Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - 4th Edition
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

nekoshonenbutler

Old February 20th, 2016, 09:51 PM
So, I'm no computer wiz. I know a few things, but not enough to apparently fix this colossal issue I'm having.

Another thing: I spent 20 dollars on this. I need it to work.

Quote:
The data files could not be loaded due to the following errors:

Syntax error in 'finalize' script for Field 'sklTrained' on line 9
-> Error in right-side expression of assignment
That's the error I get. I have read four separate threads on this forum about this problem, and either the problems were not stated to have been resolved, or the resolution occurred but no explanation of HOW it occurred is posted.

This is a massive problem. You cannot sell a product that does not work and then expect me to fix it without adequate tools to do so.

In conclusion, I need someone to either refund my purchase of a faulty product, or help me to get it working. I will post this every single day to this forum until one of these two things happens.
nekoshonenbutler is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old February 22nd, 2016, 07:01 PM
I believe if you check, they technically don't sell the 4e datafile; they sell the Authoring Kit and the 4e files are a community file set that you can access with it. But they aren't what you're really paying for.
Paragon is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old February 22nd, 2016, 08:57 PM
More importantly:

1) Lone Wolf is happy to issue refunds to people who are disappointed in the product.

2) Since 4e is a fan project instead of an official one, any support you get is going to be from other users. There don't seem to be a lot of us around, but there are a few.

This appears to be some sort of configuration problem that doesn't come up a lot; I'm in the same game as Paragon and none of the six PCs running Hero Lab with 4e in the group are having it, so more information would be useful. What's your setup like, and what have you tried so far?

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
nekoshonenbutler

Old February 24th, 2016, 08:17 PM
I'm running off of my laptop, and I've tried deleting the 4e directory and reinstalling the module, then updating it in several different combinations of what happens when, and lastly I scoured my pc with CCleaner of ALL Herolab files and did a fresh install, and the same error came up.

What other info would you like me to give you? I'm happy to provide it if it will make my 20 dollar sink into a worthwhile purchase.
nekoshonenbutler is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old February 26th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Hello nekoshonenbutler,
First off I am not a programmer but let me see if I can help. (Cross your fingers this may be rough)
If you purchased HL and picked up 4E and Savage worlds with the authoring kit. Let me ask have you open Savage Worlds (SW from here out Does that load with out error?

Next is then you must only get the error in 4E, there is an independent group that run/updates and attempts to maintain the 4E files now. The link is here http://hl4e.cryptoknight.org/index.php they/we have some updates and fixes to the HL files that may help you out.

So once you have a clean install then you can update from them. If you do not have a DDI subscription to pull down the data <I cant remember> you may need to get it for the data files.

Side Note; HL is an outstanding program but it is very frustrating when things, especially tech, does not work. Contact support (they are a small company and it may take a few business days to reply) but they will help you as well.

SAbel
SAbel is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old February 27th, 2016, 09:33 PM
I'm pretty sure the files downloaded through Hero Lab for 4e are the same as the newest ones on Cryptoknight's site.

When you've cleared absolutely everything out and reinstalled and an error other people aren't getting persists, the best I can think of is that there's some sort of corruption in the file system of the OS or a really bizarre memory error.

This is Windows, right? Which version? Can you boot into Safe Mode and see if you get the error then?

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #6 Reply With Quote