Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Closed Thread

ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 10th, 2016, 02:05 PM
Well hopefully that got everyone's attention!

A new feature has been added to the HL binary program that I will be making use of in the next release. The good news is that the requirement to have all these different "Packs" because of official license issues is no more! This means moving forward all the packs will simply become a single download called the "Pathfinder Pack". This is same as what the d20 and 5E communities have already.

So what happens if you don't have a specific license? HL will give you a nice warning message about the missing Thing (ie a feat or spell or class ability) but the rest of the class or race will function normally. This means I don't need different Packs anymore and everything can become ONE SINGLE Pack!

This will make install issues a thing of the past. Saving me time in getting a release out the door and support hours spent helping those with license and Pack install issues. Saving time is a wonderful thing!

Now the bad news. Yes always a bad news. No automatic method exists in HL that will allow me to automatically take all the different Packs on your computer/iPad and merge them into one. Meaning it will be left as a manual step but not one that is very difficult to do but still a manual step. Once I am ready to move things over I will cover the couple required steps but basically you delete all the existing Packs and then download the new "Pathfinder Pack".

This is just a "pre-announcement" to get people ready and start spreading the word. Hopefully LW will let me do another announcement in the official news letter to make sure those that don't visit the boards are informed. I will also do a post to the Paizo forums and hopefully those here will spread word to your local gamers.

Thanks!

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #1
TheIronGolem

Old April 10th, 2016, 02:27 PM
Really looking forward to this.
TheIronGolem is offline   #2
Farling

Old April 10th, 2016, 03:48 PM
Is there any mechanism in this new method of packaging information which will keep the actual memory footprint quite low if we don't want/need everything that is in the packs (e.g. the various sets of encounters for the adventure paths and/or modules)?
Farling is offline   #3
ShadowChemosh

Old April 10th, 2016, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Is there any mechanism in this new method of packaging information which will keep the actual memory footprint quite low if we don't want/need everything that is in the packs (e.g. the various sets of encounters for the adventure paths and/or modules)?
Simply put no. You will get everything including the basic "Stock" files that are part of the GM & GM Mythic Pack. But the main "encounter" libraries are still things you individually download and that is not changing.

The download will be about 25 megs roughly in size. I mean that is still nothing compared to the size of the LW download of 165megs. The file is downloaded locally to your PC. So if the issue is installing the same Pack multiple times to different computers just go to "C:\ProgramData\Hero Lab\download" to run the installer again.

I maybe missing the "issue" so feel free to give details of why the size of the download matters?

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4
Farling

Old April 11th, 2016, 12:06 AM
I was thinking more about the iPad, or just the bloat in all the pick lists where there are items that I'll mostly not be interested (e.g. the extra items in the old GM pack which aren't in the basic pack).

Last edited by Farling; April 11th, 2016 at 12:08 AM.
Farling is offline   #5
DeltaMasterMind

Old April 11th, 2016, 07:00 AM
Good, this will make it easier to help my friends along when it comes to updates. Recently I had to assist them in the updates because they were not aware of what they needed to get. They are informed now, but should new members get the program then this will make all our lives a bit simpler.

Forum link for my content work:
Pathfinder Thread
Forum link for SU 5e content work:
5e Steven Universe Thread
This link is for my group, but feel free to play it with:
DMM 5e | "https://www.dropbox.com/s/vsd9w1eodlnwjq0/updatesDMM.xml?dl=1" Copy this link to your update manager to get updates when available.
This adds the Pisky subrace to elves from Berserk! and additional subraces for the Gem Race.
Please post comments in the provided threads above.
DeltaMasterMind is offline   #6
ShadowChemosh

Old April 11th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
I was thinking more about the iPad, or just the bloat in all the pick lists where there are items that I'll mostly not be interested (e.g. the extra items in the old GM pack which aren't in the basic pack).
Everything should be "source" marked correctly. So if you don't turn on a specific book (ie GM Options) than the new Picks/Things won't display. I have done a slight change to the layout of options in the Configure Your Hero to set things up for "Players" and then "GMs" now.

Obviously if you see Things that are showing or are not source marked please let me know as its a bug that I will fix.

The only one I am really thinking about leaving as its own thing is the Modern Pack. But it it will be SO nice to leave everything (including Modern) in the same pack for purposes of updates and releases.

Hero Lab Resources:

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; April 11th, 2016 at 11:49 AM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7
ShadowChemosh

Old April 11th, 2016, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMasterMind View Post
Good, this will make it easier to help my friends along when it comes to updates. Recently I had to assist them in the updates because they were not aware of what they needed to get. They are informed now, but should new members get the program then this will make all our lives a bit simpler.
Yep. Totally agree with this as I do like "simple" and this new feature will allow that to happen.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8
psych777

Old April 11th, 2016, 01:59 PM
wow, i can just imagine how much time this will save you, just in answering posts in the forum alone. lol
psych777 is offline   #9
ShadowChemosh

Old April 14th, 2016, 12:54 PM
Just bumping this so it does not fall off the page. Want time to let this info spread some...

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #10
Closed Thread