Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

zarlor

Old April 9th, 2013, 04:45 AM
For the Mythos part, you might consider simply adding a Mythos skill as a workaround, rather than trying to force it into the Knowledge mechanic. You could also post a new thread here with "BUG:" in the title to let the Lone Wolf folks know about that particular issue. It might get lost in this thread so they may not see it. Plus they could let us know if it's not actually a bug but just some mechanic we're missing that way, i would guess.

The Skill die or d4 thing I had to do 2 Hindrances to cover it. It seems the most common method used in Hero Lab for a lot of that kind of stuff (think Half-Elves where you have 2 versions, one with Agility and one with a Free Edge.) The idea with using the Hindrance to bootstrap the skill bonus, though, is so you can not worry about placing that mechanic on the book it all (since the book makes it only temporary while you have it). In that sense having the sanity loss in the Hindrance is just fine as well because curing it is likely just going to be a Permanent modifier to the derived trait that you add in anyway. So I'd leave all of those mechanics in the Hindrance rather than on the tomes and then maybe put a note in the tome descriptions about adding the Hindrance.

So, yes, I agree that sanity and the knowledge/skill/hidden-AB gain should be in a Hindrance and the spells themselves linked to the book.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Endtransmission

Old April 9th, 2013, 07:20 AM
I added the Knowledge issue to one of the stickied threads about open issues, so we'll see if it gets picked up/replied to there

The book and skill changes were split apart this morning and it seems to be working ok so far. The sanity loss is in as an injury as I don't know where it will come from in future books and wanted to make it more generic.

I've a couple of little bits to clean up, then it'll be ready for some limited public testing
Endtransmission is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Endtransmission

Old April 10th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Ooh trying to get this book and the associated spells into Hero Lab is starting to hurt my head.

The tomes of magic need to add new spells to the character via bootstrapping, which means I need to add an arcane background to show the Powers tab and get rid of the errors. In order to group the Mythos powers together and disallow the existing powers, I need to create a new Arcane Background. To prevent people having to add the background manually, I bootstrapped it to everyone in the setting so that anyone can cast spells, which seems to be how the adventures are going. All good so far

While building some of the NPCs in the first adventure book, I've encountered a slight flaw in the whole logic... the Savage Worlds setting only allows one Arcane Background, which would normally be fine because 99% of the characters will not (at this point in time anyway) have access to any of the other arcane backgrounds. Unfortunately one of the NPCs needs to have the skill Faith, which is (as far as I can see) linked to Arcane Background (Miracles) as well as some of the Mythos powers via the book.

I also know that one of the books coming from the kickstarter allows super powers to be mixed into the setting as well, so basically I need to try and work out how to have two arcane backgrounds running on one character. Tricky!
Endtransmission is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 10th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Well, for the Faith issue, by the rules you do NOT need to have an AB to have the relavent skill for that AB. Currently Hero Lab has those hidden by default unless the associated AB is taken, however. I've requested that be fixed, however the only way around it right now is to instead add skFaith on the Preclude tab in the Editor then add a new skACFaith skill copied from skFaith, if you like, but remove the Container Req. on it if you do that, so it will no longer be hidden.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old April 10th, 2013, 02:46 PM
There is a way to have more then one background, but it is a lot of work. I have done it. It's actually more of a work around. but it does work.
jbearwillis is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Endtransmission

Old April 10th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlor View Post
Well, for the Faith issue, by the rules you do NOT need to have an AB to have the relavent skill for that AB.
Really? Reading through my copy of the SW book, Faith only ever gets mentioned in the description of the AB(Miracles) as Faith(Arcane), so I assumed that it wasn't available without that? I also can't see anything in the SW book that limits you to one Arcane Background either, unless I've missed something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbearwillis View Post
There is a way to have more then one background, but it is a lot of work. I have done it. It's actually more of a work around. but it does work.
I don't mind workarounds. Do you have an example of how you did that please?

I appear to be able to add my own Arcane Background(Mythos) after other ABs have been added, but not the other way around. I assume the core SW files preclude the other backgrounds if one of the others has been selected. JBearWillis, let me guess, you're creating your own ABs that match the originals, with the same power breakdowns and then precluding the original ABs?

Last edited by Endtransmission; April 10th, 2013 at 10:39 PM.
Endtransmission is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 11th, 2013, 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endtransmission View Post
Really? Reading through my copy of the SW book, Faith only ever gets mentioned in the description of the AB(Miracles) as Faith(Arcane), so I assumed that it wasn't available without that? I also can't see anything in the SW book that limits you to one Arcane Background either, unless I've missed something?
A lot of folks make the same assumption, but official ruling by Clint Black on the Pinnacle forums has confirmed that all of the AB skills are purchasable by anyone at any time and can be used to make cooperative rolls, even if you don't have the AB itself. This is how, in Hell on Earth Reloaded, you can have a pre-requisite of a skill to even be able to purchase an AB. It's also how folks can have the Weird Science skill to use Weird Science gadgets without having to be a Weird Scientist. (See http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39287)

As for ABs, according to Clint an AB (regardless of its "focus) is a single, unique, Edge, and therefore cannot be taken twice. (See http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32647)

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually

Last edited by zarlor; April 11th, 2013 at 04:49 AM.
zarlor is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Endtransmission

Old April 11th, 2013, 05:17 AM
Hmm thanks for that. I guess that means that the way I've approached the Mythos spells needs a serious rethink then. This could also explain why the Realms of Cthulhu data file doesn't include spells as it handles them in the same way as Achtung! Cthulhu
Endtransmission is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 11th, 2013, 05:54 AM
Well, yeah that's the official ruling on ABs, but... there seems to me to be two ways to handle spells like that when dealing with the Hero Lab program. Either you set up an AB to open up that Arcane tab so you can bootstrap them to the character (and then having to work around that if you ever need to give a character a "real" AB), or you require the Fantasy Companion Add-On for Hero Lab and then use the Magic Item mechanic to add it into an item.

EDIT: Well, I suppose there is also a 3rd way, which is to simply create the item with a description about what it does and leave it to the player to deal with handling it.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Endtransmission

Old April 11th, 2013, 06:15 AM
If it was just for me, I'd be fine with the Fantasy Companion workaround, but I'd rather not assume everyone has it available and try to work out how to get two Arcane Backgrounds (or something else) working
Endtransmission is offline   #30 Reply With Quote