Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

tpkurilla

Old June 6th, 2020, 10:52 AM
I have recently started using HL for creating my group's SW characters.

There are elements from each edition that represent how we play. For example, we prefer using experience points, so currently we're shoehorned into Deluxe rather than SWADE. Another example is Ambidextrous Edge has more description (and utility) in SWADE. I see no way to enable SWADE items in the "default", nor any of the "default" items in SWADE.

But SWADE has a lot going for it. My first inclination is to copy the SWADE files, and change the source to something else that I can select in the configure hero selection tree. Obviously there are significant pieces that would not need to be duplicated, but it would be a single edit.

But the source is incomplete. It appears to only have the "default" SW implementation in it.

I do not relish the thought of hand-jamming all of the SWADE Edges into "default", but I see little choice since adding experience points to SWADE seems a bit overwhelming.

Any suggestions?
tpkurilla is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 6th, 2020, 11:22 AM
SWADE and Deluxe are incompatible on too many levels for this to work in a wholesale fashion.

The XP/Advance thing is one way or the other. There's no simple way to move between them.

Making your own version of Ambidextrous is easy.

The SWADE Encumbrance rules are completely different.

I have included the ability to keep the Knowledge Skill in SWADE. What else do we want to try to have the ability to cross over?

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Fantasy Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
tpkurilla

Old June 6th, 2020, 12:00 PM
I am less worried about "mechanics" things (other than experience points), than being able to choose the "updated" Edges and Hindrances (for those that have changed their descriptions).

I realize that it is relatively easy to create each by hand in XML (the editor has always had a fairly arcane interface). It would, of course, be easier to simply create a copy of the SWADE version, and put it in a separate .user file with a changed source.

If it isn't possible to get the source, then I'll have to do it manually.

If there were some sort of "pool" item we could define in SWADE to track our XP, then as "smart" humans know to do an Advance at the appropriate time, that would be completely suitable.
tpkurilla is offline   #3 Reply With Quote