Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Kaos

Old January 17th, 2018, 01:26 PM
I may be blind, but where do players sign up to use the web version? I have the main account, but we want to use the player web accounts first to see if they like the tool or not before they put their money into getting the player version.

Thanks!
Kaos is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 18th, 2018, 08:22 AM
There is no web version yet.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old January 18th, 2018, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
............to see if they like the tool or not before they put their money into getting the player version.

Thanks!
Kaos,
At this juncture (IMO) save your players some $, The "players edition" was nearly DOA when it came out, there has been little to change that until the "Content Market" finnnnnally arrives, and LWD can make good on years old promises for delivering a usable players version that actually integrates with the DM version allowing for :
Content reveal by player
Content Reveal by Character
Custom game world calendars
The ability to incorporate character / Player notes if desired into the realm and then mark as true / partly true or false like on the DM side

Just to name a few things on the ever expanding ever waiting list that is not Content Market.

DLG

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old January 19th, 2018, 12:37 AM
Dark Lord Galen is absolutely right. My players seldom use it exactely for those reasons, Kaos.

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old January 19th, 2018, 11:11 AM
To be fair - I have a player, that bought the GM-version and uses it as a player version for my game.

He really enjoys looking up things between sessions and using it as a notebook and reference system during play.

But yes, there is no easy way to transfer reveals immediately from my RW to his. Which I imagine will be a show-killer for a lot of people.

So, for some (a few?) players a Player version of RW will be worth it - for some, not so much.

And yes, we are really longing for the features Dark Lord Galen mentions.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 19th, 2018, 11:22 AM
To the best of my knowledge none of my players ever even installed the player editions I bought them. Certainly none of them use RW at all. I have long hoped that the CM would be done and the long list of wish list items could start getting worked on since player journals are on that list and a couple of my players are serious note takers during sessions

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Dhrakken

Old January 19th, 2018, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
To the best of my knowledge none of my players ever even installed the player editions I bought them. Certainly none of them use RW at all. I have long hoped that the CM would be done and the long list of wish list items could start getting worked on since player journals are on that list and a couple of my players are serious note takers during sessions
I'm in the same boat, I bought 5-6 licenses, can't remember exactly but I know that exactly only 1 player bothered to use it and even at that it was only once because after he showed me what it looked like, I could not in good conscience promote it to anyone else. That was a big waste of money.

Last edited by Dhrakken; January 19th, 2018 at 11:42 AM.
Dhrakken is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old January 20th, 2018, 03:24 AM
Iam taking notes as player + GM in RW. As player it turns out that taking "serious" notes takes too long, though I would wish I could use it to full potential. But it takes too long to create the topics (sometimes multiple necessary) while the GM gives a description.

So mostly I'll just put it in chronological session notes bullet point style, but here RW behaves sluggish if the topics get to large and unwieldly == additional maintenance necessary.

In the future I'll take session notes on notepad / write it down and have to input it in RW as player. This is the best way I think.

As GM RW is great.

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 20th, 2018, 04:37 AM
I'm not sure if player's should be creating topics "on the fly" during sessions.

What I see as the best solution is that they simply open a text input screen where they can input notes. However when saved it gets added to RW under their name and the session date with appropriate linking and reveal state.

That way they could reference their notes between or before sessions and the links would direct them into the rest of the realm.

IMO that would make player edition, and the web edition, something really useful to players and therefore useful to GM's as anything that increases player engagement is a good thing IMO.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old January 20th, 2018, 05:13 AM
kbs666 for sure there are 10 other ways doing this better than I do :P Just described my process. The GM in that round does not use RW - I'm the only one player wise & GM wise.

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #10 Reply With Quote