Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

John
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 19th, 2012, 01:09 PM
We've begun releasing data files for select Savage Settings directly through Hero Lab! In case you missed the announcement in our newsletter, you can find it here.

The Savage Settings are listed in the Update Mechanism Window in Hero Lab. From the Select a Game window, click on the "Find Updates" button. This will open a window listing available updates. You'll see items in the list that begin with "Savage Settings:", after which the Setting name is listed. Select the entry for the Setting(s) you'd like, and click the "Download" button. After Hero Lab has downloaded the update, you'll see the "Import New Data Files Into Hero Lab" window. Simply click the "Start Import" button to bring the files into Hero Lab.

If the data file author updates the data file after you've imported it, you'll see an indication that an update is available.
John is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 21st, 2012, 11:12 PM
A note on these newly available updates... These files have been re-factored to comply with naming rules for the unique ids of everything. These changes were necessary to avoid collisions between data sets. This way, different Settings can have an item with the same name that doesn't act the same way.

The arcane power Succor is a good example. In Savage Worlds Deluxe and the Fantasy Companion, Succor can be used on anyone, including the caster. In Deadlands: Reloaded, the caster may not use it on themselves. In other Settings, the caster can use it on themselves but at a penalty for each point of Wounds or Fatigue they have.

Since they all have different effects, they each needs their own record. These changes affect the names the system uses in the background, and for the most part should be invisible to everyone. This way, data file authors don't have to play "who named it first?" when writing data files. It's a necessary step as these files are set up for automatic updates. The changes were pretty extensive, so if you encounter any oddness in using these new files, please let us know.

Last edited by CapedCrusader; June 21st, 2012 at 11:15 PM.
CapedCrusader is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
John
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 14th, 2012, 12:55 PM
A data file for Rippers is now available through the Updates Mechanism in Hero Lab. As with the previous Settings that have been built and shared directly through Hero Lab by a member of the user community, this Setting is available as a free download and was released through Hero Lab with the permission of Pinnacle.

See the first post in this thread for information on how to access the Rippers data file!
John is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
dragonwithlotus

Old October 17th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Hi,

I have been trying to download the Ripper's data file and I keep getting the following message:

The selected file is not a valid import file for Hero Lab. If the file was downloaded, it was likely corrupted, so please try downloading the file again.

any thoughts?

Thanks!

Ron
dragonwithlotus is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
erian_7

Old October 17th, 2012, 08:49 PM
I'm getting the same thing on all the Savage Settings downloads.
erian_7 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
elfnfb

Old October 18th, 2012, 03:35 AM
Same problem here.
elfnfb is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 24th, 2012, 07:39 PM
If you get an error message, please try again another time. The files are on one of my websites that's hosted on a server farm somewhere near Seattle. They've been having issues with the servers up there and it's been up and down way more than usual lately. I've had this site on these servers for over 15 years and have never had problems like this before. I sincerely apologize for any difficulties downloading the Savage Worlds Setting files.
CapedCrusader is online now   #7 Reply With Quote
Canderous

Old March 1st, 2013, 01:38 AM
I downloaded an update for Savage Worlds on Hero Lab, but now I can't seem to use any Savage Settings I have (They do not appear under the user content on the Character Configuration Screen). Have you changed their locations? Or are they incompatible with version 2.5?
Canderous is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
elfnfb

Old March 7th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canderous View Post
I downloaded an update for Savage Worlds on Hero Lab, but now I can't seem to use any Savage Settings I have (They do not appear under the user content on the Character Configuration Screen). Have you changed their locations? Or are they incompatible with version 2.5?
Having the same trouble. Any ideas?
elfnfb is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old March 7th, 2013, 04:38 PM
I've had no issues with mine. Everything is still in the same location as it ever was, too. If you don't want to wait for an official response you might try doing a re-install and seeing if that fixes it (be sure to back up any of your own .user files, though!)

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #10 Reply With Quote