Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

KiwiBlaze

Old January 21st, 2019, 09:49 PM
Is there a way, or any plans to add the ability to link to individual Snippets or to Section Headers?

I've searched here for information but no titles seem to indicate this, nor the guides. So just wondering.
KiwiBlaze is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old January 21st, 2019, 10:32 PM
It's not possible at present.

Here's a couple other threads asking for this: Link Within Article, Granular Links

Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old January 25th, 2019, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiBlaze View Post
Is there a way, or any plans to add the ability to link to individual Snippets or to Section Headers?
I asked about it here and Bidmaron asked about it here.

I still think it's a great idea. Right now a link goes only to the Article. If the Article is extensive, you have to scroll down to find the information you want. If we could place an Anchor, similar to the ones in HTML, either to the snippet or the Topic would be a huge benefit.
ruhar is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 26th, 2019, 05:19 AM
There's still no way to do it without giving the target a name since the RW linker works on names. Once you're giving the target a name just create a new topic/article.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old January 27th, 2019, 04:08 PM
That is wrong kbs. That is like saying you cannot do it on the web because it works with urls and the first urls couldn’t link to a target on a page. It would just be the same kind of thing, where you add a key character after the main link and that refers to the snippet (e.g Aralith#lineage connects to the lineage snippet of Aralith). You could even have it so that the default entry point to an article would be lineage or some other snippet that shows at the top of the tab window when opened. It would require a change but for a database to be able to link to a field within another record is a fairly basic concept.
Bidmaron is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 27th, 2019, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
That is wrong kbs. That is like saying you cannot do it on the web because it works with urls and the first urls couldn’t link to a target on a page. It would just be the same kind of thing, where you add a key character after the main link and that refers to the snippet (e.g Aralith#lineage connects to the lineage snippet of Aralith). You could even have it so that the default entry point to an article would be lineage or some other snippet that shows at the top of the tab window when opened. It would require a change but for a database to be able to link to a field within another record is a fairly basic concept.
We've had this discussion before the RW linker works on names. Even in HTML linking is based on names it's just names that are more clear to a computer than to people. A URI means a Uniform Resource Identifier and that just means a unique name for something so the internet can find it when you ask for it.

So to link something you have to give it a name. Once you give it a name why not just give it its own topic/article?

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old January 28th, 2019, 03:07 AM
Kbs, the name parser could look for the key character and use the current name linked to navigate to the topic and then use the after-key-character portion to scroll the window to the desired location. It would be relatively easy to do. Just because we had this discussion before doesn’t mean you were right there either. I just don’t have the energy to argue with someone like you who always believes they know the right answer. So please let’s drop this here and you can allow that perhaps there is another individual on the planet who might know something that you do not.
Bidmaron is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 28th, 2019, 05:55 AM
WTH is a key character? You seem to just invent new things on the fly to get around problems that you don't understand.

In HTML the way you do what you want is to mark the target with an anchor tag like this
< a name="target1" > then you link to it by adding target1 to the href like so http: //thispage . com# target1

Doing something like this in RW would require a huge change to the linker, as I've told you at least twice now as the linker simply works on single unique names. Also as I've also pointed out to you at least twice now once you're giving the target of the link a name why aren't you just separating it into a new topic/article.

RW just isn't built for what you want and there is an incredibly simple solution.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 28th, 2019, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhar View Post
If the Article is extensive, you have to scroll down to find the information you want.
I think that Realm Works prefers relatively small articles, so if you have a lot of information about a particular subject it is best to split it up amongst several separate (but linked) RW articles.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #9 Reply With Quote