Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

EightBitz

Old October 14th, 2013, 08:22 AM
I'm working from the skeleton game system, and I'm adding abilities. I'm looking for a way to set the existence or absence of an ability as a prerequisite for another ability. For example, two of the abilities I'm adding are "Attractive" and "Unattractive" (abAttr and abUnattr). Obviously, these are mutually exclusive. So if someone chooses both, they should both report as invalid.

Also, there's an "Alien" ability, and there are many other abilities for which "Alien" is a prerequisite. For example, "Extra Limb".

I've tried something like this:

Code:
<!-- Define any appropriate pre-requisites for the ability
    <exprreq iserror="yes" message="Strength 5 required."><![CDATA[#trait[abAttr] = 0]]></exprreq>
But I'm told that abAttr cannot be found. When I look at this sort of thing in Pathfinder, there's a #hastrait function, but nothing like that seems to exist in the skeleton system.

Is there a simple way to do this?
EightBitz is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 14th, 2013, 08:57 AM
I highly recommend studying the Savage Worlds Walkthrough in the authoring kit if you're going to be creating a new game system - that's a record of what was done as the skeleton files were turned into the Savage Worlds files, so you can read how a great many things were accomplished there.

http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....s_Walk-Through

Go to the "Hindrance Support" page there, then to the "Identification for Prereqs" section of that page. That's where they set up the basic mechanism behind their version of #hastrait[].

Once you've got those identity tags added, can you figure out how to test for the presence of a tag?
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old October 14th, 2013, 10:27 AM
I'll have to see. I'm not as good at learning from documentation as I am at learning from reverse engineering. I'll take what you gave me and see what I can do with it.
EightBitz is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 14th, 2013, 10:40 AM
In that case, on the link I provided, I recommend checking out the "Where to find the source" section, so that you have a more complete game system to study from than just the skeleton files themselves. For example, there are examples of similar things in the thing_edges.dat file. (Edges areSavage World's most common type of "ability").
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old October 15th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Indeed. Your link led me to the <prereq> attribute which actually did exactly what I needed.
EightBitz is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old October 15th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Sorry, I meant <pickreq>. Such as:

<pickreq ispreclude="yes" thing="abMnUnAttr"/>
EightBitz is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old October 15th, 2013, 02:17 PM
And if I want an ability to require another ability, I change the "yes" to "no".

<pickreq ispreclude="no" thing="abMnUnAttr"/>
EightBitz is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old October 15th, 2013, 02:18 PM
And if I want an ability to require another ability, I change the "yes" to "no".

<pickreq ispreclude="no" thing="abMnUnAttr"/>
EightBitz is offline   #8 Reply With Quote