Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

MagicSN

Old March 29th, 2015, 07:59 AM
Hello!

Since I recently updated to Hero Lab 6.2b (before I used 5.3) my D&D Next implementation claims "I would have to update this game system". If I decline the request to update it fails to load, if I say "yes" it (obviously) says it cannot find an update online.

The source of the problem I found in definitions.def, where up to now I had

<structure
folder="next">
</structure>

This worked up to now (Hero Lab 5.3). As a workaround I changed this to

<structure
folder="4e">
</structure>

Then my Game System works again (with the disadvantage that on loading it thinks it is the 4e Game System and asks me on Startup if I want to update
my datafiles now. If I press "no" my game system works perfectly, but it is a bit annoying having to press "No" on a requestor on every start of Hero Lab.

What is the correct value for structure folder for a "custom" game using Hero Lab 6.2b?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Steffen Häuser
MagicSN is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
MagicSN

Old March 29th, 2015, 08:01 AM
Update: Found the answer to my own question. Inserting "sample" seems to work without requestor ;-)
MagicSN is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 29th, 2015, 10:25 AM
If your data is in ProgramData/Hero Lab/data/next, then that's what your folder="" should point to. I don't recommend re-using one of Hero Lab's own folder names.

Do you have something set up to allow you to get automatic updates of these files? If so, compare the version number that's recorded in that update to the version number that's in the <release> section of definition.def.
Mathias is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
MagicSN

Old March 30th, 2015, 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
If your data is in ProgramData/Hero Lab/data/next, then that's what your folder="" should point to. I don't recommend re-using one of Hero Lab's own folder names.
Thats what I originally did, but with 6.2b this seems no longer to work.

stub.cfg says this:

<structure folder="next"/>

definitions.def this:

<structure
folder="next">
</structure>

and this fails. If I change the one in definitions.def to sample or 4e the Data Files work fine (the stub.cfg can stay as it is).

And as mentioned above, with HL 5.3 or lower I could use structure folder next and it would not claim the data files would "need to be updated".

Quote:
Do you have something set up to allow you to get automatic updates of these files? If so, compare the version number that's recorded in that update to the version number that's in the <release> section of definition.def.
No automatic updates as these data files due to the licence situation cannot be distributed and are my "private" implementation right now.

The "release" section version info in stub.cfg and definitions.dat matches. (major=5,minor=1,required=4.0b)

Best regards,
Steffen Haeuser
MagicSN is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 30th, 2015, 08:07 AM
Something as core as how Hero Lab deals with any of the elements in definition.def is not something we would change lightly, and I am not aware of any changes that have been made to that recently. Something else is going on here. When you're on the game system chooser form, and you click "Find Updates". Is there anything set up in "Add Source"?
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MagicSN

Old March 30th, 2015, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Something as core as how Hero Lab deals with any of the elements in definition.def is not something we would change lightly, and I am not aware of any changes that have been made to that recently. Something else is going on here. When you're on the game system chooser form, and you click "Find Updates". Is there anything set up in "Add Source"?
No, there isn't. Only checked this with my main PC where I did not yet update to 6.2b though, so this was with 5.3. Will check with my laptop where I have the 6.2b later.

Thanks anyways.

Steffen Häuser
MagicSN is offline   #6 Reply With Quote