Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 2nd, 2017, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintain View Post
The first pick is through the Potent Pool Thing and is restricted to CasterSrc.Psionic classes.

If it is indeed random, I'm open to suggestions on how to fix. Unfortunately, I'm at a dead stop coding-wise. If I have altpick/altthing in the pre-req script, compile and then try to add the Potent Pool thing to the character, Hero Lab now crashes. I have a ticket open with LW.

Tests:

A level 5 psychic warrior (max power level 2), level 5 psion (max power level 3) and a level 10 tactician (max power level 5). I then added 3 Potent Pool things to the portfolio (Mythic Level 3). Initial pick was tactician. I never violated the rule as I coded it. If I changed the choice of things 2 and 3, I never violated the validation rule -- even if I picked psychic warrior, which can only have 2 potent pool things added. Only when I changed the 1st potent pool thing choice to psychic warrior did I violate the rule for all three things. I changed the 1st potent pool choice back to Psion and the validation exception went went away. After about 50 or so changes, I never saw where the validation rule chose anything other than basing itself off the choice of first potent pool thing.

Now, I agree that this initial method isn't the greatest. What I would like is a single thing added with a chooser, and some sort of notation on how many times it has been chosen. But how to accomplish that is a bit outside of my realm at the moment.
My only idea is to similar what we did before using a Unique bootstrapped helper ability. This "helper" Mythic Ability will be the one that chooses the class. Sense it will be "Unique Add" even if we add several Potent Pool abilities we only have one chooser.

1) Create new Potent Pool Mythic ability (Helper) thing. This has the class chooser. Then set it to Unique and give it a tag of "Helper.Helper".
1a) You can even add the points on the helper thing also. You can do an hero.tagcount[Ability.cPUMPoPool] to know how much to increase the points by.
2) Bootstrap the Helper Potent Pool to the Potent Pool mythic ability.
3) Redo your logic on cPUMPoPool to get the "class" from the Helper Potent Pool.

This way gets you a "single" class selector for a gamer to select one time. Your script is easier because you don't have to deal with multiple Potent Pools.

That is how I would handle this. I am pretty much busy this whole weekend. Give it a try and I can help next week if you have issues...

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #71 Reply With Quote
Quintain

Old June 2nd, 2017, 11:09 PM
I had thought of something similar before moving to what I have now. One thing the basic ability did not have that the class special had was having selection fields to create the drop down list. It was kind of a sticking point.
Quintain is offline   #72 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old June 3rd, 2017, 09:15 AM
Quote:
I had thought of something similar before moving to what I have now. One thing the basic ability did not have that the class special had was having selection fields to create the drop down list. It was kind of a sticking point.
The basic ability does have a dropdown but you have code it in XML not the editor. Not sure why they did that way but it will work.

In this case I would not make it a basic ability I would make it a standard Mythic Ability but the "Helper.Helper" tag will prevent it from being individually selected.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #73 Reply With Quote
Quintain

Old June 3rd, 2017, 09:29 AM
Ok, so you have a helper class special with a dropdown bootstrapped to another class special?
Quintain is offline   #74 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old June 3rd, 2017, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Ok, so you have a helper class special with a dropdown bootstrapped to another class special?
To be sure we are on same page.

Potent Pool is a Custom Class Special located in the editor as a "Class->Custom Ability". I am saying make a new "Custom Ability" called Potent Pool with an id of xPUPoPool2 and set 'Uniqueness' to Unique. Then on the "tags" button add Helper.Helper and do not set it available to any class. Bootstrap xPUPoPool2 to cPUMPoPool.

This new Custom Ability xPUPoPool2 will have the class selector and the logic for calculating the point progression.

P.S. - Sorry don't have time to work out the progression math for the point total. But you can use hero.tagcount[Ability.cPUMPoPool] to know how many times Potent Pool has been added to the hero...

Hero Lab Resources:

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; June 3rd, 2017 at 10:28 AM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #75 Reply With Quote
Quintain

Old June 3rd, 2017, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
To be sure we are on same page.

Potent Pool is a Custom Class Special located in the editor as a "Class->Custom Ability". I am saying make a new "Custom Ability" called Potent Pool with an id of xPUPoPool2 and set 'Uniqueness' to Unique. Then on the "tags" button add Helper.Helper and do not set it available to any class. Bootstrap xPUPoPool2 to cPUMPoPool.

This new Custom Ability xPUPoPool2 will have the class selector and the logic for calculating the point progression.

P.S. - Sorry don't have time to work out the progression math for the point total. But you can use hero.tagcount[Ability.cPUMPoPool] to know how many times Potent Pool has been added to the hero...
I follow you. It's just odd that you have a custom ability that is bootstrapped to another custom ability. Mentally, I had them in a heirarchy, I guess.
Quintain is offline   #76 Reply With Quote
Quintain

Old June 3rd, 2017, 01:44 PM
Update:

I made the changes per your idea. It worked out nicely. There is only one item that allows for a chooser -- in green, below the 1st item, additional items all reference the original, and switching between classes with different maximum power level values validates or invalidates the choices.

It seems, however that the validation logic is invalidating all picks, not just the one that causes the validation failure. It still works, mind you, but is there anyway to tweak this so only the violator(s) are flagged red?
Quintain is offline   #77 Reply With Quote
Quintain

Old June 3rd, 2017, 11:23 PM
Status Update: I've implemented all the abilities that I believe can be implemented. We should be good to release at this point.
Quintain is offline   #78 Reply With Quote