Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
TheDaR

Old May 27th, 2005, 02:58 PM
In an effort to produce a viable AB3 data file set for GW's Epic Armageddon, I've been slowly setting up my definition file schemes and data model, but have run into a few small problems. I was hoping people could offer suggestions for what they've done that works in similar situations.

Since Epic uses "formations", which function more or less exactly like AB squads do (they contain multiple first-class units, whose composition usually depends on the core detachment and then some number of upgrade units that formation is allowed), I decided to use the squad feature as it will automatically count units in a formation and do other useful things. To use Space Marines as an example, a Tactical Detachment 'unit' will have 6 Tactical squads (child units), base, plus some other upgrades which also become child units (like Dreadnoughts or Vindicators). The squads can't be purchased independently, so they really shouldn't have a cost and min/max size of their own (as a unit can potentially be added either as a core formation or a formation upgrade, with different costs and unit max/mins). But a child link only allows me to add one 'unit' worth to the detachment, when what I'd really like to do is add 6 with one option. Using a range link just makes the option appear in the option pane, without actually adding the child unit to the squad. Is there a "proper" way to set the count of a child entity this way?

Proceeding from here, certain units have the multiple option combinations. Pretty easy, really, for most of them. Simple exclusion lists work for the most part Dreadnoughts, however, present a problem. A Dread can choose either a Twin Lascannon and Missile Launcher or An Autocannon and Dreadnought Power Fist. You always get two weapons, and the pairs are not intermixable. So my thought was to give the Dreadnought unit two options, each of which linked to the two child weapon items (units, actually, in this case, as I've gone the route Flames of War did, with weapons as units, so that the various weapon stat tags can show up in seperate columns on the roster view). However, this seems to have prevented me from being able to use default selection options, remainder lists and exclusions. I'd like to have two range option boxes, one for AC&PF, one for TL&ML, and have each select both weapons at once, but also be able to have one be selected by default and have selecting some number of the other option decrease the default option, exactly like a remainder. Any ideas, or do I have to go into script-land in order to override this behavior?

Thanks for any advice,

-DaR
TheDaR is offline   #1 Reply With Quote