range increases the maximum range independent of range increments attained by Improved Range, which fits with your July 3rd posting, but not your most recent PDF sheet.
Duggan is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old September 10th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
I resubmitted the .user file seen on the second page to Colen, and he said that there's a good chance of it making it in (as well as the code to make the areas account for increased and decreased area feats). Contrary to your proposed sheet, though, it shows the maximum range of (2) to be 500 ft as per Ultimate Power's description of what Improved Range and Progression (Increased Range) do. Similarly, it shows for (3) that there's a maximum range of 2500 ft. I don't remember if I have it showing the multiupler as well.

Increased Range increases the maximum range independent of range increments attained by Improved Range, which fits with your July 3rd posting, but not your most recent PDF sheet.
You know, pages 13 & 94 of U.P. clearly spell out that the two types of range modification DO NOT interlock and yet that is so counter-intuitive that my brain just refuses to let that stick. LOL

Thanks Duggan for the reminder.

I still think it's important to display on the sheet & screen BOTH the range increment AND the maximum range of a power.

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; September 10th, 2010 at 12:49 PM.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old September 10th, 2010, 08:06 PM
^_^ One increases maximum range. The other increases the size of increments for accuracy. Simple enough...

Ah. Well, my fix only shows the maximum range when Progression (Range) is added. And it still adds the wrong addendum on output, the 250 ft when Progression (Range) is added. But that's something inherent to Ranged attacks, so I can't fix that yet.

Colen? Any chance we could fix it up to always show a range increment/maximum range? It would mean removing my fix and instead making the changes within the Ranged text display.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Range Example.pdf (138.8 KB, 3 views)
Duggan is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old September 10th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
^_^ One increases maximum range. The other increases the size of increments for accuracy. Simple enough...

Ah. Well, my fix only shows the maximum range when Progression (Range) is added. And it still adds the wrong addendum on output, the 250 ft when Progression (Range) is added. But that's something inherent to Ranged attacks, so I can't fix that yet.

Colen? Any chance we could fix it up to always show a range increment/maximum range? It would mean removing my fix and instead making the changes within the Ranged text display.
I know they each affect a differnt aspect of range, , it's just that one should impact the other....nested mathematics and all that.

I see you have Progress, Increased Range 2 (max range x5 [2500]). Max range is normally "rank x 100" (U.P. page 13) so two steps up the Time & Prog Chart would make max range "rank x 500". I mean, I know you're saying it's five times the "normal" max range for a rank 5 Blast but don't you think it would add clarity to use "rank x 250 [1250]" or "rank x 500 [2500]" or "rank x 1000 [5000]" and thus be consistent with the text in book & the Feat's description?

I still think the notation used when a power is "thrown" might be the way to go, in the name of consistency, for all powers: (Range: 100 ft., incr 20 ft.) with the nuts & bolts of how it's arrived at being annotated with the relevant Power Feat/Extra/Flaw/Drawback.

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; September 10th, 2010 at 09:37 PM.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #25 Reply With Quote