Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

Endtransmission

Old April 8th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Cool, thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a play with the hindrances tonight... it sounds like that's probably the best way to go with the after effects of having the book.

There is another issue that I've got with the book/skills, but I'll come back to that after I've locked off this one
Endtransmission is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old April 8th, 2013, 10:50 AM
NP - We try. LOL - hope it does what you want - If not we go back to the drawing board.
jbearwillis is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Endtransmission

Old April 8th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Hmmm. Interesting issue with my attempt to create the after effects as a hindrance... With the Equipment entry I'd bootstrapped the Knowledge (Mythos) skill as:

<bootstrap thing="skKnow">
<assignval field="domDomain" value="mythos"/>
</bootstrap>

This works and adds the full knowledge skill, including the Mythos value.

If I use exactly the same three lines of code in the Hindrance, it creates the Knowledge skill, but doesn't fill in the mythos value, which seems... odd. Bootstrapping other equipment or an injury with the hindrance is fine.

jbearwillis, I had a look through all the different Savage Worlds data files for your Harrowed entry. I found the hindrance and bootstrapped edge in HoER.user, were these ones you were talking about?
Endtransmission is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old April 8th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Well that is zarlors file with a little help from me. We added a faction to that which you won't need or at least I wouldn't figure you would need to add that. Not sure if he got it in the hell on earth file, but I know it's in his Deadland Noir file and yes it's the Harrowed Hindrance. Weird I just made a hindrance and bootstrapped the knowledge skill with mythos as the focus and it showed up for me -
jbearwillis is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 8th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endtransmission View Post
Hmmm. Interesting issue with my attempt to create the after effects as a hindrance... With the Equipment entry I'd bootstrapped the Knowledge (Mythos) skill as:

<bootstrap thing="skKnow">
<assignval field="domDomain" value="mythos"/>
</bootstrap>

This works and adds the full knowledge skill, including the Mythos value.

If I use exactly the same three lines of code in the Hindrance, it creates the Knowledge skill, but doesn't fill in the mythos value, which seems... odd. Bootstrapping other equipment or an injury with the hindrance is fine.
Are you sure you didn't typo something? That works fine for me. Are you doing that with direct editing in the file? If so you might try looking at it from the Editor just in case.

Quote:
jbearwillis, I had a look through all the different Savage Worlds data files for your Harrowed entry. I found the hindrance and bootstrapped edge in HoER.user, were these ones you were talking about?
Either DLNoir or HoER should have what he worked out for me on the Harrowed Hindrance and using that method to "hide" a derived trait with a containerreq. (Unless he meant something else about pointing out the Harrowed thing.)

EDIT: JBear snuck in a response on me!

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old April 8th, 2013, 02:03 PM
I see what is happening - when the character is locked in advancement mode knowledge skills for some reason doesn't bootstrap the value for the knowledge skill. I don't know if that is a limit to the program or what. I need to play around a little to see if there is a way to get it to work.
jbearwillis is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old April 8th, 2013, 02:20 PM
I wonder why it won't bootstrap the Value of the domDomain when in Advancement mode - it will only do it in creation mode. That's very puzzling to say the least.
jbearwillis is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 8th, 2013, 02:56 PM
I would guess that might be a bug, or maybe just a missed function. I don't really see anything in the documentation that should preclude domDomain from working the same way in Advancement mode as it does on Creation.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Endtransmission

Old April 8th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Glad it's not just me that can't get that bit working... it was driving me mad (how appropriate!)

Reading the Realms of Cthulhu book a bit more, I think the sanity loss will need to just be a manual addition when they read the book as the sanity can be cured with therapy; which you can't do if it's bootstrapped to the Hindrance. The general HL error checking does warn that the Knowledge skill hasn't been completed, so I've put a note in the Hindrance text to note that they will need to add Mythos manually until a workaround is found.

The other issue I am having seems to be the same one that Zalor was having in his +1 Skill die or start with d4 thread. Did you ever get a response on that, other than to have two different hindrances? I've created two hindrances for use after you get rid of the book to either add, or increase Knowledge (Mythos), but that doesn't really help with the book itself, unless I have two copies of the book...

I'm currently trying to work out if there is a better way of handling the book as there will be others in the future. Current thinking (which may not be the best on 2 hours sleep) is that the sanity and knowledge effects should be removed from the book altogether and just handled as the hindrances/injuries that come into play when you translate the book. Only the spells should remain bootstrapped to the books.

With that all now up and running with workarounds... back to typing in equipment and spells :/
Endtransmission is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Endtransmission

Old April 8th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbearwillis View Post
I see what is happening - when the character is locked in advancement mode knowledge skills for some reason doesn't bootstrap the value for the knowledge skill. I don't know if that is a limit to the program or what. I need to play around a little to see if there is a way to get it to work.
The weird thing here though is that bootstrapping exactly the same skill with a piece of equipment still works once the character is locked; it just seems to be failing when the bootstrap is on a hindrance.
Endtransmission is offline   #20 Reply With Quote