Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 21st, 2013, 12:25 PM
Since Rob is concentrating on Realm Works right now, and hasn't had enough time to assist the Savage Worlds folks recently, I'll be helping out. I am not familiar with the Savage Worlds game, but I am experienced in Hero Lab (I've built the Cortex, Call of Cthulhu, and Shadowrun games), so I should be able to offer help with any outstanding questions about Savage Worlds.

If you know of any questions that need to be answered, I'd appreciate it if you could bump that thread, or post a link to the thread here, or PM me with the link. If it's a long thread, please point me to exactly where I should look for the issue you're having trouble with.

Please remember that I don't own any Savage Worlds books (I can probably get a hold of many of them if it becomes necessary), so please give me a lot of information about what you're trying to accomplish, and where you're stuck, because I won't be able to look up the rules for myself.
Mathias is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old March 21st, 2013, 12:33 PM
Welcome to our little corner of Hero Lab, Mathias. I think there are just a few little threads left hanging that we haven't quite worked out all the way yet, although I think a few of them are on CapedCrusader's plate that he was going to get back to us on when things started settling down with all the other stuff he's got going on right now. Let me see if I can put something together for you on those and get back to you shortly.

If it helps I don't think any of them would be anything you'd need a Savage Worlds book for, they are just semi-obscure code issues several of us are running into, mostly.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old March 21st, 2013, 01:31 PM
Here's a quick list of onesI think may still need an answer:

Not allowing an Attribute to be raised after character creation
Bootstrapping a Minion - This one is now just down now to seeing if we can define specifically what the minion is. In that case a specific Creature, but I wouldn't mind known if I could also send specs for an NPC minion as well.
CapCrusader: This one is one you might have to answer - This one's about greying out a box on the config window. Maybe just something in the settings .1st file will handle it, but not too sure there. CapedCrusader does mention getting back to JBear on that one, when he gets a chance, though.
Bootstrapping a "Source"

And I seem to remember something about an issue with how to let a Trait go above d12+2 or something, but I can't find the thread at the moment. I'll look again when I get a chance.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 27th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Welcome, Mathias!!
CapedCrusader is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Endtransmission

Old April 9th, 2013, 04:38 AM
Welcome! We've a weird one over in my thread, where a Knowledge skill bootstrapped onto a Hindrance will not add the Domain value once the character enters Advancement mode. The same bootstrap code on a piece of equipment, however, works.
Endtransmission is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ghostman

Old February 13th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Is there a tutorial thread anywhere that will help me set up a developer environment? I know CapedCrusader showed me how he has multiple setups and usually does new setting file development in a 'clean' environment. I just don't know the details of setting one up.

I'd like to know for both platforms - mac and windows. Thanks!
[edit - I figured it out.. there's a pull-down menu option to set up a copy.]

Last edited by ghostman; February 13th, 2014 at 10:59 AM.
ghostman is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old February 24th, 2014, 05:13 PM
I didn't really post on this before, but it looks like you found what you were looking for. Personally I don't both with making a copy of the setting. I just go to my data/savage folder and created an Official folder and a House Rules folder under there (you could name them whatever you wanted to, of course) then I move any .user files I didn't want to work on into the appropriate folder there, leaving just the file or files I wanted to have show up in the base data/savage folder. It's always good to make sure you back those folders up, just in case you copy something incorrectly, although for the Official folder you can always just re-download those. At any rate that probably takes up a little less space if that's a concern at all, but I think either way works great. It just depends on what you prefer, I think.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Lowsonic

Old May 8th, 2017, 01:03 AM
Hi Mathias

A couple of questions:

How do I define a "source"?

Also, in Tropicana, the "Mixed Martial Arts" requires a character to have at least two "Martial Style" edges of the six available. Would you know how to set a requirement like that?

Best regards
Nick
Lowsonic is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old May 8th, 2017, 04:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowsonic View Post
Hi Mathias

A couple of questions:

How do I define a "source"?

Also, in Tropicana, the "Mixed Martial Arts" requires a character to have at least two "Martial Style" edges of the six available. Would you know how to set a requirement like that?

Best regards
Nick
I might suggest it would be best to ask those questions in their own thread on the forum. Matthias checks in here only irregularly and there are those in the community who could likely help you a little more quickly.

As to yoru questions. A source can be defined in a few ways. Probably the easiest within the editor is just on whatever you are creating in there click on the "Edit" button on the entry that says "Sources" on that thing and check the "-New Source-" checkbox. It will then ask you for "Source Name" and UniqueID. The Source Name is what you want to see in the list when you Configure a character and can include spaces, the UniqueID is just a shorthand form of that and should not include spaces (although it can include an underscore "_" if you like).

The most persistent way is to create a .1st files. If you look in the savage data directory you'll probably see other .1st files in there (especially if you've downloaded any of the extra settings files) which will give you and example of how to create one of those. Feel free to ask around here (maybe in a separate thread, though) if you need some help!

On the Edges question, take a look at the "Common Code Examples" thread stickied at the top of this forum and see if that helps any.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually

Last edited by zarlor; May 8th, 2017 at 04:35 AM.
zarlor is offline   #9 Reply With Quote