Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

SeeleyOne

Old September 22nd, 2013, 03:38 PM
In the Configure Hero menu there is an option to switch around the overall Firearms Availability level. This is an actual rule in the books.

What I was wondering is what sort of coding it uses. I think that a similar thing could be done for the cost of magical enchantments, where "Enchantments Everywhere" would have them at 10% cost. Or at least I think that is what commonplace firearms does.

So, to add such a mechanic it would be really great if I could have enough of the source coding to modify for this. Or is it not so simple, that firearms prices are built into its own function? (whereas enchantment costs is not?)

At any rate is simple to do manually (as you can enter your own prices), but it would be more convenient if it could be made to do it for us. A campaign with less magic could cost even more.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 22nd, 2013, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeleyOne View Post
In the Configure Hero menu there is an option to switch around the overall Firearms Availability level. This is an actual rule in the books.

What I was wondering is what sort of coding it uses. I think that a similar thing could be done for the cost of magical enchantments, where "Enchantments Everywhere" would have them at 10% cost. Or at least I think that is what commonplace firearms does.

So, to add such a mechanic it would be really great if I could have enough of the source coding to modify for this. Or is it not so simple, that firearms prices are built into its own function? (whereas enchantment costs is not?)

At any rate is simple to do manually (as you can enter your own prices), but it would be more convenient if it could be made to do it for us. A campaign with less magic could cost even more.
Are you using the Settlement rules in the Gamemastery Guide?

The rules there explicitly tell you the availability of magic goods / services available based on settlement size. They even tell you the maximum spell casting level to be founding the settlement.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old September 22nd, 2013, 06:15 PM
@SeeleyOne from what I have seen that coding for firerams was special built in the skeletal tables which we as users have no access too. I don't think their is any way to do scripts to affect costs actually.

I think your only option is to set the a cheaper cost at the time your purchasing.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old September 22nd, 2013, 06:53 PM
Thanks to both of you.

I was not aware of that being in the Game Mastery guide. I am currently a player, and I have not taken the role of GM yet. I will have to start looking that book over; I had already bought the pdf but I had not gotten to reading it. I have read the majority of tne Core book and I am on page 209 of the Inner Sea World Guide.

I was figuring that it is likely something that is not so easy to fix. Firearms are a very specific case.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old September 22nd, 2013, 07:59 PM
The problem with the "Enchantments Everywhere" feature you'd like, is that it's not an official rule in Ult. Combat. Firearms have the ability to alter the power level of campaign, while magic is common. When you're building a magic item, if you want to drop the price to 10% of the listed cost, just look at the price and move the decimal over to the left one place. Put the new price in and hit ok.

What you're asking for would be a personal house rule not included in the standard books. I believe you'd have to put this request in under the official "Feature Requests" thread.

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old September 22nd, 2013, 08:33 PM
Yeah, I will just slide it over a decimal place. At first I thought that it might be a simple mechanic to add (I would do it myself), but there is a lot going on that we users cannot see. In most cases that is a good thing, but I would have been willing to do the work. I think programming is fun.

SeeleyOne is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old September 22nd, 2013, 11:41 PM
Quote:
Yeah, I will just slide it over a decimal place. At first I thought that it might be a simple mechanic to add (I would do it myself), but there is a lot going on that we users cannot see. In most cases that is a good thing, but I would have been willing to do the work. I think programming is fun.
For every line of code we see working, the compiler runs over ten times that amount. The chooser for guns everywhere itself was probably lose to 100 lines of code by itself, not including all the mechanical components that make the price changes. I'm not sure it would be a simple script to accomplish, to be honest.

RavenX is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:48 AM
The Firearms Availability settings are quite intricate and I don't think users could accomplish something similar from the outside. For example, they touch upon how proficiencies are granted, as well as the purchasing mechanics. So unfortunately, I think this is probably not something do-able in a general way. Fortunately, as others have said, it is relatively easy to choose what price you'd like to pay for something. Hope that clarifies things a little bit.
Aaron is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ChrisRevocateur

Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:57 AM
Quote:

So are you trying to do the suggested formulas for low and high magic campaigns? Those formulas don't alter the cost of items, but the amount of money a character gets per encounter, and thus the wealth by level tables, so to represent that, you would give characters the modified amount of cash for their level (either more cash for high magic, or less cash for low magic).
ChrisRevocateur is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:49 AM
No, I thought of it before considering the different locations. I saw the Guns thing and thought "what if that applied to magic instead?". I have seen many people write settings and say that it is "high magic" or "low magic". In a setting where magical items are more commonplace they would probably cost less (probably, because commonplace does not necessarily mean inexpensive).

SeeleyOne is offline   #10 Reply With Quote