Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 22nd, 2016, 09:36 PM
Excellent timing. I should be done with the Super Powers work by the end of the weekend.

I have to finish two reviews (Evernight and ETU) and then I need to finish the Interface 2.0 data file. Then, dartnet, zarlor and I need to work up the new Deadlands file.

The review of Rifts (I am in on the KS as well...) will sit in there somewhere, depending on when he gets it done, and how much different it is than the stock 2nd Edition Super Powers Companion and Sci-Fi stuff.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Fantasy Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
salcor

Old June 23rd, 2016, 07:27 PM
CapedCrusader,

For the most part the major change is the iconic frame work. The best comparison I have for it is the branches from agents of oblivion. It provides attributes, skills, abilities, hinderances, and equipment to the characters. There are also iconic edges and hinderances as well. This also leads into the heroic journey tables which provides hooks and customization. Finally new powers that allow for mega-damage/mdc spells and psionics.

On IZ 2.0, I have been doing some data entry for weapons and cybernetics if you want to take a look. It is pretty simple due to my programing skills.

Salcor
salcor is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old June 28th, 2016, 01:22 PM
I've already got all the cyberware in, thanks!

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Fantasy Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Gelfarin

Old July 25th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Is this a project you guys will be working on or is there some licensing issues that might prevent it?
Gelfarin is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old July 25th, 2016, 01:00 PM
It's a Pinnacle release so there shouldn't be any licensing issue. So assuming dartnet is working on it and willing to share it through the official updater then once he's done that and sent it to CapedCrusader for review, and once LoneWolf sets him up to post the data file in the updater then it should be good to go from there.

I would note that the majority of the non-Companion data files are all just fan-created. LoneWolf has the license with Pinnacle (and one or two others) for publishing in HeroLab so they just try to do a thorough check of the file to make sure it's all formatted correctly and such and then they just provide the mechanism for data file authors to publish through HeroLab's update mechanism. Thankfully for us those have all free, too!

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)

Last edited by zarlor; July 25th, 2016 at 01:06 PM.
zarlor is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Gelfarin

Old July 25th, 2016, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the explanation. I don't know if there's a way to do it, but I'd gladly pay for this datafile. I've been tinkering around with the Editor and a bit nervous I'm going to mess something up. Got one whole suit of TW armor added successfully. The next one gives a Toughness bonus and has a Strength requirement. Now if I can figure out how to adjust those...
Gelfarin is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old July 25th, 2016, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfarin View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I don't know if there's a way to do it, but I'd gladly pay for this datafile. I've been tinkering around with the Editor and a bit nervous I'm going to mess something up. Got one whole suit of TW armor added successfully. The next one gives a Toughness bonus and has a Strength requirement. Now if I can figure out how to adjust those...
Just keep at it. It takes practice and patience. Try to find something that does similar somewhere else. There is not a whole lot of documentation, but some of us have shared some methods to do what you want.

Also, test it. Test your things in Creation Mode and as an Advance. Some things work just fine in Creation Mode, but break when taken as an Advance. Messing with gear would not have such a problem, but here are a couple of things to point out:

1) Skills cannot have requirements. This works fine in Creation Mode, but they do not validate correctly while in Advancement mode.

2) Containerreqs only work correctly for things that you do not buy with Advances. For example, they work fine for weapons, armor, gear, vehicles, Races, Groups, and Factions. They break for Skills and Edges when taking them as Advancements. Most people will not care about Contaierreqs anwyay, but as an FYI these are for when you want to get fancy and have something appear only when a source is checked in Configure Hero, and another is not. For example, you might have an item that exists in a type of setting (say a specific time period), but only when the Realms of Cthulu and the time period are both checked, but not for the other time periods.

3) Bootstrapping a skill to a character has a quirk in that if you take the edge or Racial Ability or whatever that gives you the skill, HL wants to charge you for its d4 skill point. The way to get around this is to add an Eval Script that gives you the skill point. As I said, this is how it works in Creation Mode. It does not charge you the skill point when taking it as an Advancement. This has been a dilemma for some as there is no easy way to mark something as taken at Creation or as an Advance, at least not that I have been able to find. Too bad that it is not just a field, in which case the edge that gives the skill could then see if the edge was taken at creation or as an advance and choose correctly as to if it will apply the skill point or not.

I am sure that there are some others, but I cannot think of them at the moment.

A complaint of mine is that you cannot create Derived Traits what will be omitted from being printed out. They would make a great place to store a value for us that we do not want to clutter the sheet with. Likewise, they could be made to only appear when the value is not zero by inserting a simple "no print" statement inside an "if" statement that makes it not want to be printed when it is zero.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
dartnet

Old July 25th, 2016, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlor View Post
It's a Pinnacle release so there shouldn't be any licensing issue. So assuming dartnet is working on it and willing to share it through the official updater then once he's done that and sent it to CapedCrusader for review, and once LoneWolf sets him up to post the data file in the updater then it should be good to go from there.

I would note that the majority of the non-Companion data files are all just fan-created. LoneWolf has the license with Pinnacle (and one or two others) for publishing in HeroLab so they just try to do a thorough check of the file to make sure it's all formatted correctly and such and then they just provide the mechanism for data file authors to publish through HeroLab's update mechanism. Thankfully for us those have all free, too!
I am working a file that I hope to be able to turn in to LoneWolf for official release. It's going to take awhile but the recent update due to the Super Power Companion really helps.
dartnet is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
Gelfarin

Old July 26th, 2016, 12:37 PM
Thanks everyone. To Seelyone thank you for the crash course. I'm still poking around in it and I'm learning a ton. To Dartnet thank you for sharing your talents. I can already tell this is truly a labor of love and gamers like myself can't express enough our appreciation for your efforts. There probably isn't much I can do, but if there's bonehead data entry I can assist with, please PM me and share how.
Gelfarin is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Nephelim

Old July 31st, 2016, 06:08 AM
This is great to hear, guys! As one of the KS supporters and a long time fan of Herolab, I applaud your efforts from the sidelines... I can't offer much for help right now, butI'd be happy to test a file out once you have one ready?
Nephelim is offline   #30 Reply With Quote