Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

jacook

Old April 27th, 2014, 07:00 PM
So I'm using the adventure location topic category. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience adding dungeon rooms as snippets?

Specifically, how do you handle numbering and sectioning?
jacook is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
thedarkelf007

Send a message via MSN to thedarkelf007 Send a message via Yahoo to thedarkelf007

Old April 27th, 2014, 07:04 PM
I created a dungeon topic which I uses as both the overall dungeon and for each level.

I handle numbering by giving each dungeon a unique ID "RA" for Rappan Athuk, and then then is the level number being at least 2 digits for dungeons 10-99 levels deep.

So RA-03 would be level three of Rappan Athuk where as RA-03C would be alternate level three known as c.

Then I would use each room number on the map with that as a prefix.

Room 10 would be RA-03-10.

This is how I have done it and it works well.

I also add the room encounter to the level which is added to the dungeon, so I have a hierarchy of content as well.

Does this help you at all?

Working on - SW RPG d6 or add this source Update Souce and SW RPG FFG and More FFG SW not working yet
Author of Realms Works Guides
Blog writer at thedarkelf007.home.blog/
thedarkelf007 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
jacook

Old April 27th, 2014, 07:49 PM
Yes, it does. Thanks!

Do you use a separate snippet for each room or a section? Also, which snippet type do you use for the rooms?
jacook is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
thedarkelf007

Send a message via MSN to thedarkelf007 Send a message via Yahoo to thedarkelf007

Old April 28th, 2014, 02:42 AM
Things have changed a lot from the early design of what I had done, but this is the topics I would use:

Series (Storyline)
- Adventure (Storyline)
-- Section (Storyline / Location)

Adventure Path example

Council of Thieves (Storyline)
- AP28 - Book 4: The Infernal Syndrome (Storyline)
-- AP28-2 - Part 2: Siege of the Folly (Storyline)
--- Ruined Building (Dungeon / Location)
---- Room # (Scene)
----- Jerusen (Individual)

Module example

Rappan Athuk (Storyline)
- Wilderness (Region: Geography)
-- Entrance 1 (Dungeon / Location)
-- Entrance 2 (Dungeon / Location)
-- Entrance 3 (Dungeon / Location)
--- Room # (Scene)
---- Special characters (Individual)

Is this any better

I am rebuilding some of my settings to match this as it made more sense than the origonal setup I had.

Working on - SW RPG d6 or add this source Update Souce and SW RPG FFG and More FFG SW not working yet
thedarkelf007 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 28th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Each room location is a separate topic, not just a separate snippet. This allows you to put links onto your maps.
Farling is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
taxboy

Old April 28th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Each room location is a separate topic, not just a separate snippet. This allows you to put links onto your maps.
I use the maps as a primary driver for location based stories or adventures.

Wilderness, city or location
taxboy is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
jacook

Old April 28th, 2014, 05:00 PM
This is a perfect example, thanks so much!
jacook is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
thedarkelf007

Old April 29th, 2014, 12:06 AM
And like taxboy and farling mentioned, if you have a map you can link the dungeon levels also via the map it will increase your chances of finding the right things.

With multi level dungeons, you can either have them all at the same level or chain them off the previous level by making it the parent topic.

I prefer the flat all dungeon levels are on the same level, but I understand why some would like to have them in a hierarchy.

And to top it off you can show how all the levels are connected via plots that you can add some extra notation to and works well as a high level map of the dungeon and or area.

Though plots are also great for showing the main choices for a storyline, plus planned encounters.

thedarkelf007 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old April 29th, 2014, 11:29 AM
I've got a dungeon that is a series of rooms separated by corridors.

As you can see in this sample, room 3 is connected to room 1 by corridor B, and to room 4 by corridor D.

I'm thinking that topics for both rooms and corridors, but how to represent doors? Would snippets be best?

Say...

What'cha think?

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 29th, 2014, 03:22 PM
For doors, why not just put the brief description in the flag that you can put onto the map?

I use the direct text of the map flags to show the difficulty to open locked doors.
Farling is offline   #10 Reply With Quote