Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

darcy.mulder

Old May 6th, 2019, 11:11 PM
Hi everyone,

I've had RW/HL for a few years, but mainly have used HL for my PCs. I'm running a campaign with monsters primarily from the monsteraday subreddit (keeping it fresh for my seasoned players!), and am having difficulty figuring out how to input some of the info - I've watched a few youtube videos but I've other missed the steps completely or the things I want to do aren't included in the videos.

The main issue I have is entering custom attacks and actions. For custom attacks, I cannot figure out how to add secondary types of damage. For example, taken from the Joythief https://www.reddit.com/r/monsteraday...y_92_joythief/

Rosethorn Dagger. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (3d4 + 3) piercing damage plus 7 (2d6) poison damage.

I can get the attack in (under natural attack). In this area I don't see an option to input reach, damage type or secondary damage. If I try to enter it under other race abilities -> location section action, I don't even see options for the to hit, damage etc.

For custom actions, I have similar issues.

Drain Emotions. The joythief targets one living creature it can see within 10 feet of it that has a Charisma of 3 or higher. The target must succeed on a DC 16 Charisma saving throw against this magic or take 27 (5d10) psychic damage. Also on a failure, roll 3d6: If the total equals or exceeds the target's Charisma score, that score is reduced to 0. The target is stunned until it regains at least one point of Charisma.

For this action, I've found that other race abilities -> location section action is the 'best' spot, but this doesn't provide space to input what type of saving throw it is, or the damage (failed or saved damage).

If anyone can point me towards some detailed resources to learn how to get these custom monsters input I'd really appreciate it! I'm keen to learn the ins and outs of these pieces of software, but I'm not sure I'm up for the learning curve of coding with the Hero Lab Editor - if that's what's needed for the level of detail that I want then I'm willing to give it a try too.
darcy.mulder is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old May 7th, 2019, 10:38 AM
When you're using the Custom Monster dialogue, not every field is available. Reach is one of those. You'll also find that damage type is one of them if you've tried to use "Other melee natural attack".

You should have a field for the extra damage though. When I create a Natural Attack (and choose Kick for instance),there are two text fields at the top, one is for the custom name and the other is for extra damage. For your example all I would do is type in (without the quotes):
"plus 7 (2d6) poison"

When I look at a statblock it looks correct.

The special ability has the same issue with the ability required for the receiving end of the saving throw missing in that Custom Monster dialogue.

That's why eventually everyone tries to learn a little about the editor. There are several resources you can look at (like the community wiki), but a lot of learning is just by copying something that works already and just changing the name where you need to. The attack and special ability look like others the community has done, like looking at a spider's bite for the poison extra damage or a breath weapon for the save DCs.
dungeonguru is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old May 7th, 2019, 05:10 PM
Not being able to set reach is a commonly reoccurring annoyance. I just make a not at the front of the description.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #3 Reply With Quote