Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
jfrazierjr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 122

Old October 19th, 2017, 06:42 PM
So, I don't know if this is depending upon the game system or not(and in case it is, right this second I am talking about Savage Worlds), but I am wondering about something.

When a portfolio is saved, does it keep track of the order picks were taken in(even across thinks of different type). Likewise does it keep track of if the pick was taken as part of initial creation OR during advancements?


For the first question for example, during creation, I put 2 points into Agility which increases my agility from d4 to d8.

I then add 3 points to the Fighting Skill which increases my Fighting from d4 to d10.

I then go back to Add another point to Agility and it is increased to d10


So what i am asking is, does the portfolio contain something like(please note that this is a generic representation of the concept, not what I am expecting to see):

<Agility from="d4" to="d6" />
<Agility from="d6" to="d8" />
<Fighting from="d4" to="d6" />
<Fighting from="d6" to="d8" />
<Fighting from="d8" to="d10" />
<Agility from="d8" to="d10" />




I took a look in a test portfolio and could not make heads or tales of the contents.. This is important as in Savage Worlds, the order of how things are chosen is important for the math and I MAY have a need to reverse engineer save portfolio and rebuild a character. In essence, I have a few existing characters but am considering re-writing the Savage Worlds using the Authoring Kit and want to make sure I can completely rebuild the existing characters exactly as they are.
jfrazierjr is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Senior Member
Volunteer Data File Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,431

Old October 20th, 2017, 04:32 AM
It depends on implementation. Generally, things done after creation are handled as Advancements, and those are stored in order of adding.

As regards Savage Worlds, at the risk of stating something you already know about, there's a walkthrough for implementing it which is more or less the tutorial for the Authoring Kit.
Duggan is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
jfrazierjr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 122

Old October 20th, 2017, 04:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
It depends on implementation. Generally, things done after creation are handled as Advancements, and those are stored in order of adding.

As regards Savage Worlds, at the risk of stating something you already know about, there's a walkthrough for implementing it which is more or less the tutorial for the Authoring Kit.
Yes, thanks. I know about the partial tutorial and since the source for SW is already there, I can do a lot of copy/paste/edit IF I do end up deciding to build my own(unlike other game systems where it's more copy from pdf and thus far more work for the same output). Of course, the wiki has not been updated in a decade or so and is out of date on some of the general practices.
jfrazierjr is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Senior Member
Volunteer Data File Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,431

Old October 20th, 2017, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
Yes, thanks. I know about the partial tutorial and since the source for SW is already there, I can do a lot of copy/paste/edit IF I do end up deciding to build my own(unlike other game systems where it's more copy from pdf and thus far more work for the same output). Of course, the wiki has not been updated in a decade or so and is out of date on some of the general practices.
Yeah. The wiki being stagnant is a real pain. The forum is helpful, but only if you can get attention, and Matthias has been pulled away for Starfinder work lately.
Duggan is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Senior Member
Lone Wolf Staff
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 12,795

Old October 20th, 2017, 08:17 AM
Have you tried debugging the fields on the advances? Take a look at two different advancements of the same attribute - what field values are recorded for those advances?

Here's the wiki page where the answers to your question about how to tell if something was added in advancement or creation can be found: http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....get_References

Just a note, Duggan, since you've misspelled it in a few posts - my name only has one "t".
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
jfrazierjr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 122

Old October 20th, 2017, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Have you tried debugging the fields on the advances? Take a look at two different advancements of the same attribute - what field values are recorded for those advances?

Here's the wiki page where the answers to your question about how to tell if something was added in advancement or creation can be found: http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....get_References


Thanks. I have used the debugging stuff before a tiny, tiny bit to see what specific fields have values after a bootstrap(ie, a race bootstraps an edge or whatever and that edge then sets field X to a value y) to make sure things got set the way they wanted. I have also put in a debug or two in script evals just to make sure my logic was right, but only a few times.

I have seen the iscreate and isadvance, but did not see in the portfolio xml files, so perhaps i just missed them. I could not remember those two field names and so was just visually scanning the files looking for patterns that stuck out to me.... now that I know the name of the fields, I can actually perform a "find", and ultimately possibly a xmlparser to handle a print out of what was taken in what order.
jfrazierjr is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Senior Member
Volunteer Data File Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,431

Old October 21st, 2017, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Just a note, Duggan, since you've misspelled it in a few posts - my name only has one "t".
Sorry. I will try to amend my usage in the future.
Duggan is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
wolflair.com copyright ©1998-2016 Lone Wolf Development, Inc. View our Privacy Policy here.